Author Topic: CERN's contribution to KiCAD  (Read 88541 times)

Offline Twistx77

• Regular Contributor
Re: CERN's contribution to KiCAD
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 05:06:39 pm »
for a start maybe you can look at each subroutines and try to figure out how all of them connect one to another. have you been boggled by your own codes? and then try to understand the toolchains and args for each OS needed to produce binaries, good luck some members here are already in their journey modding it.

I've been looking to the code, the problem for me is in the toolchain and building the application side of things.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2014, 08:16:58 pm »
I've been looking to the code, the problem for me is in the toolchain and building the application side of things.
goto there website there explained everything...

Like many others, I've attempted to build Kicad (I prefer OS X), and failed. The developers certainly don't make it easy.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:38 am »
Kicadwinbuilder automates Windows makes. But it fails in my system. It looks like a Bazaar problem. I passed the bug to Bazaar developer but it seems the development is stoped.

Offline dandumit

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:29 am »
It's not stopped.  It just answers when it has time.

I hope that you don't refer to library issue...

My opinion : please try again in 1-2 days on other version. I have met often this situation : some versions weren't compiled on my computer. I have tried again in 1-2 days and it went out.
Kind Regards,
DAniel

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2014, 10:36:45 am »
It's a Bazaar error with encoding. Not KiCAD problem.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:24 am »
No pun intended ^

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2014, 03:49:05 pm »
Sorry, I don't catch it.  :-\

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:49 pm »
From Milan Horak on the Launchpad developers list.

Hi gentlemen,

seems like I was finally able to compile Windows version of Kicad.

On http://kicad.nosoftware.cz there is r4636 packaged (without docs, demos and libraries). Please test and report. Thank you.

Linux versions are available as well - r4631 in versions for Debian (32 and 64) and Ubuntu (32 and 64).

Milan
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline Icchan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2014, 01:16:44 am »
I really hope this gets really going. There's a real need for a open tool that's really capable of doing professional design work. But like any other Open Source project: without money it's not going to get anywhere really.

We need companies and such that would benefit from the KiCad CERN branch to get the support it desperately needs. Random free time development doesn't really cut it, that's what has been shown in any other open source project... if the industry isn't behind it, it's not going to get anywhere really. open source need money and that's it. developers need to eat too you know.

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2014, 02:24:20 pm »
More push & shove router goodness!

Available in BZR 4875 and later.

https://code.launchpad.net/kicad

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2014, 07:03:27 pm »
Wow this seems to be getting usable quite quickly. I'm impressed. Will try it out next time I need to lay out a board.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2014, 03:56:06 pm »

Quote from: madworm on Yesterday at 12:24:20 AM
More push & shove router goodness!

Available in BZR 4875 and later.

>https://code.launchpad.net/kicad

Available  ::)

Available as in read many hours of documentation + download compiler + beg for some good luck  :palm:

KiCad_stable-2013.07.07-BZR4022  :-DD

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »
Well... nothing is for free.

Reading a few guides /  manuals sounds more attractive to me than paying 1000s of dollars. You read & setup the build environment just once, maybe more often if you use winblows.

And you attempt to belittle the capabilities of that piece of software only shows your own deficiencies. Try again.

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »

Quote from: madworm on Today at 02:10:13 AM
Well... nothing is for free.

Very true

But some free stuff are good some bad

And you attempt to belittle the capabilities of that piece of software

Me ? there ? If i did i would have mention the capabilities it would have beed that it look cool and would love to try it out.

Reading a few guides /  manuals sounds more attractive to me than paying 1000s of dollars. You read & setup the build environment just once, maybe more often if you use winblows.
  May i ask you a question  Are the bios in you motherboard a stock ? .......... If it is why did you not take time to do it you self I bet it is realy easy  :box:

only shows your own deficiencies. Try again.
:wtf:

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
The source code of my PC's BIOS is not available.

If you have anything substantial to say about the software itself, please do so. The mere fact that you don't like to compile it yourself is understandable, but has nothing to do with this thread.

If you use winblows, try this: http://escalalibre.com/edwt/kicad_testingBinaries/

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:51 pm »
>The source code of my PC's BIOS is not available.
Did you check http://www.coreboot.org/ ?

>The mere fact that you don't like to compile it yourself is understandable, but has nothing to do with this thread.

Dear mister Policeman it have every thing to do with it.

For a year ago CERN's did give CODE to KiCAD

But it is not in the official release. Why not ? Are the code bad ? or cant the core coders understant it ? If it is so great why not share it to the rest of the world ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:14:52 pm by Bloch »

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2014, 07:16:41 pm »
Isn't all of CERNs code available to everyone via the Bazaar repository?

I don't see your complaint. Is it that the official releases lag the development releases in features? Because duh. This stuff is brand spanking new and not tested in the wild. It's not suitable for general release yet. If you don't want to build the development version yourself, either stop complaining and wait for an official release to come or find some kind soul who has spared you the task of setting up a working build environment and download a binary.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:07 pm »
For a year ago CERN's did give CODE to KiCAD

But it is not in the official release. Why not ? Are the code bad ? or cant the core coders understant it ? If it is so great why not share it to the rest of the world ?

If you'd actually bothered to find the original announcement instead of just posting rubbish, you'd see that the code is now in the production branch, so I guess the software IS good enough for the developers.  |O

Offline Bloch

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2014, 08:09:45 pm »
>production branch

production branch = http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Download > KiCad for Windows > KiCad_stable-2013.07.07-BZR4022_Win_full_version.exe ??

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50:34 pm »
>production branch

production branch = http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/Download > KiCad for Windows > KiCad_stable-2013.07.07-BZR4022_Win_full_version.exe ??

:palm:

A released binary is not the production branch.

Are you really surprised that something announced today is not in a binary that was released in 2013 ?
Just cos you are seemingly incapable of building the application from source does not mean others are unable. The source is in the production branch of the repository, freely available for you to build should you care to spend a few precious moments of your time to figure out how (hint, searching for kicad winbuilder would help). Subscribing to the mailing lists would also reveal that there are already people who have built it and are trying it.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2014, 10:29:20 pm »
I don't see your complaint. Is it that the official releases lag the development releases in features? Because duh. This stuff is brand spanking new and not tested in the wild. It's not suitable for general release yet. If you don't want to build the development version yourself, either stop complaining and wait for an official release to come or find some kind soul who has spared you the task of setting up a working build environment and download a binary.

Just a point - the Kicad developers don't believe in "official" or "stable" releases.

There is a "stable" development branch in their Launchpad repository but it has not been updated since January.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:31:04 pm by Bassman59 »

Offline hak8or

« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2014, 07:51:38 pm »
So, has anyone got a windows build to offer?

The kwinbuild is atrociously slow and does not give a working result, as shown: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad-winbuilder/+bug/1315945/comments/4

Cross compiling it as per CERN's instructions(http://www.ohwr.org/documents/251) does not seem to work, specifically due to:
  • The patch file for wxwidgets is no longer current
  • apt-get should also have these packages included: autopoint gperf
  • step 6 should have .static added to the i686-pc-mingw32 directory, turning it into i686-pc-mingw32.static

And it being very slow, with copying of the bzr branch taking a very, very, very long time (I am taking a few hours here!). Downloading the source tarball seems to be a possible replacement. There is also a git mirror on github that is infinitely faster but I am not familiar enough with bzr to see if there are any gotcha's with using the git mirror instead.

Compiling wxwidgets is also a horrifically slow process.

And boost for kicad does not seem to want to compile due to "error: Invalid property '<cflags>': No value specified for feature 'cflags'." which seems to an OSX issue based on a github issue opened for this, but there does not appear to be a relevant solution to windows cross compiling.

I emailed the CERN guy about the issues with the cross compilation instructions and how to fix them, with him replying he is informing others of the possibly necessary changes, so that's good. Hopefully once I am able to get cross compiling working for Kicad I will throw up an automated build bot so others can just download the executables and whatnot without having to build it themselves and go through this rubbish.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2014, 08:07:13 pm »
Download kicad-winbuilder and replace KiCadWinbuilder.cmake with the one attached.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline hak8or

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2014, 12:36:35 am »
Thank you for the cmake file! Unfortunately after a few hours of fumbling around trying to get this to compile, it's a no go for me. BZR is just so god awful slow, I am getting 2 KB/s most of the time, and sometimes bzr just flat out stops and doesn't continue. Manually ctrl-c'ing and then restarting it by double clicking make.bat gives me bzr lock issues, which after I "un lock" the files I get other bogus bzr errors.

I tried editing the cmake file to get rid of downloading the source using bzr and instead just manually put in the source from a tarball but then I get issues with boost libraries not wanting to compile (not the same as before). Firewalker, did it actually fully compile for you using that cmake file, all the way from scratch to being able to actually use it? What OS are you running? Win8/7? 32/64 bit?

Sadly the git mirror is not up to date it seems, and me putting my ssh key into launchpad did not help my speeds. Either I am doing something wrong, which I am extremely doubtful, or there are some serious issues with bzr or the project itself. It compiles on linux for linux totally fine though, ah well.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2014, 01:55:57 am »
The most important thing in building any c, c++ stuff on windows is to build it on a path with no spaces. Dont ask me why stuff like this is still an issue.

My build path is "C:\KicadBuild\kicad-winbuilder-3-3", it started working when I moved it away from "C:\Program Files\Kicad"  or wherever the default is.

Hope your issue is as simple as this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf