Author Topic: axial component prep / insertion  (Read 1689 times)

Offline loki42Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
axial component prep / insertion
« on: March 09, 2023, 10:37:39 pm »
I'm looking to speed up my axial component insertion and prep before soldering. Basically I've got parts (glass diodes) in bags that aren't taped. I want to quickly bend, insert, crimp and cut before selective soldering. Is there a neat lead forming tool that folds the parts without them needing to be taped? I'm planning to use something like the Knipex 36 22 125 for the cutting and bending once they are through the board. Does anyone have a preference between this and the Erem or others? I'm not sure if the squish or bend one is better.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: axial component prep / insertion
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 10:45:35 pm »
For manual use with axial components, I have used jigs such as these:
https://probemaster.com/speedy-bend-resistor-lead-forming-tool/

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 10:50:38 pm »
I've always just used small needle nose pliers.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 10:57:31 pm »
The advantage of the cheap plastic bending jigs is matching the hole spacing on the PCB.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 11:10:23 pm »
I'm looking to speed up my axial component insertion and prep before soldering. Basically I've got parts (glass diodes) in bags that aren't taped. I want to quickly bend, insert, crimp and cut before selective soldering. Is there a neat lead forming tool that folds the parts without them needing to be taped? I'm planning to use something like the Knipex 36 22 125 for the cutting and bending once they are through the board. Does anyone have a preference between this and the Erem or others? I'm not sure if the squish or bend one is better.
Abeco used to make several hand tools that bend and crop the leads for individual axial lead components.

Not sure if these are still available since everyone is using SMD these days.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 11:21:40 pm »
I hold the part up to the board and eyeball where to put the bends, once I get the first one right it's not too hard to get the others. It's a bit fiddly though.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 12:40:31 am »
If youve a load to do maybe something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/325370659210

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 04:17:38 am »
that looks interesting! I was looking at something like : https://www.henchman.com.au/7915-100A/Superform-Axial-Lead-Forming-Machine/pd.php but they require taped components.

Volume isn't super high, it's just one part that is axial and few radial parts which are easy prep wise. About 300-400 per day.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 04:25:03 am »
I 3d printed mine, but keep in mind you need a ESD safe coating or a ESD material when you make these, so you do not zap a diode or damage a cap/resistor. Wirewound and inductors should be OK.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 05:50:39 am »
Make one yourself ...  you could carve a piece of wood so that you have a hole for the diode body and a couple channels for the leads, make the channels bend as the leads would normally bend, at the right spacing. repeat this 10+ times and now all you have to do is put the diodes in the form and press down with something to bend the leds into the shape carved in the wood.

You could get clever and make this out of printed circuit boards ... make a pcb with cutouts for the diode body and for the leads then stack a bunch of these pcbs to get the right height.  Then you can go from above with something that locks the diode body in place and pressed down on the leads through the stack of pcbs.

Could be made easier if you precut the leads .. again, you could get a block of aluminum to someone with a cnc and have that person cut int the aluminum room for body of diode and channels for the leads to the length you want and once you spread the diodes on the aluminum bar and have them in place, you can just go and cut the extra wire with whatever you have.

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2023, 08:35:27 am »
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1475808.pdf

We have these (or a version of them). I'm not sure they speed things up vs accurate use of pliers, but they are consistent and easy to set at your desired width. Mostly stuff comes on belts and goes through the hand cranked machines. In fact these tools get forgotten by the people that would be using them.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2023, 09:59:07 am »
For manual use with axial components, I have used jigs such as these:
https://probemaster.com/speedy-bend-resistor-lead-forming-tool/

Those are what I have been using for decades but they are strictly a manual operation.

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 12:55:05 pm »
Taped axial components are an option.
The very first step a hand cranked machine performs is to cut the component out of the bandolier. there after the leads get bent and the component is dumped into the bin.
So depending on Your preferences you may decide for a fully manual wedge like tool or a hand cranked machine whihc will cut to length and bend into a shape provided you are happy to manually place each component into the pickup position and then crank away.
Do you have a spec on lead deformation your client will tolerate?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 09:30:25 pm »
Taped axial components are an option.
The very first step a hand cranked machine performs is to cut the component out of the bandolier. there after the leads get bent and the component is dumped into the bin.
So depending on Your preferences you may decide for a fully manual wedge like tool or a hand cranked machine whihc will cut to length and bend into a shape provided you are happy to manually place each component into the pickup position and then crank away.
Do you have a spec on lead deformation your client will tolerate?

I am the client.  We don't do assembly for other people.  The parts are only available in bags,  so your saying the hand crank machines could be used by just placing each part in?

Otherwise I guess I could find someone to tape them or a machine to do that if that's the option. 

Auto insertion would be nice but I don't have an axial feeder for my odd form machine and volume is low enough that keeping up with the selective soldering isn't too hard. 

Offline NF6X

• Supporter
    • Mark's Green Pages
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 04:50:10 pm »
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1475808.pdf

We have these (or a version of them). I'm not sure they speed things up vs accurate use of pliers, but they are consistent and easy to set at your desired width. Mostly stuff comes on belts and goes through the hand cranked machines. In fact these tools get forgotten by the people that would be using them.

I've been curious about that kind of handheld automatic lead cutter+former, but they appear to be discontinued. Does anybody else still make that style of tool? About all that I see when I search are variations of the molded plastic manual bending jigs and the hand-cranked machines from China.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf