Electronics > KiCad

KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)

<< < (80/90) > >>

delfinom:

--- Quote from: thinkfat on January 13, 2022, 07:47:38 pm ---
--- Quote from: Munyua44 on January 13, 2022, 09:17:55 am ---i have been using the kicad 5.1 and it has very poor simulation features. Am hoping that Kicad 6 has improved on the simulation features such tat we do not need to look for another external source of simulation.
Also hope the autorouting process is back so that it can be very helpful when training our beginner students.

--- End quote ---

I don't think much has changed there. The simulation engine is still ngspice and you still have to hunt high and low for spice or xspice models for your components.

--- End quote ---

ngspice is fine, even EAGLE/autodesk have integrated it...not that it's saying anything but hey, it works and there's not much alternative because of how extremely niche and high level mathematics the simulators are.
v6 fixes some bugs and tweak but it's not much of an change over v5 I think.

However, there is now a maintainer for the simulator and he has big plans for v7, and potentially alot more awesome goodies ;)

JohnG:

--- Quote from: delfinom on January 15, 2022, 03:13:46 pm ---ngspice is fine, even EAGLE/autodesk have integrated it...not that it's saying anything but hey, it works and there's not much alternative because of how extremely niche and high level mathematics the simulators are.

However, there is now a maintainer for the simulator and he has big plans for v7, and potentially alot more awesome goodies ;)

--- End quote ---

Even Altium has switched to ngspice: https://resources.altium.com/p/a-first-look-at-altium-designer-20. I hope some of these companies adopting ngspice throw in some resources to the developers.

Very glad to hear that there are big plans for including simulation in KiCad. I hope they focus on smoothing the workflow and output graphs first. I will keep an eye out.

John

John

nctnico:

--- Quote from: JohnG on January 16, 2022, 07:58:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: delfinom on January 15, 2022, 03:13:46 pm ---ngspice is fine, even EAGLE/autodesk have integrated it...not that it's saying anything but hey, it works and there's not much alternative because of how extremely niche and high level mathematics the simulators are.

--- End quote ---

Even Altium has switched to ngspice: https://resources.altium.com/p/a-first-look-at-altium-designer-20. I hope some of these companies adopting ngspice throw in some resources to the developers.

Very glad to hear that there are big plans for including simulation in KiCad. I hope they focus on smoothing the workflow and output graphs first. I will keep an eye out.

--- End quote ---
Well, being able to use a component database should come first. That is the most important feature (that is still missing) to be able to use KiCad professionally for real.

Uky:
Had a problem with a Gerber file yesterday that would not print correctly with the Pentalogix ViewMate. Downloaded KiCad 6.0.1 and imported the file.
(Metric 4.3) While the display canvas showed the file correctly - the print engine with the preview lacked several traces.

:(

JohnG:

--- Quote from: nctnico on January 16, 2022, 10:03:10 pm ---Well, being able to use a component database should come first. That is the most important feature (that is still missing) to be able to use KiCad professionally for real.

--- End quote ---

I agree 100%.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version