Author Topic: KiCAD lock component  (Read 4813 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
KiCAD lock component
« on: June 13, 2020, 12:05:54 pm »
Hi all,

A quick question, is is possible for me to lock a component AND make sure it doesn't get selected with M, E or drag? When you lock a component in Altium, you will not be able to select it unless you double click on it.
With KiCAD, is there a similar function? I ask this because I have some spacers and EMI shields as well as some other large, hollowed footprints that I intend to place other parts inside, and I don't want to accidentally select the shields all the time.

I know I can break it down to multiple smaller parts, but I'd rather have an elegant solution.

Regards,

B.G.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Re: KiCAD lock component
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:31:42 pm »
Once you lock a component you won't be able to move it, but it will be selected.
After the selection is made, right click mouse->Selection-> Filter->Filter locked components, that will get rid of the locked components in a large selection.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, poeschlr

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 09:52:55 am »
The thin lines show the DRC clearances. If you try to route an unrelated track closer than that, it won't let you (the track will stop at that line) and if you place a pad or via there, the DRC check will complain.

I don't think you can turn that off.

EDIT: You can. In the PCB editor, go to menu Preferences->Preferences->PCBNew->Display Options and uncheck "Show pad clearance".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:04:32 am by janoc »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 09:57:37 am »
That is the pad clearance, it can be changed globally in the board setup, and will show error if you run the DRC.

It's view can be disabled in Preferences

If you know what you are doing you can set it to 0 instead of disabling the view.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:01:23 am by MasterTech »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 10:05:46 am »
If you know what you are doing you can set it to 0 instead of disabling the view.

That's a terrible idea because that will completely neuter the DRC checker. On a larger/complex board this is a pretty good way to shoot yourself in the foot. It makes also the interactive autorouter much harder/impossible to use because it relies on these clearances when finding where to place the track.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:08:04 am by janoc »

The following users thanked this post: poeschlr

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 10:15:58 am »
That's a terrible idea because that will completely neuter the DRC checker.

It is a bad idea unless this is exactly what you want, I've certainly needed this, and as I said only *if you know what you're doing*.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 05:24:57 pm »
That's a terrible idea because that will completely neuter the DRC checker.

It is a bad idea unless this is exactly what you want, I've certainly needed this, and as I said only *if you know what you're doing*.

Which, given that Blueskull is obviously only trying to figure out what that feature in KiCAD does, doesn't apply. Even though I have no doubt that he knows how DRC works and what is the clearance itself for.

Giving out an advice that applies only in an extremely specific situation (and otherwise it could be outright harmful) when someone asks for help with something they aren't familiar with is not great, IMO. I am not worried about Blueskull shooting himself in the foot with this - but this post will get indexed by Google too and some less experienced newbie will sooner or later find it too.

BTW, if you need to disable DRC for whatever reason, a much simpler way is to click the "crossed bug" icon (first from the top of the left side toolbar) and turn online DRC checking off. A much better way than to mess with the clearance settings - you may still need them later.

The following users thanked this post: poeschlr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf