Author Topic: Renumbering Pages in Version 5  (Read 4198 times)

Offline gnuarmTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Renumbering Pages in Version 5
« on: April 01, 2021, 04:52:13 pm »
I'm working on a group project in KiCAD 5 and when editing the main page it somehow renumbered all the pages.  Since we are working remotely most of our communications uses page numbers for reference.  This creates obvious problems when the page numbers change seemingly randomly.

Google showed me 9 year old conversations that simply show the problem, no solutions.  Did I not use enough Google fu and the answers are there awaiting my discovering them?  Anyone know a simple way to manage/renumber the page numbers?
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

• Super Contributor
Re: Renumbering Pages in Version 5
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:57:57 pm »
I got a reply on the kicad site that 5.99 supports changing page numbers.  But that is not a current main line release.  Anyone know if 5.99 would be file compatible with 5.1.9 which is the current release?  I've asked the same question there.

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 08:32:19 pm »
SembazuruCDE

If I use revision 5.99 will that cause compatibility issues with the rest of the team using 5.1.9?

Simple answer, yes.

5.99 is using a completely new file format for schematics (and symbol libraries) that 5.1.x doesn’t know about. I just read on another thread that there is hope that 5.99 will become v6RC1 out in a month or two (the thread actually placed that date at the end of April, but I’m hedging my bets). Until then, check out this plugin:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 12:54:50 am »
Yeah, I figured out that 5.99 is really the 6.x prerelease copy and a lot is being changed including apparently page numbering. 

So the real question then becomes, I was able to change page numbers by whatver I did when I edited the main sheet and screwed it up.  So there must be a way to fix it using similar manipulations.

If you delete a block from the main schematic page, does it delete the schematic file for that block?  Is there a way to include a schematic file as a block on the main page rather than starting from scratch with a new page?  I'm wondering if changing the page number is as easy as deleting a page and then adding the schematic file back as a new block with a page number at the end of the sequence?

Or maybe I need to copy the block on the main page and delete the original?

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 03:15:41 am »
It does not delete the underlying file - I wish it had the option to do so. If you create a hierarchical sheet, it gives you the option of specifying file name. If the file exists, there is a dialog where you confirm that you want to include the file. All the usual library caveats apply.  I have several building block schematic files that I include in a number of projects that way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 03:17:59 am by phil from seattle »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 04:57:30 am »
Phil, thanks.  Using that info I tried a few things and....

I tried copying the sheet block on the main sheet as well as deleting the block and adding it back.  Deleting the block requires a redo of any formatting of the block when adding it back.  I’m using the blocks to form a diagram, so that is too much work, but it puts the new sheet at the end of the main schematic file and so the last page number.  The copying operation also seems to move the copied sheet to the end of the file and so the last page number.  This preserves the size and other details, so is easier to do.

However, in the end I just copied the sheets in the main sheet file via text editor.  It was just easier.  But at least now I know I must have tried copying a block on the main page which mucked the page order.

The delimiters of the sheets are $Sheet and $EndSheet with only four lines between.  Not remotely hard to do and it doesn’t require touching every block again if you need to put something near the head of the list.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf