Author Topic: Any viable options for low cost FCC and UL certifications?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline rajhlinuxTopic starter

• Contributor
Any viable options for low cost FCC and UL certifications?
« on: August 04, 2021, 08:27:36 pm »
Hello nerds,

Are there any viable options of facilities in the US or China that does valid FCC and UL certification for low cost?

I have a nightlight multi-plug with 6 outlets which I want it to be sold on Amazon.
It has wifi, bluetooth, ESP32 microcontroller, six 120volt 5 amp outlets.

Thanks.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Any viable options for low cost FCC and UL certifications?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 08:58:42 pm »
There were some numbers here but not sure about the company: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fcc-for-low-budget/
China would be cheaper for sure.

But you'd want to be fairly certain your device is going to pass before starting the process.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: rajhlinux

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 11:49:14 pm »
There was a news story a month or two ago about faked compliance reports from a chinese lab that a western manufacturer used.  Lead to a bunch of recalls. Affected several hundred products. I tried to find the story but no luck.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 02:07:46 am »
There were some numbers here but not sure about the company: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fcc-for-low-budget/
China would be cheaper for sure.

But you'd want to be fairly certain your device is going to pass before starting the process.

Yes, not only do I want to make sure the product will pass beforehand... I also want the product to be worthy enough at dave's standards lol.

Is there any professional reliable services who can review the product and it's schematics before testing for a modest fee?

I will use pre-made bluetooth and wifi modules which already have the required FCC certifications.

Any recommendations of text book schematics for building a reliable and safe surge protectors which will definitely pass UL and common FCC part 15?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 02:09:18 am »
 :-DD
There was a news story a month or two ago about faked compliance reports from a chinese lab that a western manufacturer used.  Lead to a bunch of recalls. Affected several hundred products. I tried to find the story but no luck.

Oh god complete nightmares... would like to read that news.

I would obviously try to get the certification at China simply because manufactures are there and its possibly cheaper to get the certs done there, but I will indeed make sure the certs I obtain does indeed matches and corresponds with the UL and FCC database system by contacting UL and FCC for verification of authenticity.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 02:12:57 am by rajhlinux »

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 05:18:20 pm »
Consider the following whom we have met many times at the HK Electronic Fair for the past 15-20 years of travel. They are a strong player in Asia.

We have not used them yet but will be asking for a quote for our pending line of home automation designs.

Also, you may want to contact your local Intertek branch for a quote as many clients are fine with Intertek certfications and will be a lower cost than UL / CUL.

Grace Lai | Sales Engineer
Waltek Testing Group Co., Ltd.
Direct: +86 0757 2381 1398(Exit:8208)
Cell: +86 182 1839 2329(Wechat)
QQ: 1924247644
Fax: +86 0757 2381 1398
Email: sales01@waltek.com.cn
www.waltek.com.cn 

Sample address:

Company name: Waltek Testing Group (Foshan) Co., Ltd

Address: 2/F-03B,2nd Building, Sunlink International Machinery City, Chencun Town, Shunde District, Foshan 528313, Guangdong,China.

寄样地址:
   公司-佛山市沃特测试技术服务有限公司
   地址-广东省佛山市顺德区顺联机械城2座03B2楼沃特

Online 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 02:13:08 am »
Have been using BCTC Labs in Shenzhen for few years for various client product through our PCBA factory partner. Our PCBA factory partner handled most of the conversation and we only prepare what is needed for testing and other documentation requirements. We did quite a number of certification like FCC/CE/RED, RoHS, mechanical test and IP6x test. Prices depends on the certification required. Prices ranging from few hundred USD from simple RoHS test to few thousand for the rest. They are legit as when some test failed, they will suggest improvement steps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf