Author Topic: Working in Antarctica?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline angrybirdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
Working in Antarctica?
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:19:42 am »
I'd like to work in Antarctica for a year.  Anyone here working in any of the limited opportunities there?  How did you get in?

I have engineering degrees in two distinct disciplines with significant experience in both, foreign language as well as signficant application based experience in fields not encompassed by the degrees.  Pretty flexible.  However my current interest is in EE, systems engineering or related.  Very open to any sort of research.  I need to do this before I'm too old.
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
Re: Working in Antarctica?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:01:47 am »
The various Reddit AmAs give advice as well as much-needed insight into the unique challenges of the posting (e.g. a roughly 1:2 F:M ratio).

Personally, I think it would be an amazing experience. Good luck!

Offline angrybirdTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:31:50 am »
Your username is really rude and offensive....  :-DD

Thanks for pointing to this reddit "I am A" concept.  I've come across this very broad site on internet searches quite a few times but didn't realize people do these types of writeups!
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:23:47 am »
I'd like to work in Antarctica for a year.  Anyone here working in any of the limited opportunities there?  How did you get in?...

You are far more likely to work there for a few months over the austral summer. A full year would mean overwintering.

I am not sure who has the contract these days, but ITT Antarctic Services used to provide the hired help for the United States program. If you want to get the full experience, however, I would try to tag along with a research group, or an engineering group that needs to get out "on the ice" to support them.

I first went to Antarctica as a prospective graduate student, but that was some years ago when the arrangements were much more informal. For example, we got the keys for Scott's and Shackleton's huts from the New Zealand base commander and spent a pleasant afternoon checking them out as part of testing our sledges and snowmobiles. 
-John

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 03:17:20 pm »
My uncle was in Antarctica for a year during the geophysical year , I think 1957-58. He was a navy chaplain. I did speak to him about his experience.
He was quite busy with the troops during this time. He did not think it was an easy task for them to survive mentally for a year back then.
Of course communications are much better now. Must make it easier. I do not suppose there is cable yet.

Wally

Offline udok

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 07:13:37 am »
The Alfred Wegener Institut is looking for someone to joint their team in the Antarctic.
https://www.awi.de/arbeiten-lernen/jobs/stellenangebote.html

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf