Author Topic: schematic editor & pcb designer  (Read 4030 times)

Offline fivefishTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
schematic editor & pcb designer
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:58:53 am »
I'm trying to wrap my brain on KiCad's workflow (long-term Eagle Professional version user here)

In Eagle, if a component reference or value was changed in the schematic editor, it's automatically changed in the PCB design when I switched windows.
But not in KiCad seems to be.

So in KiCad schematic editor, I initially click Create Netlist.
Then I open up the pcb designer and import that netlist, correct?

Now... if let's say I changed the schematic, or  a part value... I will need to Create Netlist again, right?
Then re-import that in PCB designer?

Will the current work done in PCB designer be erased? (I'm guessing no?)

Can anyone enlighten me the pros of KiCad's method? Does Altium or other PCB design software works in the same concept?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: schematic editor & pcb designer
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:52:24 am »
I'm trying to wrap my brain on KiCad's workflow (long-term Eagle Professional version user here)

In Eagle, if a component reference or value was changed in the schematic editor, it's automatically changed in the PCB design when I switched windows.
But not in KiCad seems to be.

That is correct

So in KiCad schematic editor, I initially click Create Netlist.
Then I open up the pcb designer and import that netlist, correct?

Yes, correct. Imagine if you were just experimenting with the schematic and you didn't the layout to change until your tests were complete. Seems to me that having the parts on the PCB change on the fly is dangerous.

Now... if let's say I changed the schematic, or  a part value... I will need to Create Netlist again, right?
Then re-import that in PCB designer?

Yes, correct, although a part value (like a resistor value) shouldn't affect the net list. Footprints and ref des changes certainly do.

Will the current work done in PCB designer be erased? (I'm guessing no?)

No, all current work is retained, although after importing the updated net list you will have to do some cleanup.

Can anyone enlighten me the pros of KiCad's method? Does Altium or other PCB design software works in the same concept?

Altium works the same way, although the netlist generation and board update are hidden by the "compile board project" command and the board-changes dialog. (that would make more sense if you were familiar with Altium.)

Even the old PCAD and Protel had that netlist generate/import workflow.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:24 am »
KiCAD has it's quirks, like any other package.

Don't forget that KiCAD is developed by people in their spare time, although some developers might dedicate every waking hour to the project, I don't believe they are getting paid for it.

I see changes every day, I have an issue for example, where the ERC just crashes the entire KiCAD application under x32, same project and release version, just x64 and the ERC works fine, if I go back 2 weeks, the x32 version runs the ERC on my project, so I use that version for x32 machines, but test new releases.

Another thing to remember is that the developers are trying to stabilise a new release version so there has been a code freeze on new features and just bug fixes readying the software for release, this could be why new features and major changes are refused also.

I am in no way affiliated with KiCAD or any of the developers, but for what it is, it is certainly a very capable and useful tool.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:17:30 pm »

Another thing to remember is that the developers are trying to stabilise a new release version so there has been a code freeze on new features and just bug fixes readying the software for release, this could be why new features and major changes are refused also.

If I understand what Wilksey is saying the devs creating a new stable release version is just what people like Dave have been saying is essential for quite some time. It does go to show they are listening.

Exactly, and so rather than posting snippy complaints on this forum, report the bugs on the Kicad developers' site! The only way for regression bugs to get squashed is if people are using the builds (which, everyone must realize, are still development builds!) and those bugs get reported.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:49:19 pm »

If I understand what Wilksey is saying the devs creating a new stable release version is just what people like Dave have been saying is essential for quite some time. It does go to show they are listening.

Exactly, and so rather than posting snippy complaints on this forum, report the bugs on the Kicad developers' site! The only way for regression bugs to get squashed is if people are using the builds (which, everyone must realize, are still development builds!) and those bugs get reported.

I agree!

Put your arms aside for now and relax for now, please.

You could try to control your "Tourette", like write it in a text editor and fix it after some minutes doing other stuff. I do it often.

Be grateful for this free tool they gave us. To do this, you can contribute a bit to make it better.

It would be very interesting if people contribute at reporting bugs, from hobbyists to EEs.

I'm not skilled enough for it, but I plan to contribute with other stuff.

Patches, constructive criticism, suggestions and feature requests will be very valuable after this upcoming stable release to improve this tool in a more radical way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf