Author Topic: KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)  (Read 86566 times)

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
Re: KiCad 6 is coming!
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2021, 03:12:43 am »
Please don't feed the Trolls.

If I could have got it to do what I want I would have used it but I cant.
I couldnt even complete a track it wouldnt put down last segment.

I think it needs a bit longer to mature before it is usable.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2021, 03:46:07 am »
Who let Nigel out of his room again?

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Bassman59, phil from seattle

Offline LazyJack

• Frequent Contributor
  • Yeah, cool.
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2021, 01:21:01 pm »
Well. Many of us succeeded in drawing the last segment in a track, or even so, the last segment of a huge number of tracks and that resulted in having a manufactured PCB.
So I'm not sure now where to look for the problem.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2021, 02:06:13 pm »
The problem is that KiCad is Nigel's competitor.

The following users thanked this post: johnboxall, JohnnyMalaria

Offline benst

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2021, 04:51:45 pm »
I think I need a bit longer to mature before I am usable.
There, fixed it.
I hack for work and pleasure.

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2021, 07:20:54 pm »
Chris Gammell did an interview with Kicad developer Jon Evans about KiCad 6 development a couple days ago.  It isn't on youtube but can be accessed here.  You may need to download it to watch. Interesting insight into the design philosophy.  It's a bit "chit-chatty" but still has a decent SNR.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:27:23 pm by phil from seattle »

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2021, 07:21:53 pm »
I think I need a bit longer to mature before I am usable.
There, fixed it.
Feedin' the Troll, again...   :scared:

Offline twospoons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2021, 05:58:16 am »
So I'm not sure now where to look for the problem.

I would start by looking between the keyboard and the chair.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2021, 06:59:10 am »
Things have gone quiet regarding the KiCad 6 release. I am aware of the team's "it' will be ready when it's ready" approach and appreciate that it is not a commercial product with a committed schedule. But weren't they hoping to release 6.0 sometime during the first half of the year?

A quick web search did not find any recent updates or discussions. Does anyone have further insights into the current status and plans?

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2021, 07:11:52 am »
There are threads on the KiCad forum on this, e.g.: https://forum.kicad.info/t/version-6-release-plan/30013/62

Some people feel 5.99 is stable enough for daily use. Myself I prefer to wait, as you cannot go back to 5.1 after the files have been converted.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2021, 08:03:44 am »
I must admit I'm a bit disappointed as well but I don't blame the developers.
I prefer they polish it as much as possible and release it when they feel confident.
I hate agile software development...

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Jacon

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2021, 06:47:58 pm »
I must admit I'm a bit disappointed as well but I don't blame the developers.
I prefer they polish it as much as possible and release it when they feel confident.
I hate agile software development...

"It's ready when it's ready" is not agile. Agile means that you have a backlog of tasks that will get you to the release. Each sprint the backlog gets shorter and by the speed of the burn-down you can usually tell when it'll be ready.

But if the backlog doesn't get shorter or even grows, it's not agile, it's a death march.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2021, 12:13:42 am »
Some people feel 5.99 is stable enough for daily use.

Most of the KiCad users I know have switched to 5.99 nightlies for new boards. I've completed two projects using it ... really enjoying the mitred tracks, layer opacity control, and less recalcitrant routing. Will probably keep old projects in KiCad 5 format indefinitely though (or unless a major change is required).

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2021, 07:58:23 pm »
Things have gone quiet regarding the KiCad 6 release. I am aware of the team's "it' will be ready when it's ready" approach and appreciate that it is not a commercial product with a committed schedule. But weren't they hoping to release 6.0 sometime during the first half of the year?

A quick web search did not find any recent updates or discussions. Does anyone have further insights into the current status and plans?

On GitLab the target date for the 6.0.0 release candidate 1 is shown as Nov. 30, 2021. Recently I submitted a couple of bug reports and they were fixed promptly in the nightlies.

Currently there are 49 open issues with the 6.0.0-rc1 milestone.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, ch_scr, Mario87

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2021, 04:46:19 am »
Fresh announcement from Wayne:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg45375.html

The lead development team has agreed on a version 6 release schedule as follows:

- String freeze November 1.
- Tag RC1 on November 15.
- All repos frozen on December 14.
- Tag all repos with 6.0.0 on December 15.
- 6.0.0 release announcement December 31 (maybe the day before Christmas
  just for fun).
- Branch V6 and open master for new feature development on January 1.

The following users thanked this post: rolycat, JohanH, ebastler, Jacon, woofy, I wanted a rude username

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2021, 05:58:27 am »
That is excellent news!
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2021, 10:23:05 am »
Good news indeed. Although if one reads the remaining lines of that announcement, it becomes clear that we might not want to hold our breath for a Jan 1st release:  ::)

Our goal is to stick to that as closely as possible [...]
Hopefully the version 6 release will go reasonably smoothly and we can get started on version 7 in 2022.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2021, 05:45:03 am »
I'll be curious to have a look when it's ready. I'm still using 2013-07-07, I tried 5.1.0 a while back but experienced a lot of problems with the rendering and trying to convert existing designs just made a big mess so I rolled back.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #168 on: November 09, 2021, 08:32:36 pm »
I'll be curious to have a look when it's ready. I'm still using 2013-07-07, I tried 5.1.0 a while back but experienced a lot of problems with the rendering and trying to convert existing designs just made a big mess so I rolled back.

Jeez, they're up to 5.10 now -- and that's much improved over 5.1.0. And the old 2013? Yikes. Upgrade, man, upgrade!

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2021, 10:07:03 pm »
Jeez, they're up to 5.10 now -- and that's much improved over 5.1.0. And the old 2013? Yikes. Upgrade, man, upgrade!

Actually it's 5.1.10, i.e. the same 5.1 series as 5.1.0. And 5.1.11 has just been released.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2021, 05:57:09 pm »

Actually it's 5.1.10, i.e. the same 5.1 series as 5.1.0. And 5.1.11 has just been released.

You are correct! Dunno why I screwed that up, especially since I could've just launched Kicad and looked at the "About" dialog.

The advice about "upgrade, man, upgrade!" remains!

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2021, 10:18:13 pm »
It seems 5.1.11 was short lived as they found a regression so didn't even appear for some platforms so 5.1.12 is imminent.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2021, 10:46:39 pm »
As I've said before, it's worth at least trying the current nightlies (5.99, the work in progress for 6).

Many of the things that were show stoppers for me in earlier versions (mostly really dumb UI issues) have gone away. To the point that whereas I was quite a detractor of KiCad pre 5.99 I'm quite happy to use it now and recommend it to people who don't have access to one of the big money packages. Yes, there are still things that could be better done, there are still some egregious UI issues (e.g. grossly inconsistent tabbing orders) but it's useable whereas before I didn't believe that it was. I've cranked out two 4 layer boards and two 2 layer boards with it without problems.

It still lacks features that some of the big packages have, but on the other hand it crashes less often than some of the big packages. The UI could still use a whole lot of work, but it at least now has some consistency rather than being the ragbag it was before. If you're using a older version I would strongly recommend giving it a try.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2021, 01:03:52 am »
I'm using v5.1.8 and just finished a couple of 4-layer boards.  These had been 2-layer but some circuit changes convinced me to try going 4-layer.  It was ridiculously easy, and once I figured out how to have a zone within a zone (see "priority") I ended up being quite happy with the result.  A much cleaner layout, done in one evening. (See attachment.  The SMA connector 3D models aren't exactly right, but the pads on the board do fit the connectors I am using.  I added the breakout grids surrounding the two big chips because I had room and figured I might want to use the board for other things.)

I downloaded the v5.99 version (or whatever it was a couple of months ago), and it looked good, but I'm afraid to transition my work in progress to it as it apparently uses a different library structure and you can't revert back.  Since I'm pretty happy with v5.1.8 I was planning to hold out for the official 6 release. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 01:08:11 am by fourfathom »
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2021, 06:30:42 am »
I am running 5.1.10. Had to set up a new computer recently and went with the then-current production version of KiCad.

My reason for being reluctant to try 5.99 and then update to 6.x hopefully very soon is that KiCad's update process has not worked well for me in the past. After I updated KiCad on my previous machine I found myself with a second set of libraries and a lot of confusion which ones were used where. I don't recall the details, but it took a long time to clean up.

Have you in general been able to update (or try 5.99 in parallel with your prior version?) without problems?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf