Electronics > KiCad

Vector fonts

(1/3) > >>

pidcon:
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default PCB layout font to something similar to the vector font found in Protel/Altium? I have always preferred the vector font to the sans serif font on PCBs. 

delfinom:

--- Quote from: pidcon on July 24, 2020, 12:14:44 pm ---Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default PCB layout font to something similar to the vector font found in Protel/Altium? I have always preferred the vector font to the sans serif font on PCBs.

--- End quote ---

Fonts are a nightmare to deal with both to render and later plot to gerbers so there is currently only a single font in KiCad.

pidcon:

--- Quote from: delfinom on July 24, 2020, 12:26:18 pm ---
--- Quote from: pidcon on July 24, 2020, 12:14:44 pm ---Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default PCB layout font to something similar to the vector font found in Protel/Altium? I have always preferred the vector font to the sans serif font on PCBs.

--- End quote ---

Fonts are a nightmare to deal with both to render and later plot to gerbers so there is currently only a single font in KiCad.

--- End quote ---

I would have thought the angular form of the vector fonts make it easier to render than sans serif fonts. 

rockola:

--- Quote from: pidcon on July 25, 2020, 12:20:13 am ---Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default PCB layout font to something similar to the vector font found in Protel/Altium? I have always preferred the vector font to the sans serif font on PCBs.
I would have thought the angular form of the vector fonts make it easier to render than sans serif fonts.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean "serif fonts" when you say "vector fonts"? Because the sans serif font used by KiCAD is a vector font. It's not an outline font though.

--- Quote from: delfinom on July 24, 2020, 12:26:18 pm ---Fonts are a nightmare to deal with both to render and later plot to gerbers so there is currently only a single font in KiCad.

--- End quote ---

TrueType/OpenType fonts can be rendered to Gerbers by triangulating the outlines. I'm working on adding outline font support to KiCAD. In the example below, "Chapuza" is in everybody's favorite font, Comic Sans.

phil from seattle:
Vector fonts have been necessary because it was the only way to have a guaranteed outcome in Eagle without designing your board for a specific fab.  I think others have suffered from this too.

Adding support for rendering in the gerbers is fantastic! One of those "why didn't anyone think of that sooner?" things. Kicad 6? Please please please! Though, kicking and screaming before I use Comic Sans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version