Author Topic: Custom packaging for your product - how?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline SaimounTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Custom packaging for your product - how?
« on: April 19, 2021, 06:59:32 am »
Hi :)

I already asked a few months ago and already got some (very helpful) answers but I have now a more concrete situation :D

I have a product which has a rectangular shape 126x75x39mm, but also has a large round knob of 32x14 (see picture).

Is cardboard a good solution for packaging it, and will it be "easy" for a manufacturer to construct a cardboard box that will "fit" the device, including the knob (and not just a simple rectangular shape)?
I.e. something like that:

Or should I go for something else, like a simple cardboard with a foam insert f.x.?

Thank you :)

Offline lutkeveld

• Regular Contributor
Re: Custom packaging for your product - how?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 07:19:21 am »
Blister inserts are also a cost effective solution and can be made from ESD safe material

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:12:45 am »
Custom cardboard boxes are cheap enough, you will pay however for the design of the cutting dies, and also they tend to have a minimum number of units you have to order.  Can you not see if a manufacturer of cardboard boxes has a ready made version that will suit you, and then simply make a cheaper cut board to have the knob supported, which is a lot cheaper to do, and your box at least will be off the shelf size wise. Pretty much all corrugated carton manufacturers will do so, and try your local suppliers first, then look at neighbouring countries, Poland will probably be cheaper than Denmark because of lower wages, so try there as well, and shipping will be easier for this, as cardboard shipping is quite expensive, as it is done using volumetric mass.

Otherwise a regular box and a die cut foam insert, either in polystyrene, or other foams if you need more flex, or a custom cut urethane foam for fragile parts, but those are both more expensive and less environmentally friendly as they are typically harder to recycle, unlike cardboard.

Offline AlexanderB

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 12:25:25 pm »
From the slightly more hack perspective, 3d print a mold and use shredded cardboard flakes soaked in water to press inserts, egg carton style?. Probably not the best way to go about it, but it's an option, and probably very eco friendly.

For small batches you could also consider laser cutting the cardboard inserts, no need for custom tooling and minimum batches that way.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »
Raw cardboard outers are a good fairly tough way to pack and if you use a good inner then shipping can be done in a plastic bag to save some money that end. Also using a well designed inner might let you use a 'standard' outer box which will be a lot cheaper in small quantities for you.

For your inners cardboard is still an option and in small runs Laser cutting will compare well against having a die made.

Blow molded or Vacuum formed inner can be done but they provide little to zero additional protection to your device so you are going to be relying on your outer.

Laser or hot wire cut and glued EVA or EPP foams are a good solution for lower quantities. I did a small custom insert job recently for myself below just as an idea of the cut result. Plenty of crush and shake protection with this option and also within reason a low damage or marking solution for your product.

Also found a few pics of a Fusion 360 model I was playing with and produced in some cereal box cardboard ;) Sheetmetal part of it if anyone is interested

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:01:34 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 07:49:54 am »
Hi all
Thank you for your replies! It helps a lot :D

I think I really like the all-cardboard option then, both for the prototypes but also for when we go to production. Cheap and environmentally friendly seems perfect!
And very good point about using an outer box that is already the right size, then yes only the inside piece needs to be custom made :)

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:56 pm »
Hi all
Thank you for your replies! It helps a lot :D

I think I really like the all-cardboard option then, both for the prototypes but also for when we go to production. Cheap and environmentally friendly seems perfect!
And very good point about using an outer box that is already the right size, then yes only the inside piece needs to be custom made :)
One thing to be aware of, box measurements are often imprecise. I have bought three different 4x6x1.5 boxes for shipping and they all have slightly different actual dimensions - a bit more than 1/4"/6mm difference.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 07:24:10 am »
Ok nice to know  ;)

I actually got one of the manufacturers to design the inner for me, they will know their own tolerances so that should be fine :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf