Author Topic: Kicad domain changes to kicad.org ~~Avoid links to the previous domain!~~  (Read 20724 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
The KiCad domain name has changed, this is what they said in the post about it. This is the first paragraph of the announcement, there is more information in the link below.

The original KiCad domain name (kicad-pcb.org) was recently sold to an unnamed third party that is not affiliated with the KiCad Project or members of the KiCad Development Team. This sale was unexpected and may pose a risk to KiCad users. The new owners may simply post advertisements or (worst-case scenario) they may host malicious versions of the KiCad software for download.

https://forum.kicad.info/t/warning-avoid-all-links-to-kicad-pcb-org-use-kicad-org/31521
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 09:18:51 pm by Simon »

The following users thanked this post: Doctorandus_P, I wanted a rude username

Offline Mark19960

• Regular Contributor
Re: Kicad domain changes to kicad.org
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 07:19:41 am »
I don't understand why do people do stuff like this..... :palm:

Just..... give them the domain.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 07:53:35 am »
Jerk assholes

This sort of thing just does not hold on court...

But..  takes  time. And wastes money

Paul

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 10:06:29 am »
In American courts, it certainly holds up.

When the Cleveland Browns football team was sold and moved to Baltimore, someone apparently forget to buy the name too.  Thus, we now have the Baltimore Ravens and still have a team called the Cleveland Browns in Cleveland, Ohio.

As to why?  Whoever owned KiCad-pcb had a valuable property and sold it.  Things like that seem to happen all the time.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 01:48:33 pm »
Mr. Hollenbeck is such a Dick. ;) But, seriously, I will not judge him — I have no idea what exactly has happened there, how he was involved in the transaction, if he was, and in what situation.

The reason this has happened is not a single person failure. It’s the same story as with uncountable other community endeavours: organizational affairs are a dumpster fire. Everything is a makeshift structure glued together with hope and neglect, with attempts to introduce safeguards sometimes treated as an expression of distrust, nearly a personal attack.

This year another huge incident like that happened, with the Freenode network.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 06:03:26 pm »
Clarification. We moved to kicad.org in 2020. We even announced such both on our website and on DigiKey. Most links in our controlled were also changed over at the same time. Third party links are always a nightmare to get updated however and thats the issue at hand now thats more urgent.

This is just kicad-pcb.org being sold off without notice, and after previous refusal to transfer the domain to us.

The reason this has happened is not a single person failure. It’s the same story as with uncountable other community endeavours: organizational affairs are a dumpster fire
Ok, but as an organization we already expected this and took action in 2020 in partnership with DigiKey.

And also as an organization, we have involved the Linux Foundation which now holds the trademark and more. It is up to the LF to send lawyers for kicad-pcb.org ownership.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 06:41:32 pm by delfinom »

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 07:40:18 pm »
delfinom: first of all, don’t take that as a personal attack or an attempt to depreciate the KiCad community. While it may be harsh, I mean that as a critique that is meant to point to an important problem.

Unfortunately, there is that repeating pattern, which is worth addressing. This is not the first time such a situation happens and the story is always the same. And not only in community projects: the same mistakes are notoriously made in private life. That also happened to me, the effect of which is: I drive a car that is in half owned by a dead person and can’t be sold, new plates can’t be acquired, insurance companies are unhappy and so on.

Acquisition of kicad.org might have happened in 2020, but I am not saying you didn’t tried to remedy the situation. I am saying that such a situation shouldn’t happen in the first place. Not losing the domain, but depending on a domain completely owned by a third party, that can pull out their support at any time. In a wider perspective, the repeating pattern is: a bunch of people want to coöperate, do something together, each of them donate something, but all of them avoid any formalities, signing any agreements, clarifying obligations and rights. That’s the dumpster fire I am referring to: the domain incident is just an outcome. An outcome that does happen over and over again.

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 10:19:20 pm »
but all of them avoid any formalities, signing any agreements, clarifying obligations and rights.

This costs a lawyer, lawyers are not free or cheap or in many cases, even knowledgeable adequately. People do these projects in their free time.

I don't consider losing the domain a dumpster fire. Domains are ephemeral existences on the internet, they come and go. Tossing aside the old domain was planned, the old site was already 301ed for a year, other changes were made as well, analytics from google and bing show basically < 30 hits for that domain compared to the "new" domain. To me, it's not a big deal. :shrug:

That also happened to me, the effect of which is: I drive a car that is in half owned by a dead person and can’t be sold, new plates can’t be acquired, insurance companies are unhappy and so on.

This is not a problem in usual US law, either the surviving member has rights of survivorship (spousal or other forms) which is an automatic transfer to full ownership, or it has to be resolved through probate of the dead person's estate, however, not a unsolvable issue, just delays.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 10:22:09 pm by delfinom »

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 11:18:41 pm »
This costs a lawyer, lawyers are not free or cheap or in many cases, even knowledgeable adequately. People do these projects in their free time.
It costs nothing. I don’t see, how a lawyer would be involved.

This is not a problem in usual US law, either the surviving member has rights of survivorship (spousal or other forms) which is an automatic transfer to full ownership, or it has to be resolved through probate of the dead person's estate, however, not a unsolvable issue, just delays.
Have I said there is no rightful heir in this case? This doesn’t make things any simpler; quite opposite, as it adds three more people to the equation in which they should’ve never appear.

It’s also not important here: I gave it only as an example of a similar situation occuring elsewhere.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 12:00:19 am »
When the Cleveland Browns football team was sold and moved to Baltimore, someone apparently forget to buy the name too.  Thus, we now have the Baltimore Ravens and still have a team called the Cleveland Browns in Cleveland, Ohio.

Off-topic, of course, but when the team was sold, a condition of the sale was that Cleveland retained the rights to use the name "Browns" should another team relocate to, or the league allow an expansion team, in their city. And that's what happened -- there is now a new team in Cleveland called The Browns. As part of that deal, all of the "history" (stats, etc) remained in Cleveland. The team that moved to Baltimore was essentially an expansion.

The motto of the Baltimore Ravens team is "Nevermore." I guess they wanted a bird to complement the baseball team, the Orioles.

Of course the reason there's a Baltimore Ravens team is that the Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis.

it's all kinda stupid.

Offline eelik

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 01:57:20 pm »
In a recent developer mailing list post the current project leader Wayne Stambaugh admitted that
Dick is correct.  I dropped the ball on this after our last email as it
just fell off of my radar with everything that is going on.  Mea culpa.

So, saying that D.H refused is not the whole truth, although what he did doesn't seem to be fair, either.  (What Seth originally wrote in the KiCad forum is still technically true; they "attempted unsuccessfully".)

Please, edit your posts above if they have personal attacks.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:12:27 pm by eelik »

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 01:12:49 am »
In a recent developer mailing list post the current project leader Wayne Stambaugh admitted that

So, saying that D.H refused is not the whole truth, although what he did doesn't seem to be fair, either.  (What Seth originally wrote in the KiCad forum is still technically true; they "attempted unsuccessfully".)

Yea Dick can eat a dick. The cunt could have followed up knowing the importance and having any semblance of professionalism where follow ups are normal in working relationships.

No surprise, there is now a old copy of the website at kicad-pcb.org and look at that, the signature verification guide was already deleted. I wonder how long until the malware infected downloads are added

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 04:15:51 am »

And yet Dick still decided to just up and sell the historical domain of a prominent project to an unknown party for an undisclosed sum, almost certainly knowing full well the likelihood of abuse. At a shocking $10-15 a year, it's not as if he was being placed in financial dire straits.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 06:08:49 pm »
Monkeh: you are quick to judge people’s moral conduct. But if you do… where is your source of information that it was Hollenbeck that sold the domain?

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 11:58:11 pm »
Monkeh: you are quick to judge people’s moral conduct. But if you do… where is your source of information that it was Hollenbeck that sold the domain?

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg45358.html (which he posted after he sold .org without infomring anyone)

Dick was the only one with access anyway, he refused to share. Good riddance of the scumbag.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:11:45 am by delfinom »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 12:37:49 am »

He owned and controlled the domain, who do you think sold it?

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
Re: Avoid-the-former-kicad-domain
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 09:08:15 pm »
I just reported this thread:

A request for this topic to be pinned to the top of the KiCad section, and with a stronger title. https://www.kicad.org/blog/2021/10/Avoid-links-to-former-kicad-domain/

@Anthocyanina
Can you change the title into something stronger like:  Avoid-the-former-kicad-domain

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 01:02:25 am »
From what I understand, it was his employer that owned it. I may be missing some information, but that’s how the official blog entry presents the situation.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 01:05:02 am by golden_labels »

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 03:43:08 am »
From what I understand, it was his employer that owned it. I may be missing some information, but that’s how the official blog entry presents the situation.

Dick is his own employer. he claims to be President, CTO and founder so....you know who is calling the shots.

Source: http://www.softplc.com/company/info/about/

The blog post attempts to be nice, but this ain't a blog post so I'm being mean.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:47:11 am by delfinom »

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 05:14:23 am »
I am aware of that. Two of those positions (CTO, founder) are not relevant. Third indicates he’s in charge of running the business, which is not the same as being the owner of company’s assets.

Of course there may be something I don’t know about the situation, but you and Monkeh do. But, based on the information available, what I see is mob-style bashing in a situation, where his role in the whole situation can’t even be determined.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:18:44 am by golden_labels »

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 03:35:36 pm »
I am aware of that. Two of those positions (CTO, founder) are not relevant. Third indicates he’s in charge of running the business, which is not the same as being the owner of company’s assets.

You are really going out of your way to defend him for some reason. A "President and CTO" have plenty of power in decision making of the business including it's assets. Do you seriously think a owner gets involved with every micromanagement decision? Dear lord that would be an ineffective business.

Also, I would have to do some digging of corporate records from a data broker. But I'm pretty sure he is the indirect owner and is simply playing government contracting bonus points for selection games ;) This is 100% normal in the US.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:38:36 pm by delfinom »

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Re: Avoid-the-former-kicad-domain
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 05:46:18 am »
I just reported this thread:

A request for this topic to be pinned to the top of the KiCad section, and with a stronger title. https://www.kicad.org/blog/2021/10/Avoid-links-to-former-kicad-domain/

@Anthocyanina
Can you change the title into something stronger like:  Avoid-the-former-kicad-domain

Oh, i haven't visited this section in a while, updated thread name!

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: Kicad domain changes to kicad.org ~~Avoid links to the previous domain!~~
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 06:00:03 am »
And please mention that former domain name in the title as well.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 05:34:15 am »
I just did a search for the old domain name on this forum and there are over 100 posts with links to that *&^%$#@!.

I'm not sure if a global "search and replace" by someone with rights to do so would be a good way to "fix" this.

As an alternative I can spend an hour or 2 to send a PM to all posters with links to that *&^%$#@! name with a request to change it.

Does anyone have a better idea maybe?

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 10:33:33 am »
I just did a search for the old domain name on this forum and there are over 100 posts with links to that *&^%$#@!.

I'm not sure if a global "search and replace" by someone with rights to do so would be a good way to "fix" this.

As an alternative I can spend an hour or 2 to send a PM to all posters with links to that *&^%$#@! name with a request to change it.

Does anyone have a better idea maybe?

This forum is like vast majority a PHP engine over some SQL

Indeed you probably can not just "replace" unless using SQL

like any other forum there should be a similarity   .. likewise .. this one
Code: [Select]

$someFunc ['db_query']('', '

UPDATE {db_prefix}settings
SET variable = {string:URL}
WHERE variable = {string:deprecated_URL}',
array(
'deprecated_URL' => $deprecated_URL,
'URL' => $URL,