Author Topic: HiLetgo Relay Module on KiCad  (Read 387 times)

Offline juhstinhTopic starter

HiLetgo Relay Module on KiCad
« on: March 24, 2024, 01:08:09 am »
Hi,

I am new to KiCad and am very new to PCB designing.

For my project, I need two relay modules in the circuit but I was wondering if yall can help me with the schematic for this piece specifically. http://www.hiletgo.com/ProductDetail/1958543.html

I see lots of schematics for other circuits but they aren’t quite similar. The circuitry for my project is quite simple as it is one Arduino Uno R3 connected to two relay modules. I will attach the circuit below, keep in mind its just a sketch and not the final product, the arduino on the left and relay module on the right.

Please help, any feedback is helpful thank you.  :)

Offline stryker

• Regular Contributor
Re: HiLetgo Relay Module on KiCad
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 03:19:27 am »
Hi @juhstinh and welcome

Since the module is a black box that you won't be changing, I would tend to treat it like you have with the Arduino in the schematic and not include the internal workings. Therefore my design would end with naming the connections to J1 & J4 only with a descriptive KiCad global label for each bus/wire.

If there will be other components connected on the output side of the HiLetgo module to be included in this schematic then I'd create a custom footprint for the module, similar to the Arduino footprint, with connections defined and a box without the inner components.  That's actually surprisingly easy to do.

If this was the kind of module that might be a daughter-board to a PCB you're making, this new custom footprint might also have a silk outline for the PCB, especially if it has components on the underside which prevent the space underneath being populated by other tall components.

I hope that's helpful.

Cheers, Geoff

The following users thanked this post: juhstinh

Offline juhstinhTopic starter

Re: HiLetgo Relay Module on KiCad
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 07:07:48 pm »
Hi Geoff,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful input, I was just thinking the same solution last night but with your ideas in consideration made it easier to continue on what to do.

Have a great day!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf