Author Topic: Air filter systems  (Read 1975 times)

Offline ar__systemsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Air filter systems
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
I'm moving to a new location, and considering options for running reflow oven. In my current place they let me make a hole in the roof and create exhaust, but it appears to be a problem for potential landlords. So i'm thinking using a filtration system instead. It might even be more cost effective and flexible solution. Would like to hear any experiences with such systems, recommendations of particular models and such.

Much appreciated!

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Air filter systems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:45 pm »
Filters mostly remove particles.  But, reflow generates GASES, mostly, and not a lot of particles.  Now, some of those gases may condense once cooled off, and then be filtered.

Jon

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »
And its going to be very warm.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:00:11 am »
Consider an electrostatic precipitator like filter.
It will capture particles and more of the vapors.

There used to be ( and may be still exists ) a Canadian co making panel filters for aircon games.

Let me see if I can dig up their name...

EDIT: They are a US based co. not Canadian...    http://www.cimatec.com/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:13:39 am by IconicPCB »

The following users thanked this post: ar__systems

Offline Smallsmt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:19:20 am »
We use a filter system from PUREX to clean the exhaust of my CO2 laser system.

https://www.purex.co.uk/fume-extraction

The filters are working very well and collect small particles and the activated carbon binds the gases and the smell.

The following users thanked this post: ar__systems

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 12:23:12 pm »
Systems like the Purex or BOFA can scale up to full size reflow ovens.

Offline Nauris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 07:29:06 pm »
I have seen exhaust pipes routed thru windows if there is no better way.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 08:47:15 am »
When i move into our new facility, i'm trying to figure out how to use the exhaust from the reflow ( about 4kW ) to heat the workshop.     In our environment temp often gets to around to 3-6 degrees C, so we need to warm it up a bit in the winter..     Even if you like working in the cold,  The Peel tape on most componetns does'tn.   You need to be running at least 18C for it to peel nicely.  Less than that and it often doe'stn come away cleanly.   Tape not peeling off reels is in my top 5 things that cause me problem.

On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 03:49:47 pm »
When i move into our new facility, i'm trying to figure out how to use the exhaust from the reflow ( about 4kW ) to heat the workshop.     In our environment temp often gets to around to 3-6 degrees C, so we need to warm it up a bit in the winter..     Even if you like working in the cold,  The Peel tape on most componetns does'tn.   You need to be running at least 18C for it to peel nicely.  Less than that and it often doe'stn come away cleanly.   Tape not peeling off reels is in my top 5 things that cause me problem.

Just get a countercurrent air to air heat exchanger, and run the exhaust through that. Common in HVAC as a way to save energy while still having forced air exchange in a well insulated and sealed building, and has all connections available in standard duct size, so connecting is easy. This will at least get the incoming air to around 20C easily with the hot exhaust providing the heat, and so long as you keep the inlet and the exhaust ports separate, and place a HEPA filter on the inlet, exhaust duct higher up with a stack of sorts and a rain hood, it will work. This might require an inline blower on the exhaust air side, as the printer exhaust fan probably will be inadequate to handle the extra load, and a small inline Luft fan will move a lot of air. Add a thermal fire detector in the duct as well, to turn off the blower in case fire breaks out, and also add metal vent shut offs as well for this fire damping.

For the OP, I would suggest the window mount kit for a portable airconditioner will be the best removeable way to exhaust air, as this is meant to fit all sash windows with no problems, and involves no permanent alterations to the structure at all. Plus it is small, and has a duct adaptor already on it, and a mesh insect filter to keep the bugs out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf