Author Topic: Vector fonts  (Read 8769 times)

Offline pidconTopic starter

• Contributor
Vector fonts
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:14:44 pm »
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default PCB layout font to something similar to the vector font found in Protel/Altium? I have always preferred the vector font to the sans serif font on PCBs. 

The following users thanked this post: liteyear

Offline delfinom

• Regular Contributor
Re: Vector fonts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 12:26:18 pm »
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default PCB layout font to something similar to the vector font found in Protel/Altium? I have always preferred the vector font to the sans serif font on PCBs.

Fonts are a nightmare to deal with both to render and later plot to gerbers so there is currently only a single font in KiCad.

Offline pidconTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:20:13 am »

Fonts are a nightmare to deal with both to render and later plot to gerbers so there is currently only a single font in KiCad.

I would have thought the angular form of the vector fonts make it easier to render than sans serif fonts. 

Offline rockola

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:06:40 pm »
I would have thought the angular form of the vector fonts make it easier to render than sans serif fonts.

Do you mean "serif fonts" when you say "vector fonts"? Because the sans serif font used by KiCAD is a vector font. It's not an outline font though.

TrueType/OpenType fonts can be rendered to Gerbers by triangulating the outlines. I'm working on adding outline font support to KiCAD. In the example below, "Chapuza" is in everybody's favorite font, Comic Sans.

The following users thanked this post: nfmax

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 10:34:09 pm »
Vector fonts have been necessary because it was the only way to have a guaranteed outcome in Eagle without designing your board for a specific fab.  I think others have suffered from this too.

Adding support for rendering in the gerbers is fantastic! One of those "why didn't anyone think of that sooner?" things. Kicad 6? Please please please! Though, kicking and screaming before I use Comic Sans.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:31:28 pm by phil from seattle »

Offline rockola

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 07:25:46 am »
Adding support for rendering in the gerbers is fantastic! One of those "why didn't anything think of that sooner?" things. Kicad 6? Please please please! Though, kicking and screaming before I use Comic Sans.

Sorry to disappoint you, but TTF/OTF fonts won't make it to KiCad 6. It's not just about Gerbers, my understanding is they will have to be supported everywhere within KiCad before the patch is even considered for merging.

Offline MitjaN

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:50:11 am »
While I've never had a requirement for custom fonts in layout, anyone requiring it should look into https://forum.kicad.info/t/font-resources/23276. It might solve your needs.

Offline rockola

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 02:17:15 pm »
TrueType/OpenType fonts can be rendered to Gerbers by triangulating the outlines. I'm working on adding outline font support to KiCAD. In the example below, "Chapuza" is in everybody's favorite font, Comic Sans.

And here is the same board come flesh. Comic Sans FTW.

Offline liteyear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 05:39:45 am »
Now changing fonts is easy in KiCad, I have the same question - is it possible to get/use Altium's "Default" font. It's the simple vector font that gets used for a lot of PCB text, with no other name than "Default".

1770521-0

A font only a mother could love...

Offline rockola

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 06:36:58 am »
Ignoring possible license issues, if you can get hold of that font in a standard format (ie. TTF/OTF) it's as easy as installing the font like any other font on your platform. If not, don't get your hopes up; it would involve format conversion and source code hacking at a minimum.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 09:35:42 am »
Now changing fonts is easy in KiCad, I have the same question - is it possible to get/use Altium's "Default" font. It's the simple vector font that gets used for a lot of PCB text, with no other name than "Default".

(Attachment Link)

A font only a mother could love...

Hello my son..

I love the look and feel of KiCad fonts in SCM and PCBs. Times new Roman or Arial in Altium drives me crazy (I use it professionally).

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 06:53:02 pm »

With v7, you now have millions of fonts you can choose from. There should be something you like.
As rockola said, I would suspect licensing issues if you want the exact Altium font.

But I'm glad custom font support has finally been added.

Offline liteyear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 01:58:45 am »
Ignoring possible license issues, if you can get hold of that font in a standard format (ie. TTF/OTF) it's as easy as installing the font like any other font on your platform.

Yep, that was my thinking. I think you've stated it clearer than I managed ;-)

I love the look and feel of KiCad fonts in SCM and PCBs. Times new Roman or Arial in Altium drives me crazy (I use it professionally).

Oh yeah, I don't mind the KiCad font - it rides that fine line between manufacturable and pleasant well. It's the Altium "Default" font that leans a little to the ruthlessly robotic side to my taste. But it certainly is distinct!

With v7, you now have millions of fonts you can choose from. There should be something you like.

Personal preference happens to not be relevant in this case. I was just trying to mimic an existing design. I actually ended up deciding KiCad's default font was close enough! It has that same thin stroke, wide curvature clarity of the Altium Default, so I reckon I can get away with actual arcs, and the occasional asymmetric glyph ;-)

Out of interest, I've attached the equivalent screenshot in KiCad so you can compare.

But I'm glad custom font support has finally been added.

Amen. How good is it? Like it always belonged...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf