Author Topic: uBeam - Electrical Engineer  (Read 23232 times)

Offline LabSpokaneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
uBeam - Electrical Engineer
« on: June 12, 2015, 05:44:49 pm »
[Standard Disclaimer: I understand the 1/r^2 law and am in no way associated with uBeam.]

http://ubeam.com/careers/electrical-engineer/

We are hiring.
Our engineering team is comprised of world-class multidisciplinary inventors, where the word “impossible” is not part of our lexicon. We take pride in solving complex technological problems quickly, across many fields. At uBeam, we go from PowerPoint to prototype in a month or less. We’re on a mission to untether the world, and we’re in search of new blood to join the team.

We’re seeking hands on, dedicated people who are driven to push the boundaries of technology, people who are not looking for a typical 9-to-5 desk job, who are looking to make tectonic shifts in the world of electricity.
Open Positions

Mechanical / Electrical Engineer

Acoustics / Piezoelectric Engineers

================================

Electrical Engineer

Junior to Senior Levels Required

Seeking Electrical Engineers to work on uBeam transmitter and receiver systems.  Senior level candidates should have experience / qualifications matching the majority of requirements, junior level candidates with more limited experience are desired as well, and will be additionally trained on-the-job.

EE candidates will be responsible for the design, integration, and qualification of the electronics systems.  The ideal candidate has designed high volume, high power, high-quality consumer electronics products with a consistent focus on product design as well as attention to detail.  The candidate will work closely with in-house and contract engineering teams (EE, Acoustic) to develop complete solutions.  They will work with the rest of the team to design, develop, and bring the products from concept to production.

Applicant are desired with experience in the following areas:

Electrical engineering design/engineering/build/test
Acoustic transducer driver (or low frequency power amplifier) & interface electronics
Electronics simulation (eg SPICE), design optimization, and model iteration using experimental data
Mixed signal (analog & digital) ASIC design
Battery charging and power management electronics
Microcontroller programming and architecture
PCB design, engineering, build, and test experience
Key differentiator is specific experience in all common methods of PCB fabrication and assembly (etch/mill/stencil/pick-place/etc)
Design AND build experience with high density PCBs
Chip-on-board & flex circuit design experience
Consumer electronics design experience
Electronics production and manufacturing experience
Experience in selecting EE components, writing detailed electrical specification of the system interface, and test plan documents
Communication of design requirements to fabrication houses
Define Design for Manufacturing (DFM) guidelines
Prototype build, test, and debugging
Working with vendors/suppliers/manufacturing partners
Experience in analyzing trade-offs between performance, manufacturability and cost
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:51:23 pm by LabSpokane »

Offline Icarus

• Regular Contributor
Re: uBeam - Electrical Engineer
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:09 am »
Thx Bro. I'm going to send my cv right now.

By the way; Transferring energy via ultrasound is quite dangerous for us -flesh and blood creatures- because if somebody get in the way of focused ultrasound beam, their blood may degasify or worse.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 10:36:52 am by Icarus »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:43:28 pm »
Heads up, she just loves us "jaded" "narrow minded" "linear thinking" "prejudiced" engineers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=805&v=ukgnU2aXM2c

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »
Heads up, she just loves us "jaded" "narrow minded" "linear thinking" "prejudiced" engineers!

Oh, TED Church!

So she "designs" and pay others to do it? That reminds me of Dilbert boss.

Narrow minded people is everywhere, some are bosses that consider narrow minded to an entire professional collective.

Translation:
- Low wages, expect your salary may not come due to "economic issues".
- You are going to live there, expect massive crunching.
- You'll be fired when the project works or is a massive failure.
- Even if you show something doesn't work, she'll say you to keep trying. If you fail, you'll get fired too.
- Your bosses will see you as a bad tool to solve their issues and expect moderate mobbing everyday.

Am I right?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:07:32 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 02:03:26 pm »

Revealing; well spotted!

She's definitely arguing along the lines of:
  • all revolutionary products were at some point considered crazy ideas
  • this is a crazy idea, therefore it will be arevolutionary product.
And, at 14:25 she can't wait to give negative engineers the middle finger. Translation: agree with her or suffer.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »
And, at 14:25 she can't wait to give negative engineers the middle finger. Translation: agree with her or suffer.

She slags off engineering all the way through it, touting what an amazing thinker she is, it's gag worthy  :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 02:25:44 pm »
She doesn't want an engineer; she wants a fortune teller with a slide rule.

What's hilarious is that this a picture off her Twitter feed as of February 2015. She's still on breadboards!! 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:30:01 pm by LabSpokane »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:42:30 pm »
She doesn't want an engineer; she wants a fortune teller with a slide rule.

What's hilarious is that this a picture off her Twitter feed as of February 2015. She's still on breadboards!!
Obviously - you don't progress beyond breadboards until you have something that actually works...
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline wreeve

• Supporter
    • embedded u systems limited
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »
What are those things on the wall?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »
Failed ultrasonic transducer experiments at a guess

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »

Recreational hallucinogen farm to enhance the creative bullshit no doubt.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 08:44:48 pm »
Had a few spare moments to look at what they're "doing", as far as I can see is outfit has managed to piss between 750k and 1.75M up the wall, but has nothing more tangible to show for it than they did three years ago since they gained the funding other than a few more media hits with the same vague and unsubstantiated claims.

I'm in the wrong business.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 11:36:22 pm »
Had a few spare moments to look at what they're "doing", as far as I can see is outfit has managed to piss between 750k and 1.75M up the wall, but has nothing more tangible to show for it than they did three years ago since they gained the funding other than a few more media hits with the same vague and unsubstantiated claims.
I'm in the wrong business.

Yup, great when people just throw money at you and you can piss it away whilst living your fantasy of trying to change the world with your "invention". Looks great on the resume for the next inevitable piss-up-a-flag-pole adventure.
She has raised $13.2M
https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/ubeam
They were "getting ready to move into production" in Oct 2014:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/30/ubeam-10m-upfront/
but a year later and still not a single tangible demo, photo, or info on anything real that might be the least bit viable. But of course it must work because the money comes from lots of big name celebrity tech investors, they wouldn't invest in a turkey, it must be viable, it must!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:48 pm »
and of course you get wonderfully unbiased articles like this:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/26/kill-the-cord/
Don't worry that the Techcrunch founder is an investor, nothing to see there.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 12:40:49 am »
She has raised $13.2M

I don't know if this applies to Meredith's case or not, but I will say that I have learned the hard way that startups will even lie about the funding they have received.  Some of it is contingent, but they will leave that out of the press release and just announce the theoretical total. 

The other thing that I learned about VC's the hard way is that they will knowingly invest in hype, betting on getting their money (and handsome profit) out once the venture goes through its initial vending round where less in-the-know investors are goaded in by securities salesmen. 

Grifters abound in the startup business. 

===================================
P.S.

The moral of this for me is that the presence of venture capital is *zero* indication of due diligence on anyone's part.  It is an utterly different animal than presenting a business plan for a small-business loan.  Venture capital is not there to sell a product.  They are there to sell an *idea* to subsequent investors.  VC is a pre-IPO version of "pump and dump."

The perverted consequence of the above is that in pursuing VC, it is better to have an idea that defies scientific and engineering muster, since it will sound so much better than the market alternatives.  Hence, lavish returns are guaranteed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:53:54 am by LabSpokane »

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 06:50:54 am »

That's bizarre. She brags as if here technology is already a great success.

"Let not him that girdeth on his harness boast himself as he that putteth it off" 

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 08:08:30 am »
The moral of this for me is that the presence of venture capital is *zero* indication of due diligence on anyone's part.
Ditto patents

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 08:44:51 am »
The perverted consequence of the above is that in pursuing VC, it is better to have an idea that defies scientific and engineering muster, since it will sound so much better than the market alternatives.  Hence, lavish returns are guaranteed.

It's all about the story.
Girl (yes, fact is they are still novel in the tech field, so it doesn't hurt) with charisma but zero engineering experience comes up brain flash idea, everyone is stunned why it hasn't been done before it's so obvious, it's an ideal utopia everyone wants to believe in and needs, unlimited market potential, something only someone with "left field thinking" could have come up with it, everyone tells her it's not practical, struggle against the odds and the naysayers, bodge up prototype in record time, smoke and mirrors demo at trade show, overcome more struggle and naysayers, get some big companies (Starbucks) to say they want it, get publicity which leads to more publicity, and bam. It's real. It's gotta work because it's obviously gotten this far. Everyone buys in.

You know how it ends  :palm:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 08:47:43 am »
The moral of this for me is that the presence of venture capital is *zero* indication of due diligence on anyone's part.

Here is how they do their due diligence:
http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2014/10/30/the-audacious-plan-to-make-electricity-as-easy-as-wifi/

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2015, 09:18:20 am »

http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2014/10/30/the-audacious-plan-to-make-electricity-as-easy-as-wifi/

Over time, working with manufacturers, uBeam has a method that will allow the battery life to last 10x longer than today’s batteries before they degrade. They can allow manufacturers to use thinner batteries and thus further miniaturize phones.

WTF? - why would you include some more BS like this that's totally unrelated to what you're trying to sell -distraction?
Did the physics actually work? Check
references ? evidence ?

Was there consumer demand? No brainer. If electricity could be transferred like WiFi but as safe as a soundwave we use on pregnant women’s bellies
Nonsensical claim that as medical ultrasound is safe, a higher powered version is also safe.
and at a price-point that was attractive this is a multi-billion market. Check.
a multi-billion market? really?  how many people are willing to spend significant money because they can't be arsed to plug something in?
How many companies would spend money on infrastructure that will only inefficiently charge one device at a time?
Was it safe? Well … for starters it is just an inaudible soundwave being transferred – as in the kind also used for women during pregnancy.
..and welding metals and plastics. And disintegrating kidney stones. And surgical tissue ablation http://www.baroquemedical.com/ablation.html

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 09:41:53 am »
Considering my ears are made for sensing very minute vibrations, and hurt from rather low intensities (~W/m^2?), I can't say I like the idea of beaming intense ultrasound through the air.  That's like illuminating the room with comparable intensities of infrared: you can't see it, but you can feel it, and staring at it for too long will give you cataracts (a very real hazard for glassblowers, foundrymen, etc.).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 10:27:41 am »
From April 2015 in TechCrunch "uBeam’s Ultrasound Wireless Charging Is Real" http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/26/kill-the-cord/#.qfhg1c:5lOU

Then 1,000 words of gushing diatribe, in the final paragraph...

"uBeam is still working on a hard science problem where unexpected setbacks can happen. There are plenty of reasons it might not be able to get as cheap, powerful, fast, and safe as Perry hopes."

A debunk here:
http://lookatmeimdanny.tumblr.com/post/101432017159/how-putting-10m-into-ubeam-illustrates-everything

This sounds a bit like buying a soccer club, the value isn't in the club itself, it's that there are idiots around who are prepared to spend even more than you did on it when you come to sell it. The funding bears distinct resemblance to a Ponzi scheme that would make Bernie Madoff proud.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 10:44:50 am »
Considering my ears are made for sensing very minute vibrations, and hurt from rather low intensities (~W/m^2?), I can't say I like the idea of beaming intense ultrasound through the air.

Its worse than that, they want to put dozens of these into every Starbucks, all with beamforms darting all over the place tracking phones, which of course has zero potential of being harmful should they beat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 02:26:43 pm »
This may be dangerous for pets.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 02:32:53 pm »

"Sucker lists" contain phone numbers of gullible people that fall victim to cold calls from teleslime operators.
Now we can start a "VC sucker list" of gullible companies.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf