Author Topic: Autotronik Universal CAD Conversion software  (Read 852 times)

Offline deanclaxtonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Autotronik Universal CAD Conversion software
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:45:37 am »
We are looking at a used Autotronik BA-385V2-V machine and I'm curious about the CAD conversion software. The teach-in capability is probably quite good, but to save time I'd like to be able to export placement data from Altium and pull it in via the conversion software which is an optional extra. I believe the seller of the machine purchased the software with it though and I wouldnt mind having a look at it before purchase but cant find any demos online.

Is anyone here familiar with it? Does it work well? Is it copy protected in any way? I want to ensure that we can get the software with the machine, and that its not been node locked to a specific computer.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
Re: Autotronik Universal CAD Conversion software
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 04:04:13 pm »
We are looking at a used Autotronik BA-385V2-V machine and I'm curious about the CAD conversion software. The teach-in capability is probably quite good, but to save time I'd like to be able to export placement data from Altium and pull it in via the conversion software which is an optional extra. I believe the seller of the machine purchased the software with it though and I wouldnt mind having a look at it before purchase but cant find any demos online.

Is anyone here familiar with it? Does it work well? Is it copy protected in any way? I want to ensure that we can get the software with the machine, and that its not been node locked to a specific computer.
I have had 2 different P&P machines.  For each, I examined sample data import files and then created a conversion program that parsed the CAD/CAM P&P file format and produced the required format for the specific machine.  There are a bunch of details related to origin of coordinate system for both front-side and back-side assembly, rotation of the parts etc.  I use Protel 99SE which is probably pretty similar to the Altium Designer output.
Also, depending on how the component footprint was drawn in CAD, you may have to insert a rotational offset for certain parts.  I create a "component" file that lists the component name (ie. 390R0805 is a 390 Ohm 0805 resistor), feeder number (which my newer P&P machine ignores) and rotation offset.  Then, my converter program reads this file and the placement file from CAD, and matches all the declared components against what is called out in the placement file, and outputs "import" files for the P&P.  This file has designator (like R103) component name , X and Y coordinates and rotation relative to position in tapes.  My old machine just knew feeder locations and which nozzle to use.  The new machine has "optimizer" software, that matches component name with parts in the component library.  The component library knows dimensions of the part for flying vision alignment and which nozzle to use.  It then computes the best order to assemble, taking into account motion time and nozzle change time, and figures out the best sequence.  My machine can pick up 3 parts at a time with 3 different nozzles.  The optimizer can also reassign what parts should be in which feeder slot, but that doesn't really match my workflow, and likely won't save a whole lot of time, anyway.
I can't answer specifcally for the Autotronik as that's not the brand I have.
Jon

The following users thanked this post: deanclaxton

Offline jayx

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 10:54:50 pm »
As far as I know Universal CAD is added for free to each Autotronik machine. I don't think it's protected or locked to a specific computer, but it may not work without the P&P machine conrtol software, I think it access component IDs which are normally created by this software.
It works pretty good, although it doesn't do much, only convert centroid file generated from the PCB design software to a format accepted by the P&P machine conrtol software. So you're not going to learn much by looking at it.

The following users thanked this post: deanclaxton

Offline sarason

• Contributor
    • PCBSynergy
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 03:39:52 am »
If you want this added to PCBSynergy then post me on my email on my webpage.

https://pcbsynergy.com

sarason
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 12:30:24 pm by sarason »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf