General > Jobs

The Skills of a Pro

(1/3) > >>

ondo:
Hi there, I'm currently reading "So good they can't ignore you" by Cal Newport, and that make me thing about the skills of a good engineer.

We have a lot of posts and stuff about the skills you need to have for a hobbist level, but not much about the skills that make one stand out in EE, and I thought it was something interesting to talk about.

I've been working for 5 years now in the field, and I don't have much of a clear answer. In fact, most senior I've worked with don't show much of a skill in the field. What's your take?

EDIT: Reposted in General, I tried to delete with no luck :P

zapta:

--- Quote from: ondo on September 29, 2015, 11:56:18 am ---... most senior I've worked with don't show much of a skill in the field.

--- End quote ---

Or possibly you overlook some very important skills, like people skills.

bson:

--- Quote from: zapta on September 29, 2015, 04:03:44 pm ---Or possibly you overlook some very important skills, like people skills.

--- End quote ---
Or making hard problems look easy with obvious, understandable solutions.

Edit: and, by corollary, break huge problems into smaller more easily verified pieces that have minimal complexity between them.  It's the hallmark of the junior engineer to come up with something immensely complicated with huge numbers of variables, knobs, controls, adjustments; stuff that's untestable and fragile, that solves all possible problems whether real or imagined, yet is effectively not reusable.

ECEdesign:
Sounds like an interesting thread as a student!

tggzzz:
Get in touch with your national engineering organisation, e.g. IET or IEEE.
Locate your local branch.
Find a mentor, go to local meetings and chat with other engineers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version