Electronics > Manufacturing & Assembly

Choosing a Desktop Pick and Place Machine

<< < (32/32)

newto:

--- Quote from: br on January 29, 2024, 03:38:25 pm ---
The first challenge for everyone interested would be to find a suitable debugger and try to read out your old firmware. I noticed there are some magnetic fields around so you need to play a bit with cables

--- End quote ---

Would removing the main board from the machine before messing with the software help? I can't imagine the cheap stepper drivers and all the other signalling and power going through the same board helps that situation. Definitely a little hesitant to risk a corrupted backup with nothing to compare it to if something goes wrong with the update process. If it was my own machine I'd be much more eager, but I don't want to try to explain to my boss why I broke our expensive hardware playing with it and need to order a new mainboard. And I swear my firmware from September 2022 has fewer bugs (or at least fewer critical bugs) than some of the newer machines people have received, so I wouldn't want to lose this version.

I'm excited to give it a try once you get more of the details up though, I know a lot of people have been interested in getting them to run more reliable software

br:

--- Quote from: newto on January 29, 2024, 06:53:53 pm ---Would removing the main board from the machine before messing with the software help? I can't imagine the cheap stepper drivers and all the other signalling and power going through the same board helps that situation. Definitely a little hesitant to risk a corrupted backup with nothing to compare it to if something goes wrong with the update process. If it was my own machine I'd be much more eager, but I don't want to try to explain to my boss why I broke our expensive hardware playing with it and need to order a new mainboard. And I swear my firmware from September 2022 has fewer bugs (or at least fewer critical bugs) than some of the newer machines people have received, so I wouldn't want to lose this version.

I'm excited to give it a try once you get more of the details up though, I know a lot of people have been interested in getting them to run more reliable software

--- End quote ---

You will need to remove it to solder down 2.54mm header for SWD, but I'd recommend then to put board back and connect a debugger permanently, this gives you a possibility to update firmware any time later. Debuggers are cheap, just leave one there forever.
Also the board has to be powered during firmware update, otherwise stm32 does not receive power.
If you want just to try and have quick access to the back of machine, you can just hold cables with fingers for the backup and update procedure.

Note that you may need like a month or so to dive into OpenPnP as things may not appear straightforward.

(not sure if a dedicated thread is needed for YY1-firmware related discussions?)

glenenglish:

--- Quote from: MR on January 29, 2024, 10:19:10 am ---I could probably write a lot, we outsourced for some time and I saw how Juki / Yamaha assembly lines processed our PCBs...
(truncated)
Chinese lower end are better serviceable with standard parts by yourself I'd say, we have built our own machine in Taiwan (with the background knowledge of the Mechatronika MX80 since we disassembled the machine back then, and used relatively inexpensive parts too), the serviceability is is a big plus and time saver.

--- End quote ---
Nice writeup MR, very useful info for everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version