Electronics > KiCad

KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)

<< < (33/90) > >>

Karel:
I must admit I'm a bit disappointed as well but I don't blame the developers.
I prefer they polish it as much as possible and release it when they feel confident.
I hate agile software development...

thinkfat:

--- Quote from: Karel on October 09, 2021, 08:03:44 am ---I must admit I'm a bit disappointed as well but I don't blame the developers.
I prefer they polish it as much as possible and release it when they feel confident.
I hate agile software development...

--- End quote ---

"It's ready when it's ready" is not agile. Agile means that you have a backlog of tasks that will get you to the release. Each sprint the backlog gets shorter and by the speed of the burn-down you can usually tell when it'll be ready.

But if the backlog doesn't get shorter or even grows, it's not agile, it's a death march.

I wanted a rude username:

--- Quote from: retiredfeline on October 09, 2021, 07:11:52 am ---Some people feel 5.99 is stable enough for daily use.

--- End quote ---

Most of the KiCad users I know have switched to 5.99 nightlies for new boards. I've completed two projects using it ... really enjoying the mitred tracks, layer opacity control, and less recalcitrant routing. Will probably keep old projects in KiCad 5 format indefinitely though (or unless a major change is required).

rf-messkopf:

--- Quote from: ebastler on October 09, 2021, 06:59:10 am ---Things have gone quiet regarding the KiCad 6 release. I am aware of the team's "it' will be ready when it's ready" approach and appreciate that it is not a commercial product with a committed schedule. But weren't they hoping to release 6.0 sometime during the first half of the year?

A quick web search did not find any recent updates or discussions. Does anyone have further insights into the current status and plans?

--- End quote ---

On GitLab the target date for the 6.0.0 release candidate 1 is shown as Nov. 30, 2021. Recently I submitted a couple of bug reports and they were fixed promptly in the nightlies.

Currently there are 49 open issues with the 6.0.0-rc1 milestone.

bitwelder:
Fresh announcement from Wayne:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg45375.html

--- Quote ---The lead development team has agreed on a version 6 release schedule as follows:

- String freeze November 1.
- Tag RC1 on November 15.
- All repos frozen on December 14.
- Tag all repos with 6.0.0 on December 15.
- 6.0.0 release announcement December 31 (maybe the day before Christmas
  just for fun).
- Branch V6 and open master for new feature development on January 1.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version