Electronics > KiCad

KiCAD 7.0.1 released

(1/9) > >>

johnboxall:
Smashed out a few bugs, etc.

https://www.kicad.org/blog/2023/03/KiCad-7.0.1-Release/

Doctorandus_P:
It's about once a month for bug fix releases (in the 3rd digit of the version number), so halfway in march was about expected.

I also count 103 bug fixes, (so that's about 3 per day on average) and that is also about what I expect for a new mayor release for KiCad.

Benta:
Just installed it as upgrade from 6.0.11.
Haven't gotten around to really using it yet, but the leap was much smaller than from 5.1 to 6.0.

SiliconWizard:
As with any major version upgrade, it will make your projects and libraries incompatible with v6. Obvious, but something to think about if you're collaborating with people who may have not upgraded. Do not rush it and plan, if that's your case.
For hobbyist use, of course it usually doesn't matter.

Otherwise, 7.0.1 fixes a sizable list of bugs so that's a much better bet than 7.0.0.
Still a few annoying quirks. One of them that I mentioned is that navigating hierarchical sheets has become much slower than in v6. But you get a sheet navigator. Switching sheets (unless they are practically empty, it worsens with the number of symbols and connections) takes in the order of 1s in v7 (it's an order, will of course depend on your computer), while it was much faster in v6. While many people don't seem to care much, I find it pretty annoying and it's been confirmed, so improvements should end up in a future release. Apparently, the development branch 7.99 already has improvements. Of course, for those who don't even use hierachical sheets, it doesn't matter.

I otherwise like the new features in the schematic editor, and also the "complete trace route" feature in the pcb editor, something I had been waiting for. The initial footprint placement has also been improved, so that should all make layouting more productive.

Benta:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on March 12, 2023, 10:17:56 pm ---As with any major version upgrade, it will make your projects and libraries incompatible with v6. Obvious, but something to think about if you're collaborating with people who may have not upgraded.

--- End quote ---

Too true. My enthusiasm has disappeared, and I'm reverting to 6.0.11, which has always done what I expected.
KiCAD 7 is not able to integrate my personal libraries, although they have the same names, format, location etc. And there's no function in 7 to fix this.
I have to add each and every personal library manually, which is intolerable.

Lousy upgrade IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version