Author Topic: kicad on osx  (Read 12739 times)

Offline CodeDogTopic starter

• Contributor
  • cave canem
kicad on osx
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:07:36 am »
Hi all, is anyone running kicad successfully under mac os? If so, can you help me with the required directory structure?

i.e. what directory structures are needed in /Library/Application Support/kicad and /Applications/kicad ?
and which files belong in which subdir?

cheers,
Mark

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
Re: kicad on osx
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:12 am »
I installed it last year from a guy called brokentoaster, who makes Mac builds. I think I had to get the library files separately.

It was unusable. Dragging and dropping was laggy, to the point where the graphic of the object you were moving became invisible. It may be better now, but it is highly experimental. Use the Linux version under VirtualBox if you are intending to use KiCAD for actual projects.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:30:32 am »
http://interactive-matter.eu/2011/12/installing-kicad-on-mac-os-x/

It is "experimental" so running the windows version in an Windows virtual machine will probably still work much better.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:43 am »
When I tried it it seemed unable to recognize mouse movements until the pointer left the window (some sort of event handling bug?)  Unusable. :-(

they should flush native OSX-ness and get it working under X11 on MacOS; that should be pretty much the same as linux, which would be a fine start!

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:57 am »
You can probably already do that under Wine.

Native OS X is preferable if (when) they get it working.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:10:04 am »
When I tried it it seemed unable to recognize mouse movements until the pointer left the window (some sort of event handling bug?)  Unusable. :-(

they should flush native OSX-ness and get it working under X11 on MacOS; that should be pretty much the same as linux, which would be a fine start!

Which would in turn introduce new problems when Mountain Lion hits the street, that is supposedly dropping X11 from the standard OSX distribution.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »

Which would in turn introduce new problems when Mountain Lion hits the street, that is supposedly dropping X11 from the standard OSX distribution.

You can still install it if some program requires it. When you do a clean OS X install (much more unfrequent than doing so with Windows) X11 is not selected by default. In fact, an installer for X11 used to come in the installation DVD.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:00 pm »

You can still install it if some program requires it. When you do a clean OS X install (much more unfrequent than doing so with Windows) X11 is not selected by default. In fact, an installer for X11 used to come in the installation DVD.

Well, yes, I know.  But the way I understood it is that X11 is no longer on the Mountain Lion install DVD.  So you would have to ftp it from the Net.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »
>> X11 is no longer on the Mountain Lion install DVD.
X11 has a somewhat rocky history in OSX.  Originally, you had to download it.  Then it was included.  Now (Snow Leopard, Lion) there's an X11 on the DVD, but it's not the preferred/maintained version (you should download XQuartz instead.)  I guess in MLion, things have gone full circle...

Offline updatelee

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:11:56 am »
Ive had better luck with XQuartz as well. been using it for quite some time now.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:04 am »
I hope somebody ports X11 to Mountain Lion. Apple should hide X11 for Mountain Lion deep in a dark corner of their website, for the people who absolutely need it.

On the other hand, if they decide to behave like they use to and totally remove X11, that would force developers to do good quality ports and adding features like panning/zooming gestures. Eagle included these on version 6, and I really like it. I wish all computers and CAD programs had this.

Offline Agent24

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:58 am »
http://www.shaneburrell.com/?p=906

Not sure if it works

To install first install homebrew if you haven't already:

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)"
Then tap the KICAD homebrew script to build.

brew tap shaneburrell/homebrew-kicad
brew install kicad
To update/upgrade to the latest KICAD as often as you like.

brew update
brew upgrade

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 10:05:23 pm »
Hi all, is anyone running kicad successfully under mac os? If so, can you help me with the required directory structure?

i.e. what directory structures are needed in /Library/Application Support/kicad and /Applications/kicad ?
and which files belong in which subdir?

cheers,
Mark

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf