Author Topic: Alternate KiCad Library  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Dave_CTopic starter

• Contributor
Alternate KiCad Library
« on: April 25, 2021, 05:56:27 am »
Current Version 3.0
New update adds over 10000 symbols (opamps, comparators and more) and 2600 footprints (New library variants, SIP packages and more)
See detailed list of changes in the new and improved documentation:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DawidCislo/Alternate-KiCad-Library/main/AKL%20User%20Manual.pdf

You can get it here:

GitHub:
https://github.com/DawidCislo/Alternate-KiCad-Library

You can also find AKL on kicad.info forum:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/alternate-kicad-library-3-0/37517
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:44:05 pm by Dave_C »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Alternate KiCad Library
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 02:54:36 am »
There are many parts that can't have silkscreen underneath them. Even the small height of the silkscreen impedes how the part sits on the pads, so automated soldering becomes unreliable.

Offline woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:05:55 am »
This is fine for hobby/hand soldered use, but on a production line it will cause problems. The component will rock (like a see-saw) on the silk screen and cause tomb-stoning, especially if the component was picked slightly off centre.
If it was ever needed to move a project to production, the footprints would need changing.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 11:58:59 am »
That's correct, I mainly focused on hand-soldering and hobby projects when making this library. I can release a version with silkscreen re moved from under the parts if people want it.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 04:11:51 pm »
As others said, plus you can't see the silk when the component is placed, so anything under the component isn't too useful.

However, I like the idea of the PlCC corner numbers, but have to say that they are confusing: which of the two pads at a corner do they relate to? I think either a positioning adjusment or indicator line would be appropriate.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 05:01:23 pm »
New update is here!
SMD libraries have been split into two variants, one is intended for machine assembly, and the other keeps the silkscreen under the parts for hand soldering.
You can easily swap between them by using ‘change footprint’ option and renaming the library in footprint properties.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf