Author Topic: Multiple sheet schematic in Kicad?  (Read 12646 times)

Offline opampsmokerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Multiple sheet schematic in Kicad?
« on: October 27, 2020, 08:10:30 pm »
Hi,
I have 4 sheets in my kicad schematic.
Kicad has made a "sub-project" for the three added on sheets.
Is this right?
It feels unwieldy. I presume i have to push each separate  sheet through to PCB?

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
Re: Multiple sheet schematic in Kicad?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 03:33:04 am »
Is each of them describing a separate PCB?

If yes, this is ok — after all you will generate separate netlists, footprint assignments, PCB files, gerbers and probably other files.

If no, you probably want hierarchical sheets. There are a few buttons on the toolbar to create them and the associated labels.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username, opampsmoker

Offline opampsmokerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 07:18:42 am »
Thanks,
Incidentally, is there a way of having multipel sheets in a schematic without having heirarchical sheets?.....i  want to keep the heirarchical sheets for small subcircuits which are repeated often. Though i still want extra sheets which are not heirarchical.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 09:27:14 am »
Does KiCad really still have that limitation that no schematic can span multiple pages without having each individual page as a hierarchical block?

The following users thanked this post: opampsmoker

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 10:13:37 am »
https://docs.kicad-pcb.org/5.0/en/eeschema/eeschema.html#flat-hierarchy
Having that one root schematic is not so much of a hassle. Would be nice to skip it, but adding it is also not a great deal. There are more important things to improve.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:16:08 am »
So, say I'm developing an 8 channel product, in which each channel is 3 pages' worth of circuitry.

In OrCAD, I create a 3 page schematic which contains the circuit for each channel. That schematic uses off-page symbols (or even just common net names) to link the nets within each channel, and hierarchical ports to expose the signals that need to be visible at the top level.

Then, I create a top level schematic which includes 8 identical instances of the per-channel circuit (ie. 8 identical blocks), and joins them to the common power, processor etc.

How would that design be done in KiCad?

Offline MitjaN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 03:50:07 pm »
I agree that lack of support for multipage same level hierarchy in KiCad is somewhat limiting, but we get what we pay for.

If you have multichannel design, you'll probably want to replicate layout (AD rooms, I don't know what is called in OrCad). I'd go this way:
1. create 8 hierarchical sheets in the main (root) sheet to hold the channel schematics. Point each sheet to the same schematics file
2. in each channel sheet create 3 hierarchical subsheets where you split the schematics for one channel. You'll have to link the nets via hierarchical labes and connectors though. Using global labels will not work as you have a multichannel design.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 04:10:04 pm »
As hli has noted above, you can have as many sheets as you want. KiCad is also supporting global labels, which are shared among all sheets. All additional work you have to do is add a single root sheet that will group them all.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 03:22:37 pm »
I agree that lack of support for multipage same level hierarchy in KiCad is somewhat limiting, but we get what we pay for.

I also find that quite limiting. Or at least I used to think that.

The plus side (even if that might not have been the original reason) is that it forces you to design your schematics in a more hirerarchical way (if you use that properly), which IMO (but probably not everyone will agree) is a good thing.

So each "sheet" should be self-contained, and actually more easily reusable (it looks cleaner and better than just copy-and-pasting.)

Now the fact each hierarchical block can't span several "sheets" is still limiting, but here again the plus side is that it forces you to split your design into blocks of reasonable size and thus, more easily manageable and less prone to mistakes.

Of course, YMMV.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf