Author Topic: USA, Boston MA: full-time general-purpose tinkerer wanted  (Read 2269 times)

Online D StraneyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
USA, Boston MA: full-time general-purpose tinkerer wanted
« on: May 17, 2022, 02:39:33 pm »
Figured I'd help put the word out for this one where I work, as no EEs (except me apparently) think to look at hospitals.

https://partners.taleo.net/careersection/ghc/jobdetail.ftl?job=3199467
This position would be perfect for kind of an "ascended hobbyist": someone who can design simple circuits and use KiCAD, likes to tweak their 3D printer, etc.  Have to be comfortable doing a bit of everything: electronics repairs, running cables through the ceiling, making cutouts in panels, understanding some microcontroller firmware in case you need to make changes...  It's about 1/3 a technician job, so if you hate soldering and would rather spend all your time with simulations and CAD then this is not your job.  If, like me, you get bored doing electronics that's not sub-ns pulse generators or miniaturized GaN power converters or whatever, then this also is not the job for you - but if you have a great time with general-purpose tinkering then it's probably your type of thing.  You would also be the internal "engineer for hire" and free to do projects ranging from mechanical design to MRI RF coil building, depending on your skills.

Being comfortable working on your own and able to learn from external sources (books, courses, app notes, etc.) when you run into problems is also key - there will likely be no one there who knows more about these things than you.  Now if that hasn't scared away the last person hanging on...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:52:46 pm by D Straney »

Offline ryan_zheng

• My Blog
Re: USA, Boston MA: full-time general-purpose tinkerer wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 09:26:21 am »
I would love to do this kind of job and I actually tick all the boxes. Too bad I'm not a US national and nor do I live in the US :( I wonder if you can sponsor, although I think it's very unlikely
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 09:43:09 am by ryan_zheng »

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 06:27:22 pm »
In my 46 years of career, this is called a 'technician'. Has all sorts of experience, even engineers are envious of the job. At least, this is what i was called when I did this and held this position.

One particular job, as a technician, was at a pacemaker mfg company. The job was to keep all the high tech machines that made hybrid support devices, wirebonders, plasma cleaners, wire testing of 0.001" diameter gold wire, (many more) working and make improvements to them, as needed. This included adding, repairing or modifying existing mechanical or electronic systems.  Spent ten years here(dream job for me).
PEACE===>T

Online RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 12:12:10 am »
   Actually looks like good position.  Technicians being the backbone of a healthy manufacturing system.  I did a bunch of that, after college, and learned not to play down any serious issues (like current supply chain disruptions).
   I also liked (your) writing style, humor...
I'll send a PM, but East Coast is a stretch, for an old, San Francisco kid.
Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf