Electronics > KiCad

KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)

<< < (82/90) > >>

John B:
In KiCad 5, I used a plugin to duplicate PCB footprint layouts based on hierarchical sheets:

https://github.com/MitjaNemec/Kicad_action_plugins

Are there any other options with KiCad 6, or just hang tight till there's some plugins available?

delfinom:

--- Quote from: nctnico on January 19, 2022, 07:09:24 pm ---As the reply of delfinom already indicates; the developers of Kicad seem to be unaware of the huge value of having a database driven component system. Love has to come from both sides...

A couple of years ago I have seriously considered of shelling out several k euro for someone to add a database driven component system to Kicad. However my (bad) experience with contributing to other open source projects has made me decide not to go this route. If there is no love from the core team for a feature then it won't be maintained and it is likely to be abandoned in future versions. So I spend the money at the local Orcad distributor.

AFAIK there is a specification for what a database driven component system for Kicad should look like and IIRC it looks pretty complete. And it is not like this is something new; I have been using Orcad with a database driven component system for 20+ years. There is tons of information from Altium and Orcad on how such a system should work. Copy & paste

--- End quote ---

Again, if you actually read my post. There is already somebody planning to work on it.
There are others planning work on the simulator.

You don't have a carpenter do your plumbing. The same thing applies here. Otherwise, they both can use hand tools, so why can't they do either job ;)  The only thing I can otherwise say is you are just being disrespectful of programmers if you are trying to say "why don't they all work on this to serve me", abstract organizational tooling is the same as linear algebra in spice right?

--- Quote from: Bassman59 on January 19, 2022, 06:37:31 pm ---Is anyone willing to start that discussion with the developers on the Gitlab site or the mailing list, or will it just remain on forums?

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't worry about it. It's been brought up on the mailing list before and it usually dies off for the same reason, people who make no code contribution argue in endless circles. Design by committee almost never works or else you just get USB 3.2 2x2 Extreme Edition. The gitlab issue is open here: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/7436

Since the Jon assigned it to himself, it'll probably get done for v7 ;)

dunkemhigh:

--- Quote ---you are just being disrespectful of programmers if you are trying to say "why don't they all work on this to serve me"
--- End quote ---

But that isn't what they are saying. They are actually saying that if you want the product to appeal to the end user, and be treated as a grown-up product, it needs to do such and such. Being open source and all that, the developers are free to do whatever their desire dictates, but then they shouldn't be surprised if the end result doesn't appeal too much.

What if one is not a programmer, or not a programmer of desktop programs, or not a programmer of the language du jour? Are suggestions/requirements automatically void because you can't implement them yourself? How about if you've contributed with funds - does that make you more or less worthy than someone who's contributed a lot of code that wasn't up to scratch and got rejected?

nctnico:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on January 19, 2022, 09:04:37 pm ---
--- Quote ---you are just being disrespectful of programmers if you are trying to say "why don't they all work on this to serve me"
--- End quote ---

But that isn't what they are saying. They are actually saying that if you want the product to appeal to the end user, and be treated as a grown-up product, it needs to do such and such. Being open source and all that, the developers are free to do whatever their desire dictates, but then they shouldn't be surprised if the end result doesn't appeal too much.

--- End quote ---
Precisely! As an outsider looking in I'm simply stating what is missing. It is up to the developers to pick it up or not.

From https://www.kicad.org/about/kicad/
Mission Statement
The goal of the KiCad project is to provide the best possible cross platform electronics design application for professional electronics designers. Every effort is made to hide the complexity of advanced design features so that KiCad remains approachable by new and inexperienced users, but when determining the direction of the project and the priority of new features, the needs of professional users take precedence.

Professional users need a database driven component system so why hasn't this been implemented yet? And why get hostile towards people pointing that out?  >:D The so typical  'do it yourself if you want this feature' response is getting a bit old.

Cerebus:

--- Quote from: nctnico on January 19, 2022, 09:14:49 pm ---Professional users need a database driven component system so why hasn't this been implemented yet? And why get hostile towards people pointing that out?  >:D

--- End quote ---

This seems to be the KiCad ethos, at least as put forward by KiCad people I have seen commenting on the EEVBlog forum. There seems to be a general antipathy from them towards experienced electronics professionals remarking on what an electronics CAD tool needs. The usual final retort is "well if you want that why don't you contribute" where contribute means "write code" completely ignoring that contributing requirements and insights is also contributing.

The problem with these kind of projects is that people work on what they want to, what interests them, rather than what is needed. That's the nature of the beast and it would take much cannier project management than you ever see to steer the ship in the direction of doing "what's needed" rather than "what Johnny, who can do this, feels like playing with". Case in point, I see "linear algebra" mentioned above. That suggests to me that someone who wants to write their own circuit simulator from scratch is working on the simulation side of things, because you need to know next to nothing about linear algebra to improve the integration with existing simulation tools such as ngspice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version