Author Topic: KiCad 6 is coming! (has arrived!!)  (Read 85423 times)

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
Re: KiCad 6 is coming!
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2021, 06:48:46 am »
Well I was lucky because I never ran 4, so I never suffered upgrade trauma. Although I probably could figure it out if I encountered a problem. I suspect 90% of the problems boil down to library paths.

The reason I'm holding off is simply because I only design hobby boards for myself not for a living so I can live without the new features a bit longer. Also I want any unfortunates who download my designs to be able to open them with a production version. I don't want to have to say you have to install 5.99 to modify my design.

If you are trying it for the first time, or haven't used any version since 4, I'd recommend making a fresh start with 5.99. Make sure you clear all vestiges of any 4 installs though. Many professional users have already given the thumbs up to 5.99 so it will be good. In any case, within a couple of months time it will be moot.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2021, 12:00:24 pm »
I downloaded the v5.99 version (or whatever it was a couple of months ago), and it looked good, but I'm afraid to transition my work in progress to it as it apparently uses a different library structure and you can't revert back.  Since I'm pretty happy with v5.1.8 I was planning to hold out for the official 6 release.

I went through a similar thinking process about the non-reversibility. After playing with 5.99 (All the nightlies are '5.99', you need to use a date or the git hash to distinguish between them) in a parallel setup I switched to using the nightlies as daily driver. For the last six months or so I've found almost all the nightlies as stable as production versions - only one have I had to grab the next day's version because of a problem. I don't update nightly, only every few weeks.

The glacial progress of many FOSS projects means that often the ostensible alpha/beta version is the one to use once it's basically stable rather than wait a year or two for the pukka 'release' version. KiCad is no different in that regard.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2021, 12:06:25 pm »
Have you in general been able to update (or try 5.99 in parallel with your prior version?) without problems?

There are instructions (somewhere, don't ask where, it's more than six months ago I used it) on setting up in parallel and they worked without a hitch for me. I soon however migrated off that setup because 5.99 is surprisingly trouble free. As always with these things, I find it best to regard the secondary set-up as "throw away" if need be, and the main original setup as sacrosanct. That way you don't mess up your workflow if the parallel setup goes horribly wrong. As I say, I probably migrated within a month of first trying 5.99.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2021, 01:49:54 pm »
Plugin and content manager now active in the latest nightly version. Only one so far is an INTERACTIVE HTML BOM plugin.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2021, 07:41:09 pm »
I just installed the latest 5.99 (after archiving all my existing jobs and libraries) and it is really nice.  Setting up the library path was easy  (I use my own custom library), and as a test I opened up an existing test project.  Schematic, layout, 3D render -- all look good.  I tried a little board editing, and while I haven't checked all the functions i's sure nice to see the cut/paste/move/drag command keyboard shortcuts normalized between the schematic and PCB tools.  I added a couple of layers to a 2-layer test board and it all went smoothly.  The PCB layer opacity features are nice.  Thanks, Cerebus, for nudging me to upgrade.

[edit] And it has hatched area fills!  I don't know if I need them, but it's a nice feature.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:47:02 pm by fourfathom »
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2021, 08:24:00 pm »
i's sure nice to see the cut/paste/move/drag command keyboard shortcuts normalized between the schematic and PCB tools

That is one of the things that was driving me crazy before it was fixed.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2021, 05:24:50 pm »
I just installed the latest 5.99 (after archiving all my existing jobs and libraries) and it is really nice.  Setting up the library path was easy  (I use my own custom library), and as a test I opened up an existing test project.  Schematic, layout, 3D render -- all look good.  I tried a little board editing, and while I haven't checked all the functions i's sure nice to see the cut/paste/move/drag command keyboard shortcuts normalized between the schematic and PCB tools.  I added a couple of layers to a 2-layer test board and it all went smoothly.  The PCB layer opacity features are nice.  Thanks, Cerebus, for nudging me to upgrade.

[edit] And it has hatched area fills!  I don't know if I need them, but it's a nice feature.

Can you elaborate on the steps for setting up your own library path? I'm in exactly the same situation and have been putting it off because I didn't want to mess around.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: November 13, 2021, 05:43:35 pm »

Not something I ever use, or at least haven't since PCB processes improved and it wasn't necessary to accommodate a board house's requirements. Then the other day I read a recommendation in an Analog data sheet (ADR1399) to use a hatched ground plane to reduce thermal mass when dealing with a device where thermal emfs may be an issue. Might find a use for them yet (I have an ADR1399 sample on order).

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: November 13, 2021, 07:03:56 pm »
Can you elaborate on the steps for setting up your own library path? I'm in exactly the same situation and have been putting it off because I didn't want to mess around.

If you mean for V5.x, I have a directory(folder) where I keep all my design stuff, completely separate from KiCad installation directory.  In this I have folders for each rev of a project (schematic, PCB, and related files).  I also have a personal library folder there, and that contains three more folders: 3D, footprints, and symbols.  I started out by opening up the default KiCad libraries and saving what I was using from that in my personal libraries.  From this point on any design uses parts from my personal library, and when I need a new part I build it myself (I prefer my own schematic symbols to what I usually find through SnapEDA or UltraLibrarian.  I do grab the 3D file (if available) from those sources, or elsewhere, I still haven't learned how to do my own 3D models.

I set up the path in the schematic-capture using  "Preferences / Configure Paths" and "Preferences / Manage Symbol Libraries"
In PCB layout it's "Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries"

There may be more to it than that, I just sort of tried stuff until it worked.  Somewhere along the line I removed the paths to the default libraries so I didn't have to scroll through those every time I wanted to place a component.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2021, 05:09:22 pm »
@fourfathom - thank you for the info. I have exactly the same structure.

Offline Mark19960

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2021, 01:52:44 pm »
I figured I would toss my hat into the version 6 ring....

I like what I see. There are numerous improvements to functionality and "quality of life".
I can't see going backwards to 5.x from a nightly....
(and yeah, I know that can bite me)

Just liking the new experience. :)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2021, 02:25:03 am »
I'm a little confused about what's going on with this. 

Here are their GitLab Milestones:
https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/milestones?sort=due_date_desc&state=all

They show version 6.0.0-rc1 as 100% complete with no open issues, but there isn't either an RC2, or a full release milestone. 

Does this mean it's ready and they are just working on logistics of pushing out the official v6 release? 
Is there some other place where they are keeping track of what's left to do for the 6 release?

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2021, 03:11:41 am »
They show version 6.0.0-rc1 as 100% complete with no open issues, but there isn't either an RC2, or a full release milestone. 

Does this mean it's ready and they are just working on logistics of pushing out the official v6 release? 
Is there some other place where they are keeping track of what's left to do for the 6 release?

Complete means that task (RC1) was done. Other tasks remain to be done before release.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2021, 05:03:40 am »

Complete means that task (RC1) was done. Other tasks remain to be done before release.

I get that.  I've worked with milestones before.

My confusion is coming from the fact that when you complete one milestone in a big long term project you typically move on to another one. 
If there was more work to do for v6, it would typically be included in another v6 related milestone.
I was expecting them to be working on something like "v6-RC2" or  "Official v6" or something like that.
The only obviously open milestone is "7.0".

I really don't care what they call their releases, or how they manage their project.  I'm much more interested in what bugs they still think need fixing in the nightlines for 6.0, and that's not obvious from their gitlab.

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2021, 05:13:43 am »
Maybe they haven't decided on the remaining milestones yet. Not every project is super-organised, small ones manage the best they can. Just sit back and it will be a pleasant surprise when it's released.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2021, 06:06:10 pm »
I like what I see. There are numerous improvements to functionality and "quality of life".
I can't see going backwards to 5.x from a nightly....

What would be the most significant improvement in your opinion?

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2021, 08:58:04 pm »
Just liking the new experience. :)

Bugs should get less as time goes on.
But having said that adding new code creates new bugs.
Test test test is the answer or just put it out to people to debug it for them.
My preferred method is to just be very careful with the code you write in the first place.

Offline e0ne199

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2021, 12:30:28 pm »
hello, i have a question... when can i download the latest KICAD (v6.0.0 rc1 or rc2)? does anyone here have the link? i don't really want to build that myself since i don't have the compiler  :)

Online woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2021, 01:26:36 pm »
This gets you RC2

sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-dev-nightly
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad-nightly

Or equivalent for your distro. That is the legacy way that I used.

Latest:
sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-dev-nightly
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad-nightly

But I've not tested that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 01:39:44 pm by woofy »

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2021, 11:08:25 am »
Has anyone here achieved a successful  install of the reynaud nightlies on Ubuntu or Mint virtual machine lately, as in  the last few days? I tried on both LTS 20.04 based ubuntu minimum and Mint (mate edition). The result is the download appeared successful and I can get the top level running but the moment I try to launch eeschema, or PCB ect. it crashes silently.

I fear I am doing something really stupid and obviously wrong.

Offline Dagon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2021, 01:37:32 pm »
Has anyone here achieved a successful  install of the reynaud nightlies on Ubuntu or Mint virtual machine lately, as in  the last few days?

I installed RC2 on mint 20.2 from kicad-dev-nightly that @woofy posted above.
No issues, everything work fine and I didn't need to do anything special. I will say it's a physical desktop rather then a VM.

Try running one of the programs directly from the cli and see if you get an error message e.g /usr/bin/eeschema-nightly
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:44:19 pm by Dagon »
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and bigfoot on the UFO.

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob

Offline retiredfeline

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2021, 01:42:03 pm »
The jsreynaud PPA says:

This legacy PPA should not be used anymore for new configuration. Please use official PPA instead:

ppa:kicad/kicad-dev-nightly

See https://www.kicad.org/download/ubuntu/ for details

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob

Online woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2021, 02:40:21 pm »
With V6 due on Xmas eve , It might be worth waiting for the release at this stage.
https://www.kicad.org/img/donations/2021_flyer.pdf

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2021, 03:55:28 pm »
My Mint 20.2 updated Kicad to 6.00 rc2 to my surprise a few days ago and works (my limited usage) just fine.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 03:59:33 pm by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

The following users thanked this post: chickenHeadKnob, ebastler

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2021, 01:06:25 pm »
Looks like 6.0.0 has been tagged in the source repository, I'm compiling it as I write this post. The master branch has already been switched to version "6.99.0". Libraries and 3D models were also tagged, I've already downloaded and installed them.

I'm guessing all that's left is writing the announcement ;)
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf