Author Topic: KiCad's new website.  (Read 11348 times)

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
KiCad's new website.
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:02 pm »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:35:15 pm by firewalker »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: KiCad's new website.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:58:54 pm »
The fonts look like crap on that website. Hint: use fonts which also look good when anti-aliasing is off. For many people anti-aliasing causes fatique when using a computer screen (and many don't even know why they go home everyday with a splitting headache). People who have a worse case of astigmatism (like me) can't use anti-aliased fonts or lines at all. About 30% of the people have some form of astigmatism!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:11:10 pm »
Can't you set your browser to use a specific font you like?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline kingofkya

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:00 pm »
Looks great. :) The color adjusting bar at the top is a nice touch

The new 3d stuff is awesome not just get that stable realses done:)

My attempts at a board

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:03 pm »
The fonts look like crap on that website. Hint: use fonts which also look good when anti-aliasing is off. For many people anti-aliasing causes fatique when using a computer screen (and many don't even know why they go home everyday with a splitting headache). People who have a worse case of astigmatism (like me) can't use anti-aliased fonts or lines at all. About 30% of the people have some form of astigmatism!

Angry much? :o

I have heavy astigmatism to the point, where they don't make contact lenses for me any more. I spend at least five hours every day in front of a computer screen. Can't say I share your experience. Sure it's nothing else?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:10:49 am by con-f-use »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:59 pm »
astigmatism problems with anti aliasing?
Never heard that in my life and good thing because i've been astigmatic all my life and never had any problems with anti aliasing. Maybe you need a new prescription or actually wear glasses :)

BTW no idea how to turn antialiasing off on Firefox or Chrome and it doesn't look like that at all.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 09:00:24 pm »
Looks good to me and I am amblyopic.

The last time I tried KiCad I found the interface confusing to say the least. Like when I learned how to cut and copy and move objects around in schema, I found it all totally different in layout.

Not knocking it. I'll download and give it a try.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »
Even compared to a month ago, the most recent build seems to have a lot of small fixes implemented  :-+ It feels much more complete.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 12:38:11 am »
astigmatism problems with anti aliasing?
Never heard that in my life and good thing because i've been astigmatic all my life and never had any problems with anti aliasing. Maybe you need a new prescription or actually wear glasses :)
My glasses are brand new but I just can't focus on blurred text and certain patterns (I'm not the only one). LCD monitors have been a real blessing to me because of their sharp image but since a few years graphics designers have decided everything needs to be blurred like we are still using a crappy CRT monitor. :palm: I can't even use some software because the blurred text can't be disabled. It's becoming a bit of an uphill battle and I'm still a couple of decades away from retirement so yes I have to speak up.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:48:01 am »
Maybe it's because I'm on Windows or that when I see double is up/down so I have a vertical focus problem, I think.

But with my glasses it's all corrected and since it's been more than 10 years from when my vision started to decay (at 40) I think it's stable and have not had to change my prescription for a while.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:10 pm »
My glasses are brand new but I just can't focus on blurred text and certain patterns (I'm not the only one).

Measure the distance between your face and your monitors, and have the eye doctor give you a prescription based on that distance. The optometrists even call this prescription "computer glasses."

I wear standard bifocals, which are great for reading and great for distance and driving and such, but they're problematic at the 30" working distance, hence the computer glasses. And they work GREAT. OK, so I have to swap back to the regular glasses when I need to put a 'scope probe on a pin, but you can't win them all.

Sure, you could get a set of trifocals which include a distance part, a middle section focused for the monitors, and the bottom part for reading, but they're frightfully expensive. The two pairs, one bifocal, one for computer distance, ends up being cheaper.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »
The optometrists even call this prescription "computer glasses."

Also, your employer may pay the bill for these at best, or they are tax deductible at least.  :-+ Same applies to annual eye tests.  :-+

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »
My glasses are brand new but I just can't focus on blurred text and certain patterns (I'm not the only one).
Measure the distance between your face and your monitors, and have the eye doctor give you a prescription based on that distance. The optometrists even call this prescription "computer glasses."
I'm not that old so getting things in focus nearby isn't the problem. I have no problem soldering a hair-like wire onto a TQFP pin without an extra magnifier.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 08:42:06 pm »
I'm not that old so getting things in focus nearby isn't the problem. I have no problem soldering a hair-like wire onto a TQFP pin without an extra magnifier.
Soldering a wire up close is not the same as focusing on a screen 30" away! Human vision is very weird like that.

Offline kingofkya

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
All i have to say

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 09:34:27 pm »
Soldering a wire up close is not the same as focusing on a screen 30" away! Human vision is very weird like that.

indeed, I'm nearsighted so I need glasses to look at the screen, but when soldering up close I tend to look under my glasses or take them off

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 10:35:11 pm »
My glasses are brand new but I just can't focus on blurred text and certain patterns (I'm not the only one). LCD monitors have been a real blessing to me because of their sharp image but since a few years graphics designers have decided everything needs to be blurred like we are still using a crappy CRT monitor. :palm: I can't even use some software because the blurred text can't be disabled. It's becoming a bit of an uphill battle and I'm still a couple of decades away from retirement so yes I have to speak up.
I'm not an expert, but I do recall that the whole anti-aliased fonts thing only works on the likes of LCD's, not CRT's. Good CRT's are sharp without it. Of course you should be running the LCD in it's native high resolution, otherwise its interpolated crap. Are you sure you are running your LCD in the correct mode?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »
I'm not an expert, but I do recall that the whole anti-aliased fonts thing only works on the likes of LCD's, not CRT's. Good CRT's are sharp without it. Of course you should be running the LCD in it's native high resolution, otherwise its interpolated crap. Are you sure you are running your LCD in the correct mode?
Ofcourse! It's the anti-aliasing (a.k.a. cleartype) which blurs the edges of letters.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 10:58:59 pm »
firewalker:  :-+
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 12:52:03 am »

You can probably fix it yourself pretty easily using a plugin like this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/stylish/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf