Author Topic: Connecting pad to thermal pour  (Read 2539 times)

Offline keethraxTopic starter

• Contributor
Connecting pad to thermal pour
« on: December 17, 2019, 09:24:33 pm »
I'm trying to put together a board using a Cree XP-G LED. It has a thermal pad (3 in image below) that I can't seem to figure out how to connect to anything in KiCad.

If I add an LED to the schematic it only has the two connections (fair enough). I can then assign this as the footprint even though it has a third pad. But when I go to layout, I can't figure out how to make a pour that will connect to pad 3. When I use "Add filled zones" to create the pour, I get a message about "No net will result in an unconnected copper island" which is exactly what happens.

Since the LED schematic symbol only has two connections, I don't know how to connect pad 3 to a net back in the schematic step which would presumably allow me to connect it to a pour in the layout step. Alternatively, I don't know how to force the pour to connect without pad 3 being on a net. What am I missing?

891438-0

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:27:27 pm by keethrax »

Offline tox3

• Contributor
Re: Connecting pad to thermal pour
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:49:13 pm »
You can change pin number of thermal pad to 1 or 2 on footprint to connect to one of the existing nets or you can create additional pin in schematic symbol of led with pin number 3.
Hope this helps.

The following users thanked this post: keethrax

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 09:50:16 pm »
When editing your PCB layout you should be able to select the pad & hit "E" to edit the properties. You can then select the net (GND), plus also the connection type under the  "Local clearance and Settings" tab. E.g. you might want to force a solid connection rather than thermal spokes to get the heat out depending on the layout requirements of that particular part.

Offline poeschlr

• Regular Contributor
  • Head of KiCad library; Writer of tutorials
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 12:58:13 pm »
I highly advice against the hack suggested by @nali. Do not manually change the net-assignments within the pcb as you will lose this information on your next "update from schematic"! It is very bad practice to have the schematic differ from the layout in part because of this (but also because the schematic is the documentation and your documentation should agree with your product.)

Also KiCad version 5.1.4 (and newer, possibly also older) comes with a symbol LED_PAD which would be the perfect fit for your component.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 02:19:50 pm by poeschlr »

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 01:35:52 pm »
Yep that's better advice... ignore mine  :)

Offline keethraxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 04:26:22 pm »
Also KiCad version 5.1.4 (and newer, possibly also older) comes with a symbol LED_PAD which would be the perfect fit for your component.

I looked for a similar symbol but didn't know what it was called. Thanks! That solves my issue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf