Author Topic: Cad2Cad Software  (Read 3472 times)

Offline mrpacketheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Cad2Cad Software
« on: January 10, 2017, 04:14:39 am »
Does any one have the Cad2Cad Software by Phillips / Yamaha that creates VIOS text files?  Its archaic.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline technotronix

• Regular Contributor
    • PCB Assembly
Re: Cad2Cad Software
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

Offline mrpacketheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:43:17 am »
Thanks, but already been through all of that, and have'tn come up with anything yet.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 02:13:54 am »
Has anybody managed to get their hands on a copy of the Assembleon CAD2CAD software? It would be good to try it out for generating Yamaha VIOS files from Altium pick and place CSV

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 11:07:58 am »
Yes, we have this software and use it for converting the altium bom to vios for our emerald-x (yamaha yv88x). Let me see how we can collect the file package for you once we return to the office later today. Personally not a pro on using it but our pcb designer is.

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 11:11:51 am »

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 09:54:52 pm »
Great, thanks mon2!

I have evaluated PCBSynergy but have had some difficulties so I'm not totally convinced by it. Hence I'd like to compare with Cad2cad.

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 11:05:33 pm »
Fair enough.

1) Here is the download link for the tool:

https://mega.nz/file/X1NyzDKJ#YvwngYjcCltQ0afPozRwIDTJ7ibKhwdzOLr2zHAcONQ

2) The tool is a bit difficult, in my opinion to use - have voiced our opinion to the factory. They did supply great support to our PCB designer to get us moving. Cannot emphasize how strong their support has been from the factory. We are considering another machine from them in the near future.

3) Attached is a workbook on this tool supplied to us by the factory. I think it will help you.

4) Believe the author for the Synergy tool is in your region. Good guy and we need to connect with him soon to catch up on some ideas. Have a friend in Europe who uses his tool a great deal with KICAD I believe and loves it. We had some rough issues in importing the Altium files the last time we tried so remained with CAD2CAD.

If it helps, can share some of our CAD files - as long as you are not a competitor :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 11:10:14 pm by mon2 »

The following users thanked this post: Mangozac

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 09:01:11 am »
Thanks again Mon2, that's massively helpful!

I've just had a quick play with cad2cad and while old and clunky, I've managed to very quickly get some results with it. From what I can tell thus far it seems like it will quite easily process the data and spit out a nice VIOS text file. This is all we need - further processing and optimisation can be done on the machines themselves.

I've compared VIOS txt outputs from the two tools and they are very similar: the primary differences is that cad2cad is translating to the machine board zero (5mm in from the bottom right corner) and it has the nice visual representation of the component locations and orientations. It's also easy to specify the circuit fiducials in cad2cad. I believe the zero translation doesn't really matter, as the board offset just gets set to suit on the machine.

You're planning to buy a new Assembleon machine? Do they still support this old VIOS format? Is cad2cad still the tool they recommend people use?!

Yes, I have actually spoken with Andrew, the author of PCBSynergy. I was able to get Altium files to work but there were issues with the coordinate system origin, so it's easier to simply use the pick and place CSV file that Altium can generate.

Offline compit

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 05:36:58 pm »
CAD2CAD is old and archaic.
Use PCBSynergy - I use with Topaz X, Emerald X and now with MG1 (files drom Eagle 6xx). How do you ask something.

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 08:52:47 pm »
@compit - you are the one I referenced in point # 4 in my post above :)

Offline Mangozac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 10:25:15 pm »
CAD2CAD is old and archaic.
I don't disagree with you, but it does exactly what we need and fits our workflow nicely. My machine operator much prefers it over PCBSynergy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf