Author Topic: KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)  (Read 86556 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: KiCad 6 is coming!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 07:58:24 pm »
The difficulty with putting graphics on copper in KiCad is something I've never understood. I see no logical reason to allow it in silkscreen and not copper, the layers are handled the same way.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:05 am »

Hi all,

I have spent the last two days updating the article.

There’s still work to do, but want to:

Let you know there’s a lot of new content as suggested by the contributors in this discussion topic.
    To thank you for helping me make the article as complete as possible.

More to come in a few days.

The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, I wanted a rude username

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:53 am »
James, you can set colors (including the background) to whatever you want. I went with the default.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 07:51:01 am »
Is object selection in EEschema fixed so it doesn't move selection automatically when you drag select?

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 08:43:07 am »
On a more serious note: it looks like a lot of interface changes have occurred, I'll have to see how they feel in-person.  I really hope eeschema's background colour hasn't changed to grey as the screenshots suggest.

I would assume it's configurable. The default in the older versions is blinding white, I always change it to black first thing after installing, I'd be shocked (and really annoyed) if they took away the ability to customize colors.

You can set whatever color you want in V5.
I don't like white but I also don't like a dark background for the schematic editor. So I set it to the same as Eagle: RGB 238, 238, 206.
It looks old fashioned but it's perfect for me, no eyestrain anymore.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 05:04:20 pm »
Is object selection in EEschema fixed so it doesn't move selection automatically when you drag select?

Not sure what you're referring to - there is in V5 eeschema a specific behavior, that when you select an area, it automatically goes into drag/move mode. Is that what you're referring to? If yes, that's been changed (fixed?). It's now slightly less convenient to move parts of the schematic around during cleanup. You need to hit "m" to start moving the selection.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:09 pm »

Not sure what you're referring to - there is in V5 eeschema a specific behavior, that when you select an area, it automatically goes into drag/move mode. Is that what you're referring to? If yes, that's been changed (fixed?). It's now slightly less convenient to move parts of the schematic around during cleanup. You need to hit "m" to start moving the selection.

Yes ,that is what I was referring to. Thank you for the answer!!

I understand what you are saying, but that also made it inconsistent with all other tools in the world and PCBnew itself in how it treats mouse behaviour. It was easier to move and infuriating for everything else..

Anyways, that is, for me, good news. Once 6.0 is released,I might try doing some simpler projects in Kicad to see how am I going to get along with it..

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 02:14:43 am »
Hmm, I am not sure what you mean. Could you clarify so I can do a test for you?

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 02:41:51 am »
Interesting new features! However, I hope the limited naming scheme for bus signals will be changed into a more practical one. The current bus[0..n] is quite cumbersome in most cases. No way to create an SPI bus with comprehensible signal names, for example.
This is supported, but I don't think the documentation has been updated yet. The old syntax is still supported, and it's also possible to do something like SRAM{RW CS ACK A[0..16] D[0..16]}
[/quote]

This is something that I find difficult to find information about. Is there any information you can provide to help me fill in this stub in the article? (https://techexplorations.com/blog/kicad/kicad-6-review-new-and-improved-features/#t-1611032693203)

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 03:03:05 pm »
On a more serious note: it looks like a lot of interface changes have occurred, I'll have to see how they feel in-person.  I really hope eeschema's background colour hasn't changed to grey as the screenshots suggest.

I would assume it's configurable. The default in the older versions is blinding white, I always change it to black first thing after installing, I'd be shocked (and really annoyed) if they took away the ability to customize colors.

You can set whatever color you want in V5.
I don't like white but I also don't like a dark background for the schematic editor. So I set it to the same as Eagle: RGB 238, 238, 206.
It looks old fashioned but it's perfect for me, no eyestrain anymore.

Just for inspiration below is my color scheme. I downloaded it somewhere from github.

The following users thanked this post: futureshocked

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 08:54:26 pm »
Impressive review.  Thanks to Peter for doing it.  Kicad 6 looks to be far better than I initially thought.

So, the million dollar question - is it stable enough to switch to full time?  Guess I need to get it and see for myself.

The following users thanked this post: futureshocked

Offline gsocker

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 12:39:34 am »
Interesting new features! However, I hope the limited naming scheme for bus signals will be changed into a more practical one. The current bus[0..n] is quite cumbersome in most cases. No way to create an SPI bus with comprehensible signal names, for example.
This is supported, but I don't think the documentation has been updated yet. The old syntax is still supported, and it's also possible to do something like SRAM{RW CS ACK A[0..16] D[0..16]}

This is something that I find difficult to find information about. Is there any information you can provide to help me fill in this stub in the article? (https://techexplorations.com/blog/kicad/kicad-6-review-new-and-improved-features/#t-1611032693203)
[/quote]
I had to digging for this one, they were introduced quite a while ago :) : https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc/blob/d27c4009275d2801da932cf0d0dfdccd4448ed58/src/eeschema/eeschema_schematic_creation_and_editing.adoc#wires-buses-labels-power-ports

Edit:Fix link

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 03:26:04 am »

I have just updated the article with information on the new bus capabilities.

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 03:29:12 am »
Some bugs found right after I downloaded the latest nightly PPA release:

1. Footprint editor will not display grid correctly.
2. Schematic library conversion gets the library lost.

I didn't test further before removing it. I'll wait for its final release.

Would be really cool if you could raise issues here: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 03:32:59 am »
In reading the article, I get the sense that this is more an internal change (S expressions uber alles) and some visual candy.  Now that I've got all the obscure aspects memorized, time to change! Hopefully it will be easy.

It doesn't look like they put effort into simplifying the libraries - it took me a while to figure it all out but is way more convoluted than it needs to be.  Especially if you want to distribute a kicad design. There really needs to be a button that packages up all the lib elements for distribution. Something that Eagle does automatically since like 2005. I find missing symbols and footprints in all sorts of Kicad files out there. Annoying to have to chase them down, if you even can. Still haven't found the Pico's USB connector symbol.

I also hope they made managing design revisions easier but it doesn't look like they did. Again, something that is trivially easy in Eagle.

It seems that in KiCad 6, the schematic and layout files will contain all symbols and footprints. No dependencies on external libraries. When you share the project, all symbols and footprints will travel along. Also, the main KiCad window has a function under the File menu to create a ZIP archive of the project (which you can share with others).

Offline futureshocked

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 03:37:15 am »
Impressive review.  Thanks to Peter for doing it.  Kicad 6 looks to be far better than I initially thought.

So, the million dollar question - is it stable enough to switch to full time?  Guess I need to get it and see for myself.

Well... I haven't had any work lost while playing with the nightly build. Only various annoying issues that I have reported them as issues for fixing. The file management and libraries look solid.

I am mindful that the program changes daily, so I work on copies of my projects.

I would wait a bit longer for serious work though. KiCad devs are careful, but it only takes one bad commit to break something important.

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2021, 05:49:30 am »
It HERE!!!
At least with my update on Mint Linux OS. It just downloaded it, after asking to change the direct repo link.

Thought I was just getting some bug fixes, although I have not yet looked at it.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2021, 04:16:39 am »
Another excellent new feature is the ability to drag a footprint - and have the P&S router drag the traces connected to it.  Makes it much less work to scoot a footprint over a little.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2021, 06:56:41 pm »
Another excellent new feature is the ability to drag a footprint - and have the P&S router drag the traces connected to it.  Makes it much less work to scoot a footprint over a little.

Sounds great!

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2021, 09:07:19 pm »
While kicad is generally ok and has good libraries I did spot a huge clanger in their software.
If I try to layout a pcb it just puts the pcb parts in a line across the top of the pcb.
This is a real pain.
I want the parts laid out as they were in schematic with associated components next to each other !

With kicads way I have to move all the parts onto the pcb then work out what should be close to what !
What a useless pile of rubbish.
Still you pay your money (or not) and take your choice.

kicads way is maybe ok for half a dozen components but for something bigger just plain stupid.

Online retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2021, 09:30:19 pm »
I want the parts laid out as they were in schematic with associated components next to each other !

That's what happens now, the positions mirror those in the schematic. Your observation is out of date.

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:16 pm »

That's what happens now, the positions mirror those in the schematic. Your observation is out of date.

I just downloaded latest version and thats how it did it.

Nearly as sensible as the dark red sheet layout on black !
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:41:00 pm by nigelwright7557 »

Online retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2021, 12:03:57 am »
Install the schematic locations plugin and use it. It'll probably be standard behaviour in V6.

Nobody pays any attention to the sheet header in Pcbnew anyway but you can change the colour.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 12:07:27 am by retiredfeline »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2021, 12:59:11 am »
What a useless pile of rubbish.
Still you pay your money (or not) and take your choice.

Yes, we've all already seen that any software you didn't write is crap. How dare anyone attempt to write something else and not have the same priorities or preferences as you.

The following users thanked this post: janoc, Jacon

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf