Electronics > KiCad

Help with KiCAD Footprint for Power SOIC-8

<< < (2/2)

phil from seattle:
I don't think you can overlap pours for different nets.  Set a moderately coarse grid and draw an opening in the ground pour.  You might need to split Gnd into 2 pours.

mf_ibfeew:
>My board has a large copper pour tied to GND as the net.
>I then made another copper pour to fit over that GND pour and tied it to the net as indicated by the exposed pad, but it never showed.
We don't know your Kicad version.
I'm working actually with v5.99 and overlapping copper pours (filled zones) are possible.
You have to take care to the priority-level, both zones need different values, the inner zone (connecting to your exposed-Pad) with higher priority than the outer GND-zone.

LoveLaika:
I'm running on KiCAD version (5.1.9)-1, release build. Below is the version info:

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.1.9)-1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.5
    libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.73.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.71.0
    Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

phil from seattle:
It also works in 5.1.9 (what I'm running).  Good to know.  You will also need to set pad connections to Solid (default is thermal relief).

LoveLaika:
Thanks. I see what the problem is now. It's a combination of zone priorities and the pad's connection to copper zones. For me, the default was 'from parent footprint'. When I changed it 'Solid', it fills in as expected while it's in the designated zone area. Problem solved, but why is setting the pad connection necessary?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version