Author Topic: Is KiCad proffesional use ready?  (Read 11234 times)

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Is KiCad proffesional use ready?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 11:37:41 am »
at KiCon Wayne Stambaugh announced that he's got hired to work full time on KiCad. I do not know how much actual programming he does, but he seems to be the largest driving force behind the direction KiCad

There is you answer.

Which company would  want to build their business relying on such tool?

I trust CS+Altium+elemnet14 less at this stage.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Is KiCad proffesional use ready?
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 11:50:29 am »
Kicad can be used version independently, which for my purposes makes it much more reliable, for the projects that I made back in an older version, I can just keep the older version installed separately, ready to roll the moment I need to change an old design, without worrying if there where any changes in between, all the component libraries are separate,

The newer version features are always nice, but if you have a design you made 5 years ago, and it just needs a simple change like a new footprint, the less you have to change to get it done, the better, This is not saying kicads forward / backwards compatibility has issues, just it means you know everything is exactly as it was, as some component symbols / footprints have had there origins and rotations changed in more recent library versions to reflect the standards they now try to meet.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf