Author Topic: Libraries for Kicad - Resources  (Read 107427 times)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: Libraries for Kicad - Resources
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:51 am »
I bet it is a false positive due the no-ip.org part of the address.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2016, 02:57:44 pm »
I did download all of these libraries and footprints July last year ('15), I didn't bother with the 3D models as I only use 3D to look at the bare board.

If it would help I can upload them as a single ZIP to a file sharing site for people to download?

Or, if you PM me your private email I can send the zip file direct to your email (2.7MB)

Thanks for the offer but I can't suggest a suitable file sharing site. I agree with Alexander that it's very likely a false positive and will ignore the warning but if it doesn't work I might take you up on the offer!

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »
I have them uploaded to Mega, mainly so I could download them on other machines without having to run my script, so if you want the Mega link just shout!

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 05:54:49 pm »
I have them uploaded to Mega, mainly so I could download them on other machines without having to run my script, so if you want the Mega link just shout!

OK. YES PLEASE!  (You did say shout!). It looks like that will be easier than working round my ISP blocking.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:59:22 pm by splin »

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:42 am »
Ok, i'll PM you the link as I don't know what the rules are (and i'm too lazy to look them up) regarding posting file sharing links.

The following users thanked this post: splin

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »
Ok, i'll PM you the link as I don't know what the rules are (and i'm too lazy to look them up) regarding posting file sharing links.

Thanks, much appreciated.

So the question now is how to organise the libraries. I'm just starting with KICAD (and PCB layout) and it would help if there are any tutorials or resources the someone could point me to. There are a of lot of youtube tutorials and it would take ages to go through them and it doesn't help that those I have looked at don't usually state which version of KICAD is being used.

It seems there are a number of opinions on how to manage libraries, some suggest creating everything yourself, others say you should copy anything you use into your own libraries whilst others are happy to use existing libraries, copying some parts into private libraries as needed.

It doesn't look like the UI allows libraries to be organised hierarchically such as discrete/capacitors/electrolytic and digital/microcontrollers/STM/STM32F3 etc. Is this possible or is it likely to be added in a future release?

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2016, 09:05:54 pm »
I think someone created a library manager for KiCad, can't recall though.

I tend to copy everything into a projects' library, I have a "master" library of proven footprints, including KiCad's own, I don't put anything in there until i've tested it and tried it in the real world.

KiCad will create a cache of the components used in the project.

That's the way I do it anyways!

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »
I think someone created a library manager for KiCad, can't recall though.

I tend to copy everything into a projects' library, I have a "master" library of proven footprints, including KiCad's own, I don't put anything in there until i've tested it and tried it in the real world.

KiCad will create a cache of the components used in the project.

That's the way I do it anyways!

That sounds sensible - I guess it means that when you give your project to someone, or come back to it later, they get the exact symbols and footprints you used originally.

I found a KICAD roadmap which appears to address my question about hierarchical libraries:

http://kicad-source-mirror.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Documentation/development/road-map-r5/#v5_re_search_control

Component Library Editor Usability Improvements ## {#v5_lib_editor_usability}

Goal:

Make editing schematic symbol libraries easier to manage.

Task: - Determine usability improvements in the library editor for components with multiple units and/or alternate graphical representations. - Replace current library/symbols selection process with new hybrid tree search widget in new window pain for selection libraries and symbols. Provide drag and drop symbol copy/move between libraries. - Allow editing of symbol libraries not defined in footprint library table(s) using the file/path dialog to open a library.

At least I assume that means you will be able to organise your libraries into multiple levels. I'm surprised I haven't seen more (or indeed any) complaints (so far) about only having one level as it can make it very to find anything. I guess with experience you get to know where all the common parts that you use are.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »
Yes, that coupled with the search.

As I said, I tend to make a project library that has everything in for the project, that way it doesn't matter what libraries change / get installed on my machine I will always have what is required for that project, should anyone else take the baton.

So I guess I don't really notice the issues as much.

The following users thanked this post: Bukurat

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing library information. This is really helpful and saved my time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf