Author Topic: Carrier tape orientation?  (Read 2539 times)

Offline jesuscfTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Carrier tape orientation?
« on: August 16, 2021, 04:23:51 pm »
Anybody knows what is most often considered zero degrees orientation for carrier tape? a, b, c, or d?

Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Offline Styno

• Regular Contributor
  • TÜV-geprüft
Re: Carrier tape orientation?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 07:21:55 pm »
This question seems ambiguous to me. Do you want to know the tape orientation in the PnP? If so, C is the answer is you assume the machine picks from the top of the picture. If you want to know which quadrant of the pocket is the first then that depend on which ipc standard the supplier is adhering to. For a lot, e.g. passives, 0 degrees is top left quadrant. But I think I’ve seen all quadrants used. Why you ask?

The following users thanked this post: jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 01:49:13 am »
Why you ask?

I am working on a simple/cheap pick and place machine using a Silhouette Curio craft cutting machine.  You can see the working progress here:

Now I am adding part rotation using a micro-servo (attached picture).  I wanted to make sure what is 'zero' rotation for the carrier tape.  I'll just pick (a) for now and modify it later if needed.
Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!

Offline 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 01:57:29 am »
Usually is C. Most footprint library also follows that. In my case, that also coincides with my machine orientation.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 03:49:55 am »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 04:28:55 pm »
Excellent! I'll set zero degrees to option (c).

Offline Matt-Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 12:21:56 pm »
Slightly off topic
Orientation of components in tape and customer pick and palce files are one of my biggest issues.
I have seen pick and place files with a rotation of 360 for resistors, or 180 also. if the part is per ption c (almost always 100% are) and the board is in the same orientation then have 0 in the pacik and place file. Then we get to sit23-3 packages. the center lead is usually (depending on the option of the taping you buy) will have the center lead toward C sprocket holes. Customers pick and place will almost always use pin 1 though ( lower right away from sprocket).

Online SMTech

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:04:54 pm »
Slightly off topic
Orientation of components in tape and customer pick and palce files are one of my biggest issues.
I have seen pick and place files with a rotation of 360 for resistors, or 180 also. if the part is per ption c (almost always 100% are) and the board is in the same orientation then have 0 in the pacik and place file. Then we get to sit23-3 packages. the center lead is usually (depending on the option of the taping you buy) will have the center lead toward C sprocket holes. Customers pick and place will almost always use pin 1 though ( lower right away from sprocket).

Technically the rotation value in the pick and place file should follow the IPC standard for component zero rotations in CAD, these may in some cases align with how they are presented in tape but tape alignment has IIRC two competing standards (yay!). While some machines do link part rotation relative to how it is presented to the machine (which is very annoying), most modern systems instead store two numbers for a given part, for the tape and the placement, relative to the CAD defined zero. By doing it that way, it doesn't make all your files wrong if you switch from tape to a tube for instance which would rotate an SOIC through 90degrees.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf