Author Topic: PCB Layouters wanted  (Read 12639 times)

Offline free_electronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
PCB Layouters wanted
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
Altium expertise is a must. - Silicon Valley area.
Looking for both Junior and seniors.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: PCB Layouters wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
Jobs offers without salaries always go do well here...

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 12:12:29 am »
Show your work first. Then we'll talk.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 12:51:27 am »

Can I haz job now?

Offline ignator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:00 am »
Quote from: ovnr on Today at 07:51:27 PM>Quote from: free_electron on Today at 07:12:29 PM>Quote from: Towger on Today at 05:00:46 PM

Can I haz job now?

That looks like a Zuken CR5000 auto route job.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:10:47 am »

Ok, fine, you got me.  You've uncovered the one reason why it suck sto live in Australia.  NO CHANCE OF WORKING FOR TESLA.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:48:37 am »

Ok, fine, you got me.  You've uncovered the one reason why it suck sto live in Australia.  NO CHANCE OF WORKING FOR TESLA.

My boss is from NZ what makes you think you can't work in the US?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:35:10 am »
You could freelance, then you could work in NZ for someone in the USA! USA! USA!

Layouters... interesting choice of wording!

ovnr, my sense of humour, had me chuckling for 5 mins! :-+

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 02:21:15 pm »

Can I haz job now?

The team that made the AMC Gremlin and Ford Pinto is hiring. You'll be top designer there.

Why is it that on this forum we always get the people that think they are funny. A job posting is placed and immediately it is swamped with idiots posting 'funny' pictures and whiners wanting to know what it shakes first before even showing what THEY can do.

Sometimes i wonder why i even bother. You people don't deserve a job.
If i find an empty ,damp, cardboard box under a bridge somewhere, i'll post that instead. I can see now, how that would be of more interest.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 02:33:02 pm »
A good job advert describes the kind of projects people get to work on, where the job is, entitlements, vacactions days, salary indication, etc. I'd suggest to look at job adverts before posting one line saying 'I'm hiring PCB layouters'. Only after you put the effort into a serious job advert you'll be rewarded with serious answers  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
  • Freelancer - Persnicketist - Do'er of stuff
    • Asmyldof's Home. It's old, not quite impressive, but it's there.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »
Why is it that on this forum we always get the people that think they are funny. A job posting is placed and immediately it is swamped with idiots posting 'funny' pictures and whiners wanting to know what it shakes first before even showing what THEY can do.

If i find an empty ,damp, cardboard box under a bridge somewhere, i'll post that instead. I can see now, how that would be of more interest.

To me, the reason I 'appreciated' the image response is somewhat complex. It has nothing to with the first question about money however. More with the original posting of "Jobs available, to do with Altium". Expecting eloquent and flowing responses showing full resumes on something not even 20 words long is unrealistic. At least, here in Europe it is, maybe that's different in the US.
If I'm going to put time in applying for something and going through the subsequent more and less relevant phone calls, I want to be able to judge at least if there's any point in it. Let's assume I do live in Silicon Valley or want to move there within the next month (I don't). Can I design in Altium? Yes. Will I want a job designing whatever in Altium? No. There's many things I'm not going to spend my time on that would still technically have Altium as a requirement, so listings like these don't pass my ignore filter at all, too much risk of wasting time that someone else is already willing to pay me for as a consultant.

So, in my opinion, if you can't handle a little ridicule in a place like this, you need to be more specific and clear.
As with anything in life and technology, you only get out what you put the effort in for.
If it's a puzzle, I want to solve it.
If it's a problem, I need to solve it.
If it's an equation... mjeh, I've got Matlab
(not really though, Matlab annoys me).

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:57:40 pm »
@nctnico and @Asmildof

Strange, because to me it reads:

For people that frequent this forum and know where I work (as in weeding out the randoms) there is an opening at a company that has an incredible growth rate and we are looking for several positions on circuit design.

And just adding the location it tells me that the salaries are going to be competitive for that area.

I'm a well paid software engineer, but if I was a well paid electrical engineer that was good, I would have at least contacted him already.

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:11 pm »
OK, criticism accepted.

But : has it ever crossed your mind i am not at liberty to say more ? There are jobs where we can't discuss the projects or what specifically it is you will be working on. Same goes for benefits package and compensation. First you need to fit the requirements. The rest will follow.

Boards can be anywhere from a single sided board with nothing more than a switch and a connector to 22+ layer monsters with 5000+ components and 2000 pin BGA's on it.
Can be anywhere from circuitry working in the nanovolt and picoampere domain to boards with embedded copper slugs transporting 200+ ampere . DC to RF. Creating footprints , symbols , output generation, meshing with Fabs ( bare board fabbing as well as assembly ) to solve MF problems (DFM). Expertise with mechanical meshing is a + ( Solidworks / Catia ) to do base operations such as board contour extraction from a mechanical model , making sure the parts placement doesn't interfere with the mechanical world.

Of course we don't expect you to do everything. That's why there is a team. Each one has his / her specialty. That's also why we are looking for both juniors and seniors.

The focus is on your technical expertise first. Ask yourself this question : Do i want the highest paying job in the world where all i do is push a button  and be bored all day long ? or do i want a job where i will be able to deploy my skills , learn a metric ton of exciting new stuff and will make a true change for the world (and have fund doing it)?

If you are not in the right mindset : don't even bother. Like Miguelvp said : The frequent flyers know where i work and where it is located. So in that case you know it's not BS and i can't spend time interviewing oodles of 'duino'-level 'designers' who can barely draw a straight line in 'glorified pen and paper cad'. Let's not waste each others time and effort.

Also remark the plural form of Layouter... this isn't for 1 or 2 ... we need mulitple.

Anyway, i've gotten one really good reply (private) from a fresh-out of school guy that showed his graduation project board. He's got a billion times more chance getting in than the 'funny guys' giving me flack about this posting and showing their led board. So who's winning now ?

Really, i know this board is lighthearted and we all like to poke fun at each other.
But once in a while you need to know when something serious comes along.

Anyway , Serious candidates : PM me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:20:41 pm by free_electron »

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 03:11:28 pm »
@nctnico and @Asmildof

Strange, because to me it reads:

For people that frequent this forum and know where I work (as in weeding out the randoms) there is an opening at a company that has an incredible growth rate and we are looking for several positions on circuit design.

And just adding the location it tells me that the salaries are going to be competitive for that area.

I'm a well paid software engineer, but if I was a well paid electrical engineer that was good, I would have at least contacted him already.

As I said, there's Altium Work and there's Altium Work.
If ASML calls for either HW or SW positions I also know that it's a huge company that pays well and has a lot of exciting positions, but if they then only say "Hey, we have a job to do with Coding" and expect me to tell an hour story about me and all my experience, I'm hanging up, because they have a lot of crap jobs that they might "find me for" as well that "are to do with coding". As such also jobs with Altium can be soul eating, even in the most amazing company built entirely of unicorn farts and magic rainbows.

The following users thanked this post: blackfin76

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »
OK, criticism accepted.

But : has it ever crossed your mind i am not at liberty to say more ? There are jobs where we can't discuss the projects or what specifically it is you will be working on. Same goes for benefits package and compensation. First you need to fit the requirements. The rest will follow.

Boards can be anywhere from a single sided board with nothing more than a switch and a connector to 22+ layer monsters with 5000+ components and 2000 pin BGA's on it.
Can be anywhere from circuitry working in the nanovolt and picoampere domain to boards with embedded copper slugs transporting 200+ ampere . DC to RF. Creating footprints , symbols , output generation, meshing with Fabs ( bare board fabbing as well as assembly ) to solve MF problems (DFM). Expertise with mechanical meshing is a + ( Solidworks / Catia ) to do base operations such as board contour extraction from a mechanical model , making sure the parts placement doesn't interfere with the mechanical world.

Of course we don't expect you to do everything. That's why there is a team. Each one has his / her specialty. That's also why we are looking for both juniors and seniors.

THAT post, is one I would actually honestly respond to, possibly even if it's not in an area I plan on living in the short term.
It shows you put some thought into what people might expect from a posting, but acknowledge that you cannot tell all in a public forum\, but that there may be interesting things for all looking. Add to that "to apply for this you need to send me (or this web form:...) these things and I WILL send you a message regardless", and you have an awesome job posting.

Just "Hey, might be a job here" leaves all that up to our guessing.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 03:17:37 pm »
OK, criticism accepted.

If you can't take about salary then surely the name of the company should be a minimum? Is this a start-up or established company etc?

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 03:24:40 pm »
Frequent forummers know where i work. So you can see that as an additional layer of weeding out the randoms from the serious. It works both ways you know. As a candidate it pays dividends finding out who posts it and where it comes from.
When applying for a position you may want to do your own 'homework' too ...

Let's say it's an established company but operates as a startup. It makes big headlines almost every week, if not daily.
Its products makes heads turn when one zooms by, almost silently, leaving the traditional products behind in an ion trail.
It's named after on of the biggest electric geniuses that ever lived. It's market cap is half that of Ford motors and it's often touted as the next 'fruity' company.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:35:35 pm by free_electron »

Offline Asmyldof

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 03:45:26 pm »
See my other response on that. No company is holy, all of them have a lot of uninteresting stuff going on.

It just keeps coming down to, just saying there's a job and just saying "show me something" is not going to get you a serious response, unless you are a renowned guru of whatever subject it is about, leading the worldwide company in that area and you have droves of fanboys drooling over the opportunity to work for you regardless the parameters. (Call it the Jobs or Gates effect)

If you say, "Hey, we have 5/10/20/50 jobs over at my company, they are all in Altium design work, they cover any range between this and that subject, we are looking to hire professionals and starters, but a minimum of half a year of Altium experience is required. Cannot tell too much about the job contents, but if you think you might be interested send me a message with your resume, not older than 6 months and at least one example of something you designed in Altium with some decent detail (source files not always required)." That says EVERYTHING you have posted, nothing you can't post, but it does show people that you or your company is being serious about it.

And to be honest, who you are, what company you work for, all irrelevant to me if I read a message like that, because your company says nothing about the people I will have to be working with, so it's going to come down to meeting/skyping anyway. But scraping together what little of my Altium work that's not been sold off or done under NDA isn't something I can do in 5 minutes, so it's not something I will do as a response to a message that didn't even take 5 minutes to write, nor to the response "show your work". Even if you were my closest personal friend and I knew everything about you, that wouldn't do it for me.

I'm just trying to explain how it works our side of the screen, what you do with it is up to you, but I'm not trying to upset you or annoy you, I'm trying to help you create ads that will get less of the "heh, here's my junk, job now" from the jokers and more of the "Awesome! Who do I call?" from the real pros.

Offline ozwolf

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 04:38:58 pm »
See ...

I'm just trying to explain how it works our side of the screen, what you do with it is up to you, but I'm not trying to upset you or annoy you, I'm trying to help you create ads that will get less of the "heh, here's my junk, job now" from the jokers and more of the "Awesome! Who do I call?" from the real pros.

Hmmm, if you knew who free_electron is, I don't think you would be having this conversation.

Not sure who said this, but

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." :blah:

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 05:37:53 pm »
See ...

Hmmm, if you knew who free_electron is, I don't think you would be having this conversation.
Maybe he does and that is the reason for this conversation...
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 05:48:32 pm »

As if you're never flippant when people ask serious questions.

Sheesh. of all people... ;)
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 09:18:20 pm »

I know and that is why I asked the basic question on salary.  It is in one of the most expensive places in the world to live and there have been problems with salary fixing between companies in the area.
Tell someone from india the job pays 50k and they think great. Then they arrive see the cost of living and their dream of a having a nice modest house and bringing their family over are shattered.

Basically, the advert lacks details and other requirements for the job.  Vincent could find a great person with lots of skills. Spend time and money interviewing them etc. But HR will have their own requirements and if the applicant does not meet them they don't get hired.
I have seen this happen multiple times in the past.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »
If I would be a layouter looking seriously for a job at that locality, the original posting would more than enough for me to shoot a PM to FE, asking for more details.

Job postings here should be locked after the first post.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:33:32 pm by zapta »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 10:01:50 pm »
Frequent forummers know where i work. So you can see that as an additional layer of weeding out the randoms from the serious. It works both ways you know. As a candidate it pays dividends finding out who posts it and where it comes from.
When applying for a position you may want to do your own 'homework' too ...

Let's say it's an established company but operates as a startup. It makes big headlines almost every week, if not daily.
Its products makes heads turn when one zooms by, almost silently, leaving the traditional products behind in an ion trail.
It's named after on of the biggest electric geniuses that ever lived. It's market cap is half that of Ford motors and it's often touted as the next 'fruity' company.

Any chance you can add some noise to your lovely products? I almost got run over in a car park the other week when I didn't hear one approach.

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 10:06:41 pm »
I know and that is why I asked the basic question on salary.
It is perfectly fine to ask such a question, but you will find , in silicon valley, that salaries are very rarely mentioned. Companies first want to see what you can bring to the table. If they are interested they will make sure they get you. If you bring expertise and or a skill they deem valuable they will make sure the 'package' entices you.

Here is some work we need done , we are willing to pay this. That is good if you are looking for freelancers or subcontractors. We don't need 'polygon pushers' (i know, very bad form and politically incorrect to call em that). That we can subcontract anywhere.

This is different. We look for full time people that bring skills and know-how and believe in the product and the company. If there is a match there , the rest will follow.

First find people with a passion for board design, then check if they click culture wise (need the right level of fanboiism for what we do), then do whatever is required to get them on board. In that order.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf