Author Topic: KiCad price increase!!!  (Read 1406 times)

Offline JohnGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l, hpw

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: KiCad price increase!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 02:30:35 am »
Happy April fool's! :-DD

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 02:42:35 am »
Obviously, inflation touches everything. Even software. While we used to write in 1s and 0s, these days, we are forced to develop KiCad using 2s and 3s instead. Note that this represents average inflation of over 200%. We are fortunate that the bean counters at KiCad corporate were able to maintain the overall price increase at just 50%!

if you are going to use 2's and 3's, I think there are more symbols that are available in some math system, somewhere.

sumerians used base 60.  lets try that for computers.  works well for telling time.

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 03:19:17 am »
Omg, 200% increase of $0. So bad!  :)
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 03:25:59 am »
That’s very unfair. They are forcing me to download two copies now! Otherwise I would have to pay half a zero, which is not possible. I demand a refund on all copies I downloaded so far. :(
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 05:11:37 am »
Note, beyond the joke, how they take advantage of it to point the absurdity of many businesses coming up with actually the exact same kind of rationale to increase their prices by outrageous percentages.

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 06:26:49 pm »
Read it and weep :palm:

https://www.kicad.org/blog/2024/04/KiCads-Historic-Price-Increase-A-Leap-into-the-Future/

John

Beside of this joke... would rather subscribe with an amount, the charge back of a better SW with bug fixes as son as possible, currently moved to next releases  :palm: :palm:. In other words to get more professional workman's bounded to the project.

This means for me, a value cost something .. :-+

Online Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 09:16:25 pm »

... would rather subscribe with an amount, the charge back of a better SW with bug fixes as son as possible, ...

Commercial support for KiCad has been available for several years now via https://www.kipro-pcb.com/

Offline JohnGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 03:12:47 pm »

... would rather subscribe with an amount, the charge back of a better SW with bug fixes as son as possible, ...

Commercial support for KiCad has been available for several years now via https://www.kipro-pcb.com/

My employer currently pays (a lot!) for multiple seats of a popular commercial PCB package. It generally works ok, and does have a few features that KiCad does not yet have. However, in our experience, that does not result in bugs fixed as soon as possible, or at all. In some cases, we are told they are not bugs. In fact, our customer experience has been for the most part very poor. It is clear that the primary goal is to extract more money, as our experience has been that in interacting with the vendor, much more time is spent playing shell games with licensing options than improving the software. In the meantime, improvements in the software have been incremental.

KiCad, on the other hand, shows a much higher rate of improvement over the last several years. Also, the cost of professional support is much lower than our current fully commercial PCB package.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 05:26:02 pm »

Yes, this sounds as the current wait to get rid of pittas.... currently there is a hug bunch to fix   :palm: :palm:

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 08:38:04 pm »
Excellent!  But they really should have mimicked Altium correspondence...

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 02:32:28 pm »
Excellent!  But they really should have mimicked Altium correspondence...

Gotta throwaway your dignity to go that low

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf