Author Topic: Changes to track width set in Global Design Rules not showing.  (Read 3585 times)

Offline PhilippeASPTopic starter

• Contributor
I searched past threads for my problem and found a bunch of them referencing the "Global Design Rule" as the window in which I need to set my desired track width.  I tried inputting the value I wanted in "Minimum Allowed Values" but changing those just gave me error messages (something about the set track width beind smaller than the minimum track width).  So I set the custom track widths to my desired value.

But whatever value I put it doesn't appear to update, neither in the 2D schematic, nor in the 3D viewer.  The traces still show as being tiny.  I ended up leaving too much spare space between my components, so I wanted to use thicker traces.   Here are some screengrabs of my efforts: 

As you can see I set the width to 2 mm, and those resistors are 1206 surface mounts, so the traces he ended up using are seriously tiny.

Also, this is my first time using KiCad, so it's possible I'm missing some obvious step.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: Changes to track width set in Global Design Rules not showing.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:32 pm »
Setting custom track widths just adds those widths to the "Track:" drop down menu, these can then be selected when creating a track instead of the netclass default (indicated by *).

If you have already drawn tracks, I suggest changing the "default" netclass to your desired track width (Design Rules menu). Then right click on a track, select "Edit all Tracks and Vias".  Use that dialog option "Set all tracks and vias to their netclass value".

Note that if a segment of a track cannot be made larger due to clearance, it will not be changed. You might need to go round and redraw some parts.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

The following users thanked this post: PhilippeASP

Offline PhilippeASPTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:55:11 pm »
Yes!  Thank you.  That's what I was looking for.

I had found a way of setting wider, new tracks, but that meant erasing all my existing tracks and laying them down again.  Doing it automatically is much more enjoyable.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:34:42 am »
the other quick way to edit small areas is, if you pick a different via or trace size, you can press "e" while over the trace to update that segment,

The following users thanked this post: PhilippeASP

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf