Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Choosing a Desktop Pick and Place Machine

<< < (24/32) > >>

Friedl.b:
Hi -

My best estimate is that I will use it most likely 2-3 times per week.  Thinking was use feeders for 'standard passives' and maybe regulators I use often and then use IC trays or strip feeders for other components unique to a design.

I understand what you are saying though...  but I am just a little over placing e.g. 20 boards with 400+ components on by hand  :)

Regards, Friedl.

level6:
In that case I think the YY1 would do well. 0603 placement would be no problem at all.

Friedl.b:
Thank you for all the feedback.  My mind is spinning as this would be quite a large investment for me.  As I am a designer first and foremost, investing so much into hardware is 'challenging' :)

Initially I was liking the electronic feeders on the LumenPNP.  At the moment though, the YY1 is selling at $2200 with is only $300 more than the LumenPnP without any feeders.  Some videos and threads with regards to the YY1 mechanical feeders made me weary though, specially due to the lack of local support.

Really appreciate all the feedback!!

Kind Regards,
Friedl.

newto:
We have a YY1, and it works great for our applications. There's a big thread for them with tips, tricks, and headaches that might be a good read if that's what you decide to go with.

The big thing for the YY1 is that changing out reals can be a pain, even more so if it's one near the middle. It's best if you either have a standard set of components for your boards, or only have 1 or two designs that you build and can fit all the components on the machine at once.

We were having boards assembled locally in Canada before, and paying a fortune for it because we only did small runs of 10-20 at a time (I'm pretty sure they were actually assembling them by hand, rather than setting up one of their machines for such a small order), so for us the machine will pay for itself in about 20-40 boards assembled.

It also makes prototyping a lot faster, I have it place all the passives off the reels, and the manually put in anything that wasn't loaded, turning a few hours of work into a few minutes.

Friedl.b:
THANKS!!

Prototyping is what I want it for mostly, with the option to do small runs.  Prototyping for me usually consist of  assembling 5-10 boards for client proving the design and doing some field testing.  We also have local assembly services but same as yours, they are very expensive on small runs making it a non starter for me.  Changing reels seems to be less of a hassle on the Lumen, providing you buy the electronic feeders.  Another benefit of the Lumen is probably (or maybe not) the fact that it runs openPnP??   

Should I buy the YY1 I would follow your approach, keeping 'standard' passives (leds, 10k resistors, 100nF caps etc) near the middle.  Another plus for me would be that I can now increase density on my designs as they will be placed by a robot  ;D

Regards, Friedl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version