Electronics > KiCad

How do you do PCB version control with KiCad?

<< < (4/7) > >>

Veteran68:

--- Quote from: PlainName on September 14, 2023, 02:29:05 pm ---AFAIK Subversion isn't server-based. It has a master repo is all, and no server software - local or remote - is required. You can run a server for remote access, but you can just as easily plonk the repo on a file share and access it as if it were local.
--- End quote ---

That's technically true, but it's still a client/server model. A "file share" is by definition a remote filesystem. And while yes, you could run the master repo on a local filesystem, I've never actually seen SVN implemented that way in any sort of serious or professional setting. Even when I ran it for my own personal usage on a single workstation, I ran the server daemon.

As a software engineer going back to the 80's, I've used many SCMs ranging from RCS (predecessor to CVS) on Unix, TLIB on MS-DOS, PVCS and SourceSafe (both pre- and post-Microsoft acquisition) and up through CVS, SVN, and Git. (Not intended as an "appeal to authority" argument, but more to illustrate the personal change management I've had to go through as these technologies changed.)

I really liked SVN and invested a lot in migrating our company from CVS to SVN. I even contributed changes back to the cvs2svn migration script that ships with SVN. Transitioning to a distributed model like bazaar, mercurial or git was a paradigm shift, and one I initially resisted -- much as I initially resisted seeing the value in moving from ASM to C, from C to C++, and then from C++ to Java. But as with all of those example, after having to work with git due to project requirements, the light bulb eventually goes off and I'm like "oh yeah, I get it now, this is cool!"

I much prefer working in git than any centralized C/S tool that I worked in before.

phil from seattle:
I'm probably a troglodyte here but I don't bother with source code control for my boards.  For every version that I get manufactured, I need to have a usable and, potentially editable, copy available. This includes prototypes and beta test versions as well as production.  And, the amount of disk space this needs is pretty much de minimis, as the lawyers say.

For short term disasters, I have an auto backup that has yesterday's version. I have used that more than once.

rhodges:

--- Quote from: phil from seattle on December 14, 2023, 01:18:04 am ---For every version that I get manufactured, I need to have a usable and, potentially editable, copy available.

--- End quote ---
So... You put each revision in its own directory? Maybe put the rev numbers at the end of the directory names?

phil from seattle:

--- Quote from: rhodges on December 14, 2023, 05:04:19 am ---
--- Quote from: phil from seattle on December 14, 2023, 01:18:04 am ---For every version that I get manufactured, I need to have a usable and, potentially editable, copy available.

--- End quote ---
So... You put each revision in its own directory? Maybe put the rev numbers at the end of the directory names?

--- End quote ---
Yes. I do.

PlainName:

--- Quote from: phil from seattle on December 17, 2023, 07:07:58 am ---
--- Quote from: rhodges on December 14, 2023, 05:04:19 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Yes. I do.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I do that. But I use revision control too :)

Just that I like having the previous version(s) easily available for checking stuff (or maybe trying stuff out). Subversion lends itself to that, git not so much.

(Although, to be clear, I don't have every copy available, just significant ones, perhaps the versions I've given to a client or prior to a breaking change, etc. The ones not present are still in svn, of course.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version