Author Topic: Kicad 5.1.8 on Mac - spinning wheel after every operation  (Read 3536 times)

Offline dfnr2Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Kicad 5.1.8 on Mac - spinning wheel after every operation
« on: December 09, 2020, 09:46:49 pm »
I have been using KiCad on a Mac Pro with MacOS 14 Catalina for some hobby projects, most recently v 5.1.7

I just upgraded to 5.1.8, and when I load existing schematics, EEschema now will show the operation (such as drawing a wire, deleting an object, etc.) right away, but delays 4-5 seconds (with spinning wheel) before updating the connections (i.e., new junction dots, wire to part connection, etc.)

However, if I start a new schematic, I don't observe that behavior.

I can imagine perhaps some setting or item in the schematic is causing EESChema to do some extra work for every operation.   It's  as if EESchema is crunching a large amount of data when processing the new configuration. 

Has anyone seen anything similar?  I am certain this is an odd corner case, as the software would never be released if if behaved as I observe on my system.  I would really be glad to find a fix.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Dave

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
Re: Kicad 5.1.8 on Mac - spinning wheel after every operation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 10:15:20 pm »
Is the file being edited on a networked drive? Is it a hierarchical drawing? There is a known bug that was reported a while back. I see it sometimes editing drawings on a Dropbox folder, also with Catalina

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 10:37:03 pm »
The file is not on Dropbox or a networked drive.  It is in a Git project, but I doubt that's relevant.

I just found that if I delete most of the schematic, or move a large number of items, the redraw is in slow-motion.  Once I've deleted most of the schematic, then the operation and the redraws speed up.  However, when I first open the schematic page, the rendering is instant, as is resizing and panning.   It seems like something more than graphics acceleration issues, especially since drawing a short wire segment results in a 5-second delay before drawing the junction dot.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:40:09 pm by dfnr2 »

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:39:12 am »
Please check if this bug report is relevant to your problem, and maybe comment on it if you think it is:

https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/5596#note_444124782

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 07:37:42 pm »
Doesn't appear to be the same bug.  No network or virtual fs, just a regular fs.  And also, not all operations are slow.  For example, moving seems reasonably snappy, even if a junction is broken or formed.  But dragging causes a delay (after the part is dragged).  And undo/redo is slow-motion.

I don't see this behavior opening the same files with Kicad 5.1.8 on Windows 10 under Parallels.  That setup actually does mount my mac home directory as a network drive.

Even more confounding is that moving back to 5.1.7 doesn't seem to fix the problem, although I never observed this behavior before the 5.1.8 upgrade.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:19:07 pm »
5.1.9 has been released, from memory your bug is fixed.

Offline SeoulBigChris

• Regular Contributor
  • "Unencumbered by the thought process"
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 02:01:42 am »
I found this thread because I was experiencing the same problem on a Mac mini. I realized I was running the same version 5.1.8.  I upgraded to 5.1.9, and WOW, the difference in responsiveness is amazing.

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 02:25:47 pm »
Yes, there were two issues impacting macOS. One was file system hammering that depended on your setup, it affected Windows quite heavily on network shares.
The other was there was a bad render loop tweak specific for macOS because someone thought it made sense on their machine but it didn't really work on other machines.

In either case 5.1.9 is the gold version to use on macOS and Windows as these issues have existed from the very beginning of 5.0.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:27:56 pm by delfinom »

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 01:42:47 am »
I had the same with 5.1.8.  Installed 5.1.9 and the problem went away.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf