Electronics > KiCad

KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)

<< < (81/90) > >>

delfinom:

--- Quote from: nctnico on January 16, 2022, 10:03:10 pm ---
--- Quote from: JohnG on January 16, 2022, 07:58:54 pm ---
--- Quote from: delfinom on January 15, 2022, 03:13:46 pm ---ngspice is fine, even EAGLE/autodesk have integrated it...not that it's saying anything but hey, it works and there's not much alternative because of how extremely niche and high level mathematics the simulators are.
v6 fixes some bugs and tweak but it's not much of an change over v5 I think.

However, there is now a maintainer for the simulator and he has big plans for v7, and potentially alot more awesome goodies ;)

--- End quote ---

Even Altium has switched to ngspice: https://resources.altium.com/p/a-first-look-at-altium-designer-20. I hope some of these companies adopting ngspice throw in some resources to the developers.

Very glad to hear that there are big plans for including simulation in KiCad. I hope they focus on smoothing the workflow and output graphs first. I will keep an eye out.

--- End quote ---
Well, being able to use a component database should come first. That is the most important feature (that is still missing) to be able to use KiCad professionally for real.

--- End quote ---

The few people planning to work on the simulator are also ones that have no interest in the component database.
There is someone else throwing around that feature for v7, whether it makes it in or not is a different story

We are a open source project, nobody is forced to work on things they don't have interest in. Unlike a job where you have to suck it up and do it  ;)

Uky:
IMHO: Having a decent interface that can import or export things are the most valuable feature of any CAE software.
Adding propertys to a schematic drawing and then being able to export a netlist to an external tool such as a Spice
simulator would take some efforts out of having to write such a software within a suite.

Importing propertys from external sources as well. It would perhaps be better if KiCAD made it possible to connect
to an external database software. There are several free versions of eg. SQL than to create a proprietary system.

Flexibility is worth a lot!

nctnico:

--- Quote from: delfinom on January 19, 2022, 01:32:09 pm ---
--- Quote from: delfinom on January 15, 2022, 03:13:46 pm ---ngspice is fine, even EAGLE/autodesk have integrated it...not that it's saying anything but hey, it works and there's not much alternative because of how extremely niche and high level mathematics the simulators are.

However, there is now a maintainer for the simulator and he has big plans for v7, and potentially alot more awesome goodies ;)

--- End quote ---

Even Altium has switched to ngspice: https://resources.altium.com/p/a-first-look-at-altium-designer-20. I hope some of these companies adopting ngspice throw in some resources to the developers.

Very glad to hear that there are big plans for including simulation in KiCad. I hope they focus on smoothing the workflow and output graphs first. I will keep an eye out.

--- End quote ---
Well, being able to use a component database should come first. That is the most important feature (that is still missing) to be able to use KiCad professionally for real.

--- End quote ---

The few people planning to work on the simulator are also ones that have no interest in the component database.
There is someone else throwing around that feature for v7, whether it makes it in or not is a different story

We are a open source project, nobody is forced to work on things they don't have interest in. Unlike a job where you have to suck it up and do it  ;)

--- End quote ---
I get that but having a database driven component management system would propel Kicad up to the level where Altium and Orcad are. Simulation is kinda meh. With free software like Ltspice and Microcap being around, simulation is pretty well served already.

You are not going to use one schematic for both a circuit board and simulation anyway because simulation often needs the use of dummy/extra components. Also having excess components slows simulation down so typically you only simulate parts of a circuit. IOW: don't fall into the trap thinking that having simulation integrated saves time for drawing a schematic twice; it doesn't.

Bassman59:

--- Quote from: nctnico on January 19, 2022, 05:30:55 pm ---
--- Quote from: delfinom on January 19, 2022, 01:32:09 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I get that but having a database driven component management system would propel Kicad up to the level where Altium and Orcad are. Simulation is kinda meh. With free software like Ltspice and Microcap being around, simulation is pretty well served already.

You are not going to use one schematic for both a circuit board and simulation anyway because simulation often needs the use of dummy/extra components. Also having excess components slows simulation down so typically you only simulate parts of a circuit. IOW: don't fall into the trap thinking that having simulation integrated saves time for drawing a schematic twice; it doesn't.

--- End quote ---

I agree in principle that a database-driven library system would be a worthwhile addition to the Kicad feature set.

But out of everyone who says "Kicad needs database libraries!" zero of them have been willing to step up and write a description of what that actually means and offer a design proposal for discussion.

And since none of the database enthusiasts have done so, the developers have continued fixing and refining the program's main functionality.

Is anyone willing to start that discussion with the developers on the Gitlab site or the mailing list, or will it just remain on forums?

nctnico:
As the reply of delfinom already indicates; the developers of Kicad seem to be unaware of the huge value of having a database driven component system. Love has to come from both sides...

A couple of years ago I have seriously considered of shelling out several k euro for someone to add a database driven component system to Kicad. However my (bad) experience with contributing to other open source projects has made me decide not to go this route. If there is no love from the core team for a feature then it won't be maintained and it is likely to be abandoned in future versions. So I spend the money at the local Orcad distributor.

AFAIK there is a specification for what a database driven component system for Kicad should look like and IIRC it looks pretty complete. And it is not like this is something new; I have been using Orcad with a database driven component system for 20+ years. There is tons of information from Altium and Orcad on how such a system should work. Copy & paste

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version