Electronics > KiCad

Kicad - GUI is Horrific!

(1/29) > >>

Docara:
Now I will admit I am a complete novice using Kicad. I will also acknowledge I haven't read all the documentation I should have done. But my God the interface of Kicad is F***ing HORRIFIC!!!! Why can't I have multiple schematics in a project - I have one project with a requirement of 4 PCBs. Why can I have multiple sheets without 'hierarchy'. Why can't I import a schematic into an empty Project (because I accidently loaded Eeschema independently). WHY is the F***ing cursor permanently snapping on the screen so annoying...The list goes on!!

By way of making a point before I get a right royal kicking from the Kicad fan boys. I loaded up Circuitmaker and proceeded to try and enter the same circuit as I was trying to do previously. After struggling with the daft component selection system (Kicad does this way better) within a couple of minutes I had tens of components placed and wired up with nice intuitive right click mouse clicks a appropriate. What an out and out pleasurable experience. It is such a shame I now have to go back a trawl through Kicad's documentation to figure out how to use it.

I this day and age we should not have to sit on the bog with a tablet reading software's instruction manuals. SOO lets think about this laterally, you have loaded up a word processor. Would you expect to have to read the instructions before you work out how to type 'words' in - NO.

If Kicad developers want to make a HUGE difference to their users lives the ought to take a leaf out of CM/Altiums user interface. With what Kicad can do it would quickly become the go to PCB package. You know I would pay for Kicad if the paid option was for a useable interace.

Raant Over
Doc

Bud:
You are going to get standard replies that what you want does not matter.

sethhillbrand:

--- Quote from: Docara on October 04, 2018, 06:44:53 pm ---You know I would pay for Kicad if the paid option was for a useable interace.

--- End quote ---

OK.

https://giving.web.cern.ch/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=6

james_s:
It does have a horrific UI. So does every other professional level EDA I've tried. It's the price
of a tool being powerful and flexible, not to mention free. Read the documentation and/or watch some tutorials, many of the things you complain about can be fixed or worked around. If there are specific things that you find are broken, you can file a bug report. In the end though it's a bit like a 5 axis CNC machine or a commercial airliner, they are not easy for a beginner to just sit down and use because they are complex machines intended to be used by trained operators.

KiCad is like any other EDA. You learn to use it and work around the warts. It will never be a polished iOS app.

donotdespisethesnake:

--- Quote from: Docara on October 04, 2018, 06:44:53 pm ---I loaded up Circuitmaker and proceeded to try and enter the same circuit as I was trying to do previously. After struggling with the daft component selection system (Kicad does this way better) within a couple of minutes I had tens of components placed and wired up with nice intuitive right click mouse clicks a appropriate. What an out and out pleasurable experience. It is such a shame I now have to go back a trawl through Kicad's documentation to figure out how to use it.

--- End quote ---

No one is forcing you to use KiCad, so use Circuitmaker?  I don't see the problem.  :-//

It's funny how entitled people get when you give them free stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version