Author Topic: Are these two problems solvable?  (Read 887 times)

Offline ppTRNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Are these two problems solvable?
« on: December 28, 2023, 09:19:24 am »
Hi, I've been using KiCad for a while now but there are two problems that really bother me, I am sure there is a way to solve them but I really couldn't figure out how to.

1. Misalignment: when I update my PCB editor, even for the first time and without making any changes to the grid settings, some components are misaligned. This really bothers me and I am unable to find a "reallign to grid" command. Not to mention the mess that arises when I make changes to the grid, even when I scale it to 1/2 or 1/4 of the previous value.

2. Inconsistency: when I make a change on my schematic editor all new added components will show to the PCB editor, the netlist is updated and everything seems to be fine. The problem is that all components that have been removed from the schematic editor will still be on the PCB editor! This is quite a problem since I will be forced to manually remove them from the PCB and I might not remember which one I removed in the first place!

I really find KiCad a very usefull resource, but the problems I mentioned can be a deal breaker. Any Idea how to solve them?

Offline bpiphany

• Regular Contributor
Re: Are these two problems solvable?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 09:57:09 am »
1. There are multiple possible "snap points" on a footprint. Sometimes the origo of the component, sometimes the center of a pad, possibly others(?). Snapping one of those almost always mis-aligns the others, if they aren't all perfectly on the currently selected grid.

2. Shortcut key F8 opens up the "Update PCB with changes" dialog. There are multiple options there for how to proceed with different "conflicts"

Offline ppTRNTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Are these two problems solvable?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 10:08:59 am »
That was really helpful, thank you

The following users thanked this post: bpiphany

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf