Author Topic: Kicad 5 stable source released.  (Read 6219 times)

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Kicad 5 stable source released.
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:23:02 pm »
Version 5.0.0 was released yesterday (Friday 13th) and for the adventurous is now available via the nightly builds  :)

New users should undoubtedly wait for the packaged version to be announced on the kicad-pcb.org website, which will hopefully not be long now.

Quote from: Wayne Stambaugh link="https://launchpad.net/kicad/+announcement/15026"
After over more than two long years, the stable 5 version of KiCad has finally been released. Thank you to everyone who made this possible.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:51:52 pm by rolycat »

Offline lukewren

• Contributor
Re: Kicad 5.0.0 released
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 05:04:00 pm »
Awesome! I look forward to not having all my parts stacked on top of each other when I import a netlist  :D

KiCad is a pretty serious bit of kit now!

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:40 am »
It's not 'released' until the user-facing project website provides download links to it. Which it doesn't. Not even a whisper of a mention of the possibility of its existence.

The following users thanked this post: agehall

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:27:32 pm »
Yes, I was looking for some binaries that are not nightly builds (that were missing some library last time I checked).
Alex

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 05:14:23 pm »
It's not 'released' until the user-facing project website provides download links to it. Which it doesn't. Not even a whisper of a mention of the possibility of its existence.

"The stable 5 version of KiCad has finally been released"  That's a direct quote from the Kicad project leader.

I foolishly thought that stating that it was "available via the nightly builds" indicated that it is a binary of the stable source version 5.0.0 that has been released rather than the complete package, which I am sure will also arrive before too long. And yes, the "user-facing project website" does provide download links to it. For my linux distribution they are on the same page and take the same form as the links for the old stable version 4.0.7.

Please forgive me for wishing to share the imminent availability of software which many of us have been awaiting for many months.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:47:11 pm by rolycat »

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
Re: Kicad 5.0.0 not released yet
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:43:37 pm »
Please forgive me for wishing to share the imminent availability of software which many of us have been awaiting for many months.

No, wait a few more days...  :P

Nightly builds are not releases, they are development snapshots for testing.  There is a lot more to the release than just the object code: translations, documentation, libraries etc.

When Wayne says "released" here, he really means released from the developers to the packagers, who actually create the release packages for end-users. Some of the Linux packagers jump the gun and create packages immediately.

I really don't understand why people are so eager to call the release early. In practical terms, the nightly build from the 14th July is only very slightly different from the 13th July, except it has the tag "5.0.0" and not "5.0.0-rc3". It's not a big deal. There will probably be a 5.0.1 very shortly anyway.

Calling nightly builds releases is very confusing for users who don't appreciate the difference between development builds and stable releases. One of the chief complaints about KiCad is usability and encouraging users to download random builds doesn't help.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

• Super Contributor
Re: Kicad 5.0.0 not released yet
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:27:43 pm »
No, wait a few more days...  :P
Imminent means forthcoming, not immediate. :P

My obviously unwelcome post was intended to indicate that the packaged version will soon be available, not that naive users should rush out and start using the nightlies.  This seems to have been misconstrued.

In order to avoid further confusion, I have amended the thread title.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:30:31 pm by rolycat »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »
Version 5 was available in nightly builds for a while. If you are using nightly builds, then do you really care about "rc" suffix?

I personally want to know when the thing can be finally downloaded from the main page.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: agehall

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 09:38:32 pm »
I personally want to know when the thing can be finally downloaded from the main page.

Don't we all?  :)

Offline agehall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 06:50:38 am »
"The stable 5 version of KiCad has finally been released"  That's a direct quote from the Kicad project leader.

And this is a perfect example of why KiCad is a toy. A fun toy but still a toy. You don't announce a the release of a software package like this until you have the release binaries up on the website.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: Kicad 5 stable source released.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 08:48:08 am »
Well, the quote is not an official announcement of a release. It is the announcement on the version control system. It is intended for the developers etc.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 03:09:35 pm »
Awesome! I look forward to not having all my parts stacked on top of each other when I import a netlist  :D

KiCad is a pretty serious bit of kit now!

LOL...i laughed so hard when I read that. So true!

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 03:19:45 pm »

And this is a perfect example of why KiCad is a toy. A fun toy but still a toy. You don't announce a the release of a software package like this until you have the release binaries up on the website.
:-DD

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just an IT monkey with a DSO
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 04:33:53 pm »
Kicad download page is still in 4.0.7 for ubuntu install. This is the new version 5.0 PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~js-reynaud/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-5

Code: [Select]
This ppa provide releases build for KiCad 5.0 branch.

To use it:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install kicad

You should be interested to install also:
- kicad-libraries: a virtual package that will recommend you to install footprints, symbols, templates and 3D
- kicad-symbols, kicad-templates, kicad-footprints, kicad-packages3d: if you want to manually select what library to install.
- kicad-locale-XX: locales for your language (XX is your contry code. see apt search kicad-locale to find available languages)
- kicad-docs-XX: documentation in your language. Same remark than kicad-locale-XX

** If you are using daily build AND want to stay in 5.0: **
You must remove daily build ppa from your sources and remove any existing kicad packages before installing any 5.0 version.
Keep in mind that daily build package will be always more recent than any release packages.

PS: I've removed wrong package names.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 05:02:48 pm by HoracioDos »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »
Kicad download page is still in 4.0.7 for ubuntu install. This is the new version 5.0 PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~js-reynaud/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-5

This ppa provide releases build for KiCad 5.0 branch.

To use it:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install kicad

You should be interested to install also:
- kicad-libraries: a virtual package that will recommend you to install footprints, symbols, templates and 3D
- kicad-symbols, kicad-templates, kicad-footprints, kicad-packages3d: if you want to manually select what library to install.
- kicad-locale-XX: locales for your language (XX is your contry code. see apt search kicad-locale to find available languages)
- kicad-docs-XX: documentation in your language. Same remark than kicad-locale-XX

** If you are using daily build AND want to stay in 5.0: **
You must remove daily build ppa from your sources and remove any existing kicad packages before installing any 5.0 version.
Keep in mind that daily build package will be always more recent than any release packages.

E: Package 'kicad-library-all' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'kicad-library-footprints' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'kicad-library-packages3d' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'kicad-library-symbols' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'kicad-library-templates' has no installation candidate

Yeap! It's still a toy.

Uh, I don't even use Linux and I still know that the people who package an application for a particular distribution are not the application's core developers.

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 05:00:16 pm »
Uh, I don't even use Linux and I still know that the people who package an application for a particular distribution are not the application's core developers.
I've made a huge mistake. Package names are wrong.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 05:03:25 pm »
I've made a huge mistake. Package names are wrong.
Also, if you had 4.x installed and want to add that PPA, clean your KiCad configuration (~/.config/kicad probably). They have renamed some libraries (removed 's' at the end), but the mapping is stored in the user configuration. You will either have to change it by hand, or remove it and let KiCad do its thing automatically.

It all will work, but you will not see any footprints.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: HoracioDos

Offline HoracioDos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 05:21:57 pm »
Also, if you had 4.x installed and want to add that PPA, clean your KiCad configuration (~/.config/kicad probably). They have renamed some libraries (removed 's' at the end), but the mapping is stored in the user configuration. You will either have to change it by hand, or remove it and let KiCad do its thing automatically.

It all will work, but you will not see any footprints.
Thank you very much for your advice. You've saved me a lot of trouble. I've made a backup and I deleted all kicad config. I opened a project (4.x) and let kicad to do all conversions and it worked fine. Thanks again.

Offline ggchab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 08:09:01 am »
In the last nightly builds I installed, the version info is already 6.0.0-rc1  :o

Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-86-g887ee4693), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.3
    libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8 )
    Boost: 1.60.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
    Curl: 7.54.1
    Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 08:30:43 am »
Yes. This is normal. Version 5 is now on its own branch. Development continues toward version 6. If you are using nightly builds, you should also follow the developers mailing list.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 08:37:05 am »
Yes. This is normal. Version 5 is now on its own branch. Development continues toward version 6. If you are using nightly builds, you should also follow the developers mailing list.

Alexander.
It is rather more unusual for the first version of the new branch to be at rc1 status, though  ;)

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 05:48:11 pm »

Alexander.
It is rather more unusual for the first version of the new branch to be at rc1 status, though  ;)

It's the branch which will ultimately become RC1.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf