Author Topic: Opengl bugs in pcbnew  (Read 4099 times)

Offline fivefishTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Opengl bugs in pcbnew
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:19:20 am »
So if I have a track that is composed of 3 segments and I want to delete it, I'm using the trash can tool, then clicking on the segment. But KiCad is asking me "Are you sure" for every segment I delete. Are you mind blowing crazy KiCad? What if this track is composed of 20 individual segment? Are you going to ask me 20 different times?

What is the correct way to delete a track?

UPDATE: I changed the subject line after finding out the true bug in this behavior.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:06:39 am by fivefish »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Delete Warning boxes... never ending popups.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:49:58 am »
Oh my goodness, I'm going fucking apeshit with this KiCad. 

People always tell me to use KiCad instead of "bad" Eagle, but this KiCad is either so buggy, or it's developers were smoking crack when they programmed this. It's so inconsistent!

Example:
Default canvas mode: (whatever the heck that means!)

I draw traces. Hmmm... that's funny, how come those airwires aren't disappearing?

Then I refresh the screen. The traces I drew are gone!

WHAT THE HECK?!

Switch to Opengl canvas:
Now let's repeat the same procedure, pressing the same buttons and hotkeys, running the same tracks on the same pads.

Look.... it works! 

So maybe I need to be doing track routing in Opengl canvas... but there's a problem!
I can't delete the tracks in Opengl! I press "X" (mapped the delete track hotkey to "X") and nope, can't delete the track. It stays on the stupid screen.

But look... let's switch back to "default canvas"
I press the same hotkey "X" to delete my track.
Voila it's gone and it works here.

So here's my impression:
If I need to draw tracks, I need to be in Opengl canvas.
Drawing tracks in default canvas doesn't work.
But the problem with working in Opengl canvas is I'm not allowed to delete tracks. (HOW STUPID IS THAT?)

If I want to delete a track, I need to switch back to Default canvas.
Then the delete tracks command will work.
Then when it's time to draw a new track again, switch back to Opengl?

REALLY? THAT'S HOW THIS KICAD IS SUPPOSE TO WORK?

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Delete Warning boxes... never ending popups.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 04:18:49 am »
Okay, narrowed down the specific problem.

In "default canvas", the delete hotkey works even while you're in the middle of drawing traces.
But in 'opengl canvas", the delete hotkey does not work when you're currently drawing traces....
you must first exit from drawing traces by pressing ESC, then the delete track hotkey works as normal.

Another inconsistency:

In "default canvas", when drawing tracks, you must "double-click" to end the track. 
But even then, a lot of graphic artifacts are left on the screen... i.e. the airwires are still there. You must redraw to remove them from the screen.

In "opengl canvas", when drawing tracks, you just need a "single-click" to end the track. 
No need to redraw, and the airwires are removed cleanly and automatically.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Opengl bugs in pcbnew
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:13:11 am »
I found out more information... It's a KiCad Opengl bug reported Sept 1, 2015.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1490958

A guy named Art reported it.

and developer said
Tomasz Wlostowski (twlostow) on 2015-09-01
Changed in kicad:

when pressed why KiCad won't fix it.
Tomasz Wlostowski (twlostow) wrote on 2015-09-01:   #3
Art,

There are two reasons:
- a technical one, explained a couple of times on kicad-dev and in this bug tracker. The P&S router uses a different geometry database than the BOARD object, and BOARD currently can't notify any other entities that its data has changed (due to delete/undo/redo/whatever operation). We plan to refactor it after the stable release and possibly add this functionality.
- nobody likes when someone calls his hard work is called silly or "downright unusable". We have no reason to respect your feedback if you don't respect us.

Tom

WTF Kicad?  |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O |O   

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Re: Opengl bugs in pcbnew
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 05:34:25 pm »
Hey guy, you need some anger management. Meanwhile, you can use some drugs.

KiCad has many inconsistencies and they are getting aware of it. It was a cowboy project that got some activity, CERN improved it and made the project with more clear goals.

I understand your frustration. I'm having an extreme painful difficulty switching from Eagle and I already get mad at it's quirks, I'm still unable to get used to KiCad because it has many quirks and a weird UX too.

Take them time, they are improving exponentially. This project needs a stronger community.

- The new website and the upcoming stable release is going to help in that step.
- They lack financing and need lots more developers.
* I hope this can be solved by  more human resources at PR/marketing and project management over time.
- I hope they finally are able to make a strong organization such as a foundation. I think it should cover other Open Source electronics projects too, it would make FOSS more important in the electronics field.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf