Author Topic: Can a 2010 Manncorp MC385V2 (Autotronik BA385V2) run Windows XP or Windows 7?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline deanclaxtonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The machine shipped in 2010 with Windows 2000 (9 years after the Windows XP release!) - I wonder if anyone knows whether it can be upgraded to a later OS? Later machines (2014 build date) could be upgraded to Windows 7, but I'm unsure if the hardware in the 2010 models is different.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
To say someting here at all, we need as much information
on the computer hardweare being used.
Type of motherbard, processor, RAM, HDD etc.
There are hardware monitoring tools around for windows 2000.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
No idea, however there was presumably a reason it shipped with W2K. In general you should forget about the PCs on these (or any) machines being PCs, they are just controllers. Even windows updates can be risky.

The following users thanked this post: deanclaxton

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
OK. Therefore because the "PC" is so specific, probably only
the manufacturer will be in a position to provide an answer,
you might rely on.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
use hardware id  identifiers  and check if there are drivers for them ... asking things here without details ...

some computers use  isa bus interfacing to the main  machine interface, some use pci interfaces etc ... some may use embedded computers, not normal ones

ask the company  if it still exist,  or you have dedicated  P&P  forums ... i was in one of them  for ols samsung cp30 cp45

normally  i say normally   xp  would have been good to go over an win 2k installation BUT   it may fail if the pnp software is not able to work in Xp, i saw that in the past,  you do have compatibility mode too

just do an hard drive backup or clone, and do and upgrade,   
problems with win 2k  or Xp  are mostly in the device manager,  you have to fiddle a lot to find the vid's and pid's of the hardware, be prepared to search a lot on the web

i would not push w7  in this,  once again   it depends of the computer side ...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:27:47 am by coromonadalix »

Offline MR

• Regular Contributor
The problem I feared with XP hardware for the crap Mechatronika pick and place machine was if the hardware dies driver hunting might be difficult because all the hardware is very old. It's kind of a legit question to upgrade to a newer windows version -- and also evaluate if drivers are available, so in case the PC stops to work replacement can be installed quickly.

I have another case with a similar situation but it's all embedded, we're using an older CNC machine, the controller is from 1999. The controller was EOL'ed in 2004 (the controller itself is OK but a dead end due to EOL). The mechanical part of the machine is in good shape, a similar machine would easily cost 100k$ but the electronics is a problem.
We now slowly start to remove the old controller and retrofit the machine with a new (free) controller.
The question was in case the old controller breaks or causes problems (which it did already, eg. by losing the entire machine configuration), should we spend 1000 - 2000$ for a replacement that was sitting on the shelf for nearly 20 years or take that money + some more investment and put it into a new controller and new servos.
I feel like 1000 - 2000$ thrown after bad things is quite expensive, it's better to invest it into a sustainable solution, if the machine/mechanical part of it has value.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
well i understand you,    but

we have an oven pcb, it costed us 15k $ usd  to upgrade the controller system to a more modern one, and from an pentium era to i5 8 generation,   
but we have tons of issues with the rest, fan blowers, elements etc.. who gotten old  and need repairs ...

was it worth it,    NO

we had  Samsung CP30 and CP45  30 years already,  even bought 2 used ones for 12k$ usd  to extend the life of thoses we had,     the air hoses finally broke down one after the other,  air manufold problems,  loosing many parts in it  ....  the list is too long

was it worth it,      NO once again

we bought brand new system for 250k $  and all the feeders,  for a mere total of half a million to finally get some peace, feeders are darn expensives

at some point you have to decide it's enough,  and miracle(s) dont always happen, even with tons of precautions

take some time to evaluate, and maybe its time to modernize the system,  the problems are if i understand you,  you have only one unit,  no backups ?  this could be problematic  if the upgrades dont go well, you'll losse precious time

thats why  we did some buiseness with pcb assembly for a while,     while upgrading our systems
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 10:08:27 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
Autotronik machines come with a PICMIG back plane with typically two processor slots and four of each PCI and ISA slots. An ADVANTECH 610L industrial computer and a singla board plug in PC card  PCA-6010 card.
The Processor slot houses a single plug in PICMIGG V1.0 processor card.
PCI slots carry vision ( Cognex ), motion and one other card ( sorry cant recall, old age and decrepitude is setting in).

Originally XP based machines carried ISA digita IO card whihc drives expansion feeder interface/trays/ports. Moving to WIN7 ISA card dropped and a PCI replacement installed.

A useful method of moving to WIN7 , as deployed by the factory back in the day was touse Norton Ghost and create two CDs.

One back up computer OS the other computer OS and machine software.

Using Ghost transfer transfer OS onto a new SSD and then collect the required drivers for the new version machine softwareand the new version of machine software and install drivers ( PCI/ISA cards) and then install new machine software.

This assumes You are looking to ONLY upgrade machine software.
Present machine software runs on WIN7 and WIN10.  Latest release of software VER 9.

All  OS and machine software MUST BE 32 bit.

The following users thanked this post: deanclaxton

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf