Author Topic: KiCAD footprints and 3d models  (Read 3912 times)

Offline VEGETATopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
KiCAD footprints and 3d models
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:28:18 pm »
Dear friends,

I have a design with through hole components, but I am confused about which footprints to use for resistors, ceramic caps, and elec. caps.

There is the 5mm between each leg and there is more or less. I want to ask which one do you use?

Also, I have a DC jack on board but I didn't find a suitable 3d model for it. I used the footprint in library but there is no 3d model for it.

I will keep you updated if I have another problem of other footprints.

thanks!

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: KiCAD footprints and 3d models
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:24:14 am »
Also, I have a DC jack on board but I didn't find a suitable 3d model for it. I used the footprint in library but there is no 3d model for it.

I thought that most of the footprints in the official Kicad libraries had 3D models. I could be wrong.

So, since there are about 8 million or so different flavors of DC jack, it's helpful if you tell us which specific jack you are using. And you can check that jack's manufacturer web site, as many vendors now publish 3D models of their parts.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:06:12 pm »
This is my board until now, it is complete but without routing. See the jack at top left there, I have a general Chinese one, no name brand.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »
I don't bother with the 3D models. I played around with them in the early days but quickly found it to be a waste of time. If I can't find a good match for the part I want right off I just create it myself off the datasheet, perfect result almost every time.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 04:06:45 pm »
I think some of the old libraries had 3D model but it didn't make it to the new version.  You can check there if it is really that important to you and you have the time to burn I guess.

Offline G0MJW

• Regular Contributor
  • Mike
    • G0MJW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:37:25 pm »
I had the same problem. In the end I downloaded a CAD model from a CAD website. These are very common and there was one in the older version so it is surprising someone thought it a good idea to delete it. Presumably because it wasn't up to scratch but to leave users with nothing is not really all that helpful either.

Mike

Mike

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:04:39 am »
I had the same problem. In the end I downloaded a CAD model from a CAD website. These are very common and there was one in the older version so it is surprising someone thought it a good idea to delete it. Presumably because it wasn't up to scratch but to leave users with nothing is not really all that helpful either.

Mike

This looks great, please share the link if possible.

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 10:16:22 am »
I found also that ceramic capacitors footprints differ. I need 100pF but it is only available in 5mm lead spacing package from lcsc, thus I would need to adjust it. Which will result in adjusting other ceramic caps such as 10nF and 100nF.

I thought of leaving the footprint at 2.54mm as it is then bend the leads a bit, but I thought it would be ugly. What do you guys think?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf