Electronics > KiCad

Find out all paths between two nets

<< < (6/6)

2N3055:

--- Quote from: max.wwwang on March 12, 2023, 07:10:01 pm ---
--- Quote from: 2N3055 on March 12, 2023, 09:52:15 am ---
--- Quote from: max.wwwang on March 09, 2023, 04:59:50 am ---
What I want is to find out the possible path of signal (not a direct electrical connection, of course!) between two nets. I don't think I misunderstood the term net in this context.

--- End quote ---

I reread this and answer is very easy...

You already have it on screen all the time.

It is called the schematic..
THAT is the purpose of it's existence, to show interconnection of components and allows us to figure out how it works..

The whole knowledge of electronics is about looking at the schematics and figuring out what it does... OR inventing something and making a schematic that does it..
You need to learn and work to be smart and knowledgeable. You can't fake it.

--- End quote ---
This is brilliant. Thanks.

Please don’t use the net highlight function. That’s the purpose of schematics, labels and other convenient facilities. You can figure it all out!

--- End quote ---

Reading this back (and reading the answer by Ebastler, thanks buddy!) i realize it came out cynical.
Sorry for not being more PC.
Let me explain better.

Yes I use highlight NET. It is a great visual aid.
But you want software to analyze (think) for you. It cannot do that. It would be nice, but it cannot.
You can use simulators (I use LtSpice for analog, there are digital simulators too) to help you understand the circuit, I.E. "where signal goes".  What do you mean by signal by the way? It is obvious what a signal is in an amplifier, for instance.. But what is signal in a power supply (current and voltage regulator)? How do you follow the signal in mixed signal design that takes analog input , digitizes it through the ADC, transforms it in DSP and then converts with DAC back to analog output.. What are the possible signal paths there?

And to answer to you, I can, and in fact did, for many years, analyze schematics on paper without any computer help.. This how it was done for many years. We all did. You would use magic markers and "highlight net". Pun intended.
So yeah, I can understand "where signal goes" just by looking into schematics... Also can cursory look at the board and quickly analyze what basic blocks are and general block diagram.

Having intuition of how something works from schematics is a skill well worth developing...

That was my point and not trying to be snarky..

max.wwwang:
Thanks for all the good input on the subject (as always!), cynical or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version