Author Topic: Changing footprints  (Read 4315 times)

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Changing footprints
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:45:04 pm »
I made a schematic and assigned my foot prints, ran PCBNew and discovered I'd used a horizontal LED footprint.

I switched back to CvPCB and changed the footprints of all 16 LEDs.

They won't update in the PCB editor though.  I deleted the PCB file completely and remade it and... still has the old horizontal LED footprint.

Any ideas?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Changing footprints
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:48:01 pm »
Ooops.  Quitting out of Kicad and running it again and the footprints have updated.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline vltr

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:53:02 pm »
When you change footprints you will need to export the netlist again from the schematic editor, then import the netlist again into PCBNew.  Also make sure the exchange footprint is set to change otherwise it will ignore the new footprint. 

Offline apurvdate

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:17:44 am »
You can change the footprint in PCBnew itself. Just tap E keeping mouse on the footprint.
After the edit, export "Component .cmp file" from PCBnew & import it into EeSchema that'll update footprint association in schematic (similar to back annotate).

If you proceed with regular CvPcb method, do generate new netlist , read it in PCBnew & remember to check "Exchange Footprint" option to "Change" while reading netlist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf